Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: POLL: Do you think there is a genetic link to preterm labor/preterm birth?  (Read 5303 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Do you think there is a genetic link to preterm labor and/or preterm birth? Why or why not? Did your mother or grandmother have issues with preterm labor or preterm birth? Your sisters?

If anyone is able to find a study that explores a genetic link, please let me know...

UPDATE (2/8/2010): New Research Shows Genes Of Pregnant Women And Their Fetuses Can Increase The Risk Of Preterm Labor. Click here: www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 at 08:17 AM by Angela »

Smily

• View Profile
    • Parenting Premmies
I realise this is an old topic, but one thats interests me.

I believe that some people are pre-determined to have premmies. When my second came early they took cord blood and my blood for a study they are doing here in West Aus.

I am the first in both our families to have a premature baby, I am the first to have a late m/c (17 weeks) and I'm the first to have pregnancy complications resulting in bedrest and medical interventions.
Brendan 25/02/07 30+1 due to PPROM @ 28wks, Spontaneous Labour & Chorioamnionitis. His Apgar Scores were 2:4 W1545gms (3lb 6oz)
Tristan 19/06/09 34+3 due to Spontaneous Labour. His Apgar Scores were 6:6 W3090gms (6lb 13oz)
Facebook Pag

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Here's my experience. My grandmother was a preemie, my mom was a preemie, her sister's first baby was a preemie. And my two kids tried their darndest to be preemies!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
I am thrilled to see this kind of research being done!

UPDATE (2/8/2010): New Research Shows Genes Of Pregnant Women And Their Fetuses Can Increase The Risk Of Preterm Labor. Click here: www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx

Does anyone have a personal experience to share? Does preterm labor or preterm birth seem to run in your family?

DFTLEE

• View Profile
Angela,
This is exciting news! Actually, I have a couple of friends that had unexplained stillbirths and one they found was due to a viral infection. I wonder....I saw a brief news brief about this. Thanks for posting the entire article and citation. I am bookmarking it to follow the progress on the research.

Darline

AboutPreemies

• View Profile
Evidence is really piling up for a genetic link to preterm birth. <a href="http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/2010/06000/Inherited_Predisposition_to_Spontaneous_Preterm.6.aspx>Another new study[/url] was published this week also looking at the possible link - this newest study looked at over 22,000 Scottish women and found that moms who were born premature themselves had a 50-60% greater chance of having a premature baby than moms who were born at term.
:-) Cheryl

Visit me at preemies.about.com

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
Perhaps what we think is genetic is really due to our nutrition and lifestyle that has passed down through generations....
After all, the way we (women) cook is usually how mom cooks.  If that is the case, genetics plays a much smaller role.

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
Evidence is really piling up for a genetic link to preterm birth. <a href="http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/2010/06000/Inherited_Predisposition_to_Spontaneous_Preterm.6.aspx>Another new study[/url] was published this week also looking at the possible link - this newest study looked at over 22,000 Scottish women and found that moms who were born premature themselves had a 50-60% greater chance of having a premature baby than moms who were born at term.

The conclusion of the study states this:
"CONCLUSION: Women born spontaneously preterm or with siblings delivered in a similar manner have an increased risk of spontaneous preterm delivery in their own pregnancies."

If this is true, it makes me very sad for my children.  I thought this was a burden that I had to deal with, but to know that it could potentially be their burden too, makes me sad  :(

My paternal grandmother did deliver preemie twins that did not survive.  Otherwise we don't have any history of it in our family.  Quite the opposite actually.  I was fully expecting to deliver a 10 lb baby!!!!! 

vikki

Do you think there is a genetic link to preterm labor and/or preterm birth? Why or why not? Did your mother or grandmother have issues with preterm labor or preterm birth? Your sisters?

If anyone is able to find a study that explores a genetic link, please let me know...

I think it can be genetic, and not just on the female side, my daughter was 14 weeks early, my brother in laws son was 8 weeks early, his cousin (a girl ) was 14 weeks early, my husbands family are from Zimbabwe and i'm from England so i feel it is genetic rather than environment ie, diet and lifestyle, because i have a considerably different life style to what my husbands family did in Africa. x