Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New here bed rest at 33 weeks  (Read 3622 times)

SuzeB

• View Profile
New here bed rest at 33 weeks
« on: May 15, 2009 at 06:36 PM »
Hi,
I'm Susan, mum to Charlie, 4, Felix, 2, and 33+3 pregnant.

When I was 30 weeks pregnant I went to hospital with strong contractions, 2 in 10 minutes although still irregular. I was put on an Atosiban drip and given ann injection of steroids then transferred to a hospital that had special care cots available.

I was in hospital for a week, had no examinations as they didn't want to 'disrupt' my cervix. I was sent home on Nifedipine, with a diagnosis of probably Irritable Uterus.

A few days later pains were stronger again so went in to local hospital only to be told they don't send people home on Nifedipine, and that as my pains were irregular I could go home but on bedrest but no Nif.

Three days later, strong, regular pains start again, along with a show so back in to hospital. I am slowly dilating but have been told they won't now stop it, despite the fact that the Nifedipine clearly helped ease the contractions and the pain. I've been told if I go in to established labour they will now do nothing to stop it.

After 3 days in hospital I am now back home but on bed rest, going mad but very glad to still be pregnant :-)

Does anyone have any experience of Nifedipine?? Do you think it's worth me asking for a second opinion as to starting to take it again?

Sorry for the long post!

Suze xxxx

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: New here bed rest at 33 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM »
Hi, Suze.
Welcome to the forum. A second opinion would probably ease your mind . Every mom wants to know she's doing all she can do keep her baby safely cookin'.

Everyone is different, of course, but I'll share my experience with nifedipine (brand name: Procardia). I started nifedipine at 24 weeks when my cervix had shortened to 1.5 cm and I was in the hospital for contractions. They kept me there for 2 days to see how my body responded to it, then sent me home on it. It worked VERY well (along with bed rest) for limiting the number of contractions I'd have in a day. A few times we had to increase my dose, when I would start getting contractions about 15 minutes before the current dose was due. My doctor kept me on it until 37 weeks. Another doctor in her practice prescribes it only until 34 weeks (I saw him a couple of times), but my regular doc and I are of the same opinion: If you find something that works, why not keep those babies cookin' as long as possible?!?

I will say though, I've talked with women who have experienced very low blood pressure, dizziness and vomiting. In my case, it made me feel like a zombie, but it was tolerable. My little guy arrived at 39 +4. :+) If you do go back on it, you may want to get a blood pressure cuff so you can monitor your BP at home. If mine was too low, I was instructed to skip a dose. Also, if your BP is higher than normal, keep a VERY close eye on it when you go off the nifedipine. I developed (discovered?) pre-e when I went off of it.

Keep us posted!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM by Angela »

kaitibear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009 at 04:51 AM »
I am 32 weeks and began having contractions this past weekend. I have also dialated 1 and a half cm. Dr sent me to hospital to be monitored and then sent me home on procardia every 6 hours. Has anyone every dialated and held off for a couple more weeks?

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009 at 05:11 PM »
Kaitibear,
 Here are some replies from the folks at Twitter:

From NikiD22: i am 32 weeks and dilated to 2 cm... also with my daughter at 29 weeks i was 3 and half cms and managed to make it to 33 1/2

From Jazziy:  I was 1 cm with my son for almost 12 weeks and no bed rest and weekly visits to my doc.

From chukwumaonyeije:  Many patients will dilate 4-6 weeks before actual delivery. Ask your doc about FFN test. Also ask about a cervical length by ultrasound. It's more reliable than a digital exam to tell your risk. Good luck.

From laura1109: I know of a lady that was pregnant with triplets at 31 weeks dilated at 5 and made it to 35 weeks+ in full hospital bedrest.

From fentonslee: i was 2cm for like a month with DD

And I dilated a cm or so every few weeks, holding steady at 4cm dilated for about 3 weeks. With bed rest and Procardia/nifeipine, made it to 39 weeks. Stay positive! And keep us posted.  (Here's more info on the FNN test: www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx)

SuzeB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009 at 05:20 PM »
Hi Katibear :-)

I am 2cm, have been for a week, with no further signs of progression despite numerous contractions. I am SURE bedrest is helping take the pressure off my cervix and slow down dilation.

I wish you all the best

xxxxx