Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Prometrium/Progesterone Vaginal Suppository  (Read 14020 times)

ABig30

• View Profile
Prometrium/Progesterone Vaginal Suppository
« on: September 02, 2011 at 07:41 PM »
My peri put me on this medication and I was trying to do some research and am unclear as to what benefits it has?  Does this reduce the risk of pre-term labour?  Does this help strengthen my cervix (have a IC with cerclage)?  The studies out there that I have come across all have to do with the TTC stage or maintaining pregnancy before week 12.  I am 25 weeks, so clearly this is for something else.

Also, has anyone used this before?  Is there any trick on inserting them in (sorry, TMI).  I've only used it for 2 days, but I feel that both times, it all leaks out and am scared that it's not doing what its suppose to do.  I was told to lie down for at least 30 mins after, which works out for me because I'm on bedrest.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Bedrest on July 14, 2011  (17 weeks)for incompetent cervix and cerclage.
Off bedrest on November 8, 2011 (34 weeks)
Mom to beautiful baby girl Amélie born on November 22, 2011 (36 +4)

autoimmunelife

• View Profile
Re: Prometrium/Progesterone Vaginal Suppository
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
My understanding is that in the first trimester it serves to stabilize the uterine lining, that's why I was on it, to help make the lining able to sustain my daughter.
My peri took me off of it after the first trimester.... he said there wasn't a point for me to be on it anymore.

They put me on other meds after that point when I started having preterm labor.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011 at 04:21 PM »
Hi, ABig30!

Progesterone (as a suppository or an injection) helps to keep the cervix calm and stable.  There was a study in 2003 where women who received vaginal progesterone suppositories had a preterm birth rate of 2.7 percent, compared to 18.6 percent in the placebo group. Many docs have been recommending it since then.

More recently, in a 2010 study that included pregnant women with a short cervical length measured by ultrasound from 19 weeks up to 24 weeks, the daily vaginal progesterone gel led to a 45 percent reduction in the number of preterm births prior to 33 weeks. You can read more about that here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/uog.9017/abstract

Sounds like you have a great doc doing everything possible. And good for you for being so proactive about you care! Looking forward to seeing you here for many, many weeks to come!  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011 at 04:37 PM by Angela »

KayEm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011 at 09:52 PM »
I did IVF and was on the suppositories for most of my first trimester. I found that running warm water over the suppository to soften it up before insertion helped less leak out...I think I picked up that tip from a fertility forum. Good luck!
Baby girl b/d 9/22/10 (IC) at 17.5 wks
Baby boy born 11/9/11 at 37w6d after cerclage and 13 wks bed rest

amylynn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011 at 08:38 PM »
I was on prometrium vaginal suppositories during the first trimester to help maintain my uterine lining.  I have a history of 1st trimester loss, so that was the reasoning then.  At 15 weeks when my doctor diagnosed me with IC he prescribed the vaginal prometrium again to keep the cervic strong and stable.  As far as inserting them I put one foot up on the toilet and stick it in as far as I can (sorry I know TMI).  When I first started taking them it seemed like a lot dissolved out, before I was on bed rest.  Laying down for 30 minutes after always seemed to help.  I did ask my doc about the shots versus the suppository.  He said the research was showing the suppositories to work just as well.  I'm on hospital bedrest now and still on the prometrium vaginally.
edd 12/3/2011
IC no cerclage
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss 7 1st trimester losses 2005-2009
1 ectopic pregnancy 2010

JacErnst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011 at 10:24 AM »
I was on suppositories for 11 weeks, and it worked great!! it's not fun, but it did help stablize my IC. There are no negative side effects of it, so if it helps it's worth it.
Just a tip - don't wear nice undies - it ate through a pair of mine. thank goodness for Hanes cheapies at walmart.

hugs. ask any quesitons you have. we're all here to help
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor