Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Monday Roll Call for August 8th  (Read 6397 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Monday Roll Call for August 8th
« on: August 08, 2011 at 09:17 AM »
Hello! Today is a special day for KEC.

It was three years ago today that I decided to create a website devoted to helping women prevent preterm birth and to provide a forum where they could share their experiences and seek support from other moms experiencing high-risk pregnancies. My son was not quite 3 weeks old, and he had made it to 39 weeks and 3 days, though he tried his hardest to get here early. (You can read more about his story, and his sister's story, here: http://www.keepemcookin.com/about.aspx) I had learned so much about preventing preterm birth, I knew I wanted to share it. I launched KeepEmCookin the first week of January 2009.

It is so wonderful to have all of you in my life and to see the amazing support you offer one another! Thank you for being here!

So... Let us know how many weeks along you are, and tell us how you're feeling. Do you have any appointments this week or any news to report from last week? I know long-time member Threadcatcher has news to share. Can't wait to hear her birth story!

Keep 'em cookin', mamas!
Angela

Join our live chats Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2 pm Eastern: http://www.keepemcookin.com/thechatroom.aspx
Symptoms of preterm labor: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx
Follow Keep 'Em Cookin' on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KeepEmCookin

Mom2Z

• View Profile
Re: Monday Roll Call for August 8th
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011 at 10:15 AM »
Angela - we thank you SO much for putting together this site and maintaining it!  It's such a source of strength for us!!  Thank you and Happy Anniversary!!!

TODAY IS STITCH REMOVAL DAY!!  I'm a little freaked out...I know I'm in an amazing place for me at 35+5...I mean...who would have ever thought that the lady in almost every category of high risk would ever be able to carry twins THIS far...Doc doesn't think I'll pop today, but that it probably wont be long.  BUT, if it happens and I meet my sweet nameless boy and girl today that everything should be OK.  I think I'm more scared of this whole birth thing...When my son was born I got no warning...no time to stress.  Last year when I lost my daughter they kept me nice and "out of it".  Now I'm fully aware...eeeek.  OK, I'm rambling now.  Anyway...I'll take any prayers today...I'll post once I am stitch free.   ;D
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

jennalyns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011 at 10:17 AM »
Congratulations on your milestone! This is such a great resource - hope you keep it cookin' for a long time to come. :)

I'm still cookin'. Tomorrow I have my first follow up after my doctor dropped the bed rest bomb on me, and it will mark the end of my first week of bed rest.

My numbers for this week:
Weeks: 24
Weeks left on bed rest: 8
Tears: Many
Laughs: Some, but not as many as tears. Yet.
Hours spent on pregnancy pillow: too many to count
Hours spent on pregnancy pillow by the cats: almost as much as me

amylynn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 at 10:30 AM »
Yes Congratulations on the milestone! Thank you for providing this place.  I have learned a lot just be reading previous threads and posts.  I'm Amy-Lynn and I am 23 weeks pregnant.  I have IC measuring in at 1.4cm last week.  No cerclage.  I've been on bed rest for 2.5 weeks and hope to make to 36 weeks.  I've been having BH contractions the last 3 days, a little alarming but I go to the doctor for my weekly ultrasound and visit with the OB and I plan to discuss this at length. 
edd 12/3/2011
IC no cerclage
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss 7 1st trimester losses 2005-2009
1 ectopic pregnancy 2010

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011 at 11:08 AM »
Congrats on the 3-year anniversary!!!

Mom - congrats on getting your stitches removed.
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

twinsat44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011 at 02:04 PM »
Congratulations Angela and KEC!!  This is such an awesome place for support and information and I am so happy I found it!

Mom2Z- happy stitch removal day!

As for me, I am 21 weeks and 4 days and have been on bedrest for 7.5 weeks so far.  I have IC and cerclage. 

This past week I have had a UTI and then a yeast infection from the antibiotic, UGH is all I can say :(

My mom and sister are visiting and we are setting up my registry for baby things!  FUN, FUN, FUN.  7.5 weeks ago I would have never thought I would be doing that!!!

Happy cooking ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!

babyrom

• View Profile
    • 43 and Pregnant
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011 at 02:33 PM »
Happy Anniversary to KEC and a BIG thank you to Angela for coming up with this site!  It has been a great resource and a source of inspiration and support.

WOW Mom2Z...stitch removal!  So happy you have made it this far, you have done so well!  Good luck with the removal.  I am not too far behind you.

