Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New to the Group  (Read 2021 times)

ABig30

• View Profile
New to the Group
« on: August 26, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
Hello All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and tell everyone I am so happy to find a group/forum that knows exactly what we are going through.

I was diagnosed with an IC at 18w and have been on bedrest since then (now 24w).  My doctors want me to remain this way until at least 30w and then we can reassess the whole bedrest situation. I had a cerclage put in at 18w and my cervix was at between 1.4- 1.9cm.  Since then, my bi-weekly ultrasounds have shown 1.9cm, 1.7cm, and my last measurement was 1.4cm and down to the stitch with funnelling (always there since the cerclage). 

The whole bedrest thing was so foreign to me; how can I go from working, grocery shopping, going to the gym, etc...to just lying in bed?  My husband has been great with the whole thing and now does EVERYTHING around the house.  We don't have any other kiddies (just a fur baby!) so I guess we are lucky in that sense.  We currently live in a city that is 4 hours away from ALL of our family and friends (here in current city as hubby finishes up his graduate degree); so needless to say, the support is not here.  My family and friends have been taking turns coming to visit on the weekends, which is great to look forward to as the weeks go by.  We are expecting the inlaws this weekend, my sis and hubby next weekend and then we have no scheduled visitors in Sept, and my parents aren't coming again until Thanksgiving (Canadian Thanksgiving- so that's Oct!). So, I'm thinking that September will be a difficult month to get through.

I"m very grateful to find a group where we can talk about what's on our minds and really know where each other is coming from. 
Bedrest on July 14, 2011  (17 weeks)for incompetent cervix and cerclage.
Off bedrest on November 8, 2011 (34 weeks)
Mom to beautiful baby girl Amélie born on November 22, 2011 (36 +4)

babyrom

• View Profile
    • 43 and Pregnant
Re: New to the Group
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011 at 09:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  This is a great place to find support and encouragement, we are all in the same boat here and can empathize with the situation, something that friends and family cannot always do.

I had a cerclage placed at 19 weeks when my cervix went down to 1.9cm and was put on bedrest.  The first two weeks were the hardest, but then once I developed a routine for myself and set daily and weekly goals the time flew by much faster.  I am proud to say that I am now 35weeks 2 days!!  It has been a very long haul filled with fear, anxiety but also joy as we reached each milestone.  The doctors never expected me to get this far, they call me their poster child for the hospital and I will go down in their record books for years to come.  My bedrest rules have relaxed as of 33 weeks, I started moving around more and finally getting out for short excursions.  I am only 12 days away from a term baby, which is an absolute miracle!  So hang in there.  You can do this!!!  Try to stay positive and set little goals for yourself (ie. getting to 28w, then 30, 32, etc).

From one Canadian to another! 
Due Date - Sept. 30/11 - A little boy!
Two angel babies - Baby Marina born March 1/03 at 20 wks cause unknown. Baby Aimee born Feb.17/08 at 16wks after failed elective cerclage.
This Pregnancy:  Cerclage placed on May 5/11 been on bedrest since.
Natural Conception at 43!  Baby due on my 44th Bday