Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: dilated to 1 already... is that okay?  (Read 3884 times)

bubblegirl214

• View Profile
dilated to 1 already... is that okay?
« on: December 07, 2011 at 02:01 PM »
Hi there! I just got back from a doctor's appt. I'm 33 weeks and 2 days today. The doc checked my cervix and I'm dilated to one already, but the cerclage is holding my cervix together, as it's supposed to do. Three weeks from today I get my stitch out. I'm going to lay super low between now and then so I can make it the full three weeks, and hopefully beyond. I am curious though... is it possible to be dilated to one for weeks and not go farther? I thought I saw some ladies post that they are dilated to one and just stayed there... I'd love to hear stories so I know it is possible! Thank you!

angelwalsh

• View Profile
Re: dilated to 1 already... is that okay?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011 at 02:07 PM »
Hi there!

I just read your post and wanted to respond that yes, it is possible to be dilated and stay there.  I have been dilated to one since 26 weeks and was still about the same when I went in on Monday! I will be 30 weeks this Friday.  I did not have a cerlage in place, but besides a little more funneling each week, everything else seems to be holding strong. 

The doctors told me at 26 weeks that I probably wouldn't make it to 28, but I did... then they said 30 and I am almost there so have faith you could keep cooking for another month or more!!!

My best friend just had her second baby at 40weeks4days after being dilated to a 1 for almost 2 months so I know it is possible!

Boy/girl twins EDD Feb 17, 2011
Bed rest beginning at 26 weeks 5 days

bubblegirl214

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011 at 05:29 PM »
Thank you for the reply. That helps to hear! Is the best preventative thing just to continue to stay off my feet and limiting my activity as much as possible? Also staying hydrated?

angelwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011 at 09:47 PM »
I do drink lots of water, but that didn't keep me from PTL (though I know it helps with limiting contractions).

My previous doctor put me on strict bedrest at 26 weeks and told me to only move around to go to the bathroom so that I was not putting pressure on my cervix.  My current doctor (that delivers at a Level 4 NICU hospital) told me that he thinks modified bedrest will be sufficient.  He said that we are past the critical development stage and that these babies are going to come when they are ready no matter what I do.  He told us that there is not any proof that bedrest will prolong pregnancy, but there is no proof that it hurts either and since I am still hanging in there 3+ weeks later, I am believing that it definitely isn't hurting me!

I do notice a lot more tightening and pressure when I am up moving around too much, so I think that limiting movement as much as possible can only help!

Boy/girl twins EDD Feb 17, 2011
Bed rest beginning at 26 weeks 5 days

bubblegirl214

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011 at 03:14 PM »
Is there anything in particular I should be watching for to know if I'm progressing in labor at all? I know people have said 4-6 BH contractions within an hour is when you should go in just to confirm that everything's okay. I've had a few very clear BH contractions, but then I have a lot of tightening that I can't quite tell if it's BH or not, so I'd prefer to just lay low if I can't tell. Thoughts?

ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012 at 01:10 PM »
Wow Ladies, I am glad to hear that even with being dilated you can pull it through.... i am 24 +5, cervix of 1.3 and funneling but with a cerclage.... bedrest for me and hoping for the best.... 2 nd pregnacy on bedrest  for me by the looks of things!! The only trouble is we went on holiday where my cervix gave in and I have to pray to god that the flight won't make my condition any worse!!!

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012 at 07:18 PM »
 i really don't agree with t "babies will come out when they're ready" approach :o  mine is defenitely not ready yet and i won't breath easy untill at least 35wk! I know they have chances of survival etc, but also t risks are higher t earlier they come out. It's only my cervix that's boycotting my pregnacy. There's no proof that bed rest works 100% for anyone, but i've read more stories of people making it to full term on bedrest, or at least close to full term, than anyone saying they ignored t option to do bedrest and all wet fine.
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35