Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Interested in your cerclage removal experience!!  (Read 5422 times)

momof26weeker

• View Profile
Interested in your cerclage removal experience!!
« on: September 18, 2011 at 02:34 PM »
I will be having my cercalge removed in 3 weeks. I am astonished that I made it this far and hope to make it to the removal date. I am curious what your experience was like and if you were dilated after the removal. And of course the big question, how soon did you go into labor after it was removed? Thanks for sharing!! 
Mom to 26 weeker born 9/2009
Baby #2 - due 11/6/11

momofbabyblue

• View Profile
Re: Interested in your cerclage removal experience!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011 at 09:03 PM »
Mine was removed at 35 weeks because my water had broken. The process wasn't terrible. The doctor who put it in attached "buttons" to the ends so the stitch was easy to find. The part that was unpleasant was the speculum. The doctor had to crank it wide open to get to the stitch and then left it in and cranked open while she went on and on about how "cool" the stitch was. So basically, it wouldn't have been bad at all if the doctor had just removed the speculum more quickly! I had been a little dilated before the stitch was taken out and then immediately dilated to 3cm when it was removed. I was already in labor when the stitch was taken out & my baby was born less than 12 hours later!

Hope your stitch removal is as painless as it can be!

Michelle
due 8/1 - a girl
Mom to Blue, born 10/7/09 @ 37 weeks
Bedrest @ 22 weeks due to short cervix

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011 at 01:48 AM »
I am having mine removed a week from Monday provided I make it that far (i hope so) I will be 33w6d.  I will let you know how it goes.  I do know that my removal is taking place more or less the same way it went in - I will be receving an epidural and the procedure will be performed in the OR.  I am a bit scared the cerclage has been my security blanket and I fear all bets are off once it comes out.  But the doctor thinks the benefits of taking it out outweigh the risks - thye really don't want me to go into labour with it in and risk tearing the cervix. And considering this a twin pregnancy the odds of going into labour early are high - along with my risk factors!
Natural boy/girl twins!!
EDD November 1, 2011 (based on 38 weeks)
Bed rest at 20 weeks for cervical shortening
Cerclage placed at 21 weeks after further shortening
13 weeks and 1 day of strict bed rest and Mario and Amelia made their appearance at 33 weeks and 4 days on October 1, 2011!

KayEm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM »
Hope everything went well yesterday!  How are you doing? Any sigs of labor? My removal is coming up soon (10/28), and I am so curious to see how long I go before labor starts...
Baby girl b/d 9/22/10 (IC) at 17.5 wks
Baby boy born 11/9/11 at 37w6d after cerclage and 13 wks bed rest

momof26weeker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM »
I dilated to 2cm after it was removed and was contracting regularly. My water broke about an hour later and I delivered a healthy baby girl about 26 hrs after the cerclage was removed!! I went to my appt intending to leave cercalge free, and 3 days later I brought home my baby...it's still surreal!
Mom to 26 weeker born 9/2009
Baby #2 - due 11/6/11

KayEm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM »
Congratulations, momof26weeker!!!  I have a feeling my story will be similar. I ended up back in the hospital for a day last week because I was having contractions every 6-7 minutes. I am not dilated and my cervix is stable at 2.4 cm, but the little guy is already at zero station (engaged). Less than two weeks until my removal...I am going to take my hospital bag with me!
Baby girl b/d 9/22/10 (IC) at 17.5 wks
Baby boy born 11/9/11 at 37w6d after cerclage and 13 wks bed rest