I am 32w3d today and it surprises me everyday how far I have come.  They have started talking about my stitch removal, around the 36 week mark.  My doctor last week wants me to get up from bed rest and slowly start moving around more to build my stamina for labour.  He told me I was going to eventually have to "push" and when he said that it really hit a nerve with me.  All along I have been concentrating on keeping this baby in, I have never really thought of preparing myself for getting him out.  It does scare me in a way, just because the last two labours I went through were totally unexpected and the result was traumatizing with the losses.  I know this time is different, but I just hope that the emotional pain from the previous losses doesn't get triggered as I go through this labour.  I haven't been able to get to any prenatal classes, although I have watched a video or two from the hospital.

Good luck ladies! Glad to see everyone doing so well!
Due Date - Sept. 30/11 - A little boy!
Two angel babies - Baby Marina born March 1/03 at 20 wks cause unknown. Baby Aimee born Feb.17/08 at 16wks after failed elective cerclage.
This Pregnancy:  Cerclage placed on May 5/11 been on bedrest since.
Natural Conception at 43!  Baby due on my 44th Bday

Couchdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011 at 05:03 PM »
Hi ladies!  Well today I had an amnio done to see that my little guys lungs were ready to do their job.  I'm waiting to hear back from the doc today and see if everything is going ok.  If things are well, I should be delivering my little guy tomorrow or Wed!!  Yikes!!  They don't really want me to go into labor with my stitch (which is still in).  My doc said he'd just like to do the stitch removal and c-section at the same time - which I'm actually thankful for since I was worried about a painful stitch removal.  I never thought I'd make it this far - 38 weeks + 1 day today!   I thank God for every day I have been pregnant - it has been quite a trying time on bedrest.  Keep going ladies - it's obviously worth it in the end!!  I was on bedrest for 16 weeks - not quite sure how I survived it, but it wasn't too bad looking back now. 

Angela - thanks for making this site possible.  It has helped me through my bedrest and has kept me going when things were hard!!  I appreciate it!!

Keep cookin' ladies.  I will update the site once I have my little one - and post some pictures!!  Thanks to all of you for your support and I'm so glad that there is this site to keep us all "sane".  :)

Lori
Mom of 2: Ella 5 yrs, Adeline 19 mos
Baby Boy due Aug 21, 11 (c-section scheduled for 8/15)
Bedrest since 20 wks, IC & cerclage @ 22 wks

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011 at 05:57 PM »
Happy 3 Years to KEC and Angela!

I am at week 34. Did a hospital tour on the weekend to get a sense of what to expect. Though my dr does not seem worried about my cervix (thinks I might just have a short cervix to begin with) I will be seeing an OB to check it out more in depth on Thurs. Taking it easy and keeping cool :)
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

lilcapmom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011 at 08:06 PM »
Hi Ladies,
Congrats on the KEC 3 yr mark.  It's been a helpful site to me through two pregnancies and I appreciate your time and dedication you put into the site.

I am 37 weeks today, so have officially made it to full term! My doctors appointment went well again today. Baby looked good on the NST and my blood pressure is behaving well. My C-section is scheduled for 8/22, so my little one will be here soon. Now my husband and I just need to settle on a name.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Sheri

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011 at 09:46 PM »
Whoohoo! Look at these full-term mommies! And many of you just a couple of weeks away from full-term!  ;D

Keep it up ladies! You all really are doing the most important job on Earth.

By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for the Idea of the Day (featured here each week day: http://www.keepemcookin.com/bedrest.aspx) please let me know. I'm struggling to come up with something new.  ??? Thanks!

Angela

threacatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011 at 10:44 PM »
Hi Ladies!  ;D I can't believe this is my last Roll call. =/ It's so surreal.

Anywho, last week was absolutely crazy. I had my 39 week ob appointment last Monday. My feet had swollen up painfully on Sunday night,(Enough that I could only fit into my flip flops, and barely those) and when I went in for my appointment, my blood pressure was really high, I had gained ten pounds, and had a racing pulse. They took labs to rule out pre-eclampsia and sent me home. My symptoms got worse later on that night, and so we made a trip to L&D. They took more labs, but sent me home because my blood pressure had gone back to normal. They told me to follow up with my Ob the next day.

The next morning I go to my OB appointment, with my feet even more swollen. I had to borrow my hubby's sandals and could barely walk.  My blood pressure was still high, so they took a new set of labs, and sent me home. We had dinner with my in laws that night, and right after dinner, contractions hit really really hard. I had never felt ones like that before, so we started timing them. They were consistently at 6 minutes apart. My hubby and I headed home, so I could take a bath and see if that would stop them. It didn't. I labored through the night, with the contractions getting more painful.(Enough so that I couldn't talk through any of them)

I sent my hubby to work the next morning(since they were still 6 minutes apart). About ten minutes after he left, the contractions dropped to 3 minutes apart. I called my hubby to tell him to come back home( he had just arrived at work. haha) He headed home, and my mom drove us to L&D.  By the time we got to L&D, my contractions had slowed down again. After monitoring me for almost an hour, they told me I was in the early stages of labor, and that I should go home to be more comfortable and labor there. We decided to go walking to help things speed up. Everytime I would walk, my contractions would go down to 4 minutes consistently. Within ten minutes of sitting down and resting, they would go back up to 6 minutes. We spent the night at my parents' house so they could take me in immediately if need be.

I labored through the night again( 2 days of no sleep and counting at this point). About 8 AM the next morning, I was sitting watching tv with my dad, and my contractions went down to 5 minutes apart. another hour later, they were down to 4 minutes apart. At this point I started getting excited since I was resting and not walking. We headed in to L&D and they admitted me( finally) because I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. (I had been 2cm and 20% for weeks) I was exhausted at this point, so I opted to get an epidural right away so I try to get some rest. The doctor came to check my cervix again 2 hours later to see if I would need Pitocin to help speed things up. I didn't need it. I had dilated to 6cm and was completely effaced! They said they would check up on me a few hours later.

I was finally 10 cm at 8 PM. The doctors were doing a c-section at this point, so they had me "labor down." My epidural was starting to wear off, so they called the anesthesiologist to come and give me some extra medicine. The doctors finally came in at 9 Pm and told me I could start pushing. I pushed for 2  1/2 hours before I couldn't take anymore. The pain was unbearable, and she was moving nowhere. They called the anestheiologist again to give me another extra dose. By this time, the doctors were doing another c-section (they left the first year resident with us) so we had to wait for them to finish to come and talk about our options. We had found out that the baby's head was tilted left, so it was making it harder for her to come out. She was almost crowning at this point, but we couldn't get her to progress any farther. Half an hour later, the doctors showed up with the pediatrics team. (The had found meconium in the amniotic fluid) and we decided to use a suction to get her out.

Finally once all of that was set up, another half an hour of pushing, and she was here. With a full head of hair, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester was born at 12:34 AM. She weighed 7lbs 3oz and was 20 inches long. She had a rash and a fever,(I had group B strep) so she was taken to the NICU. We were only allowed to have her every 3 hours for half an hour so I could feed her. On Saturday, we got our time upped with her as her 24 hour scans had come back clean. On Sunday, at 3 AM, she was discharged from the NICU back to our room, and we were discharged later that afternoon.

I am so in love with this little girl, and the 26 weeks of bedrest, with all of the complications that came with it, was completely worth it.

Angela- Thank you so much for providing this place for me. It was such a helpful outlet. Congrats on making it 3 years! Here's to many more!
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011 at 11:09 PM »
What an awesome birth story...the closer I get the more these stories move me to tears.

I've spent a little time in tears today...I got bumped from the schedule for my stitch removal by the hospital.  My doc and peri are both really pissed.  I was bumped b/c the hospital said I should be 36 weeks and I'm 35+5.  Hospital politics I guess.  Anyway, I saw the doc today at the office and all is the same...lots of irritability...ugh..probably worse today because I'm annoyed.  The good thing is that when the stitch comes out Monday (been rescheduled) I'll be 36+5 and feeling super safe...but God help me, 10 lbs of baby is kicking my butt.
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011 at 06:41 PM »
26 weeks 4 days today!  Yippee! :)

Went to the dr today and everything looks unchanged from last week (yay!).  And baby is weighing in at 2lbs. 1oz.  Next up is another FFN test tomorrow at the hospital... Ugh.
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

JacErnst

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011 at 02:12 PM »
Congrats on 3 years Ange - you have made a huge impact on so many women! Thanks for all you do.

Congrats on getting to another week ladies! you're all doing so well.

I'm so exited to welcome Liannea to the world! So happy that you made it to 39 weeks. Be sure to pop back in on the chat room so we can hear even more about her.

hugs to everyone! You're all doing so great!
Jac
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor