Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 24 weeks, cerculage just put in on Friday...scared to death to even move  (Read 2576 times)

JOANER

• View Profile
Hi, I'm new to this site and new to this whole experience.  I am 33 yrs old and up until last week was having a wonderful 1st pregnancy.  On Thursday I went for an ultrasound as my midwife found something on my placenta.  I was informed by the tech that she needed to do an internal ultrasound as my cervix looked to be much shorter than it should be.  I waited for my midwife to call back and then explain to me what was happening.   I was told to wait at the hospital, she came, did an assessment and wanted an OB's opionion.  A few hours later the OB arrived, did an internal exam, reviewed the ultrasound and said that my cervix had was effacing.  At 20 weeks it was 3.8cms (38mm) and just 4 weeks later it's now 2.2cms(22mm).  She provided my husband and I two options, 1) Cerculage OR 2)leave it alone and hope for the best with rest and monitoring.  We opted for 1 and I was scheduled the very next morning (last Friday).  I have been home from the hospital since Saturday on bed rest for the next few weeks but I'm afraid to do anything...go to the bathroom, go down the stairs, do anything really.  I am already going out of my mind not being able to go out, exercise etc...and it's only day 2.  I'm not sure if the minor cramps I feel (and they are minor not even like menstrual cramps) are just the process of my body healing after the stitch or if I should be worried.  I almost feel like I want to be locked in the hospital so at least every little question I have can be answered.  I'm afraid that I'm going to lose my baby and have to start all over again...what if my stitch was put in too late?  Anyway, thank you for listening to me. 

Fyreflye

• View Profile
That is so scary, thoughts and prayers to you! I dont know a lot about cerculage, but I have been on some degree of bed rest since December and I know not knowing what is going on in there is the hardest thing. Make a list of your questions and ask your Dr/Midwife, call if you have a lot of questions between visits because your mental state is important too!      Fyreflye

justjestoyou

• View Profile
 I had a cerclage placed at about the same time as you I am now 31 wks and counting. I'm on bedrest and am allowed bathroom breaks and snack breaks. Cramping is normal so is alot of discharge.  I wouldn't suggest running up and down stairs or any vigerous excersize.  anything that can cause contractions can be harmful.  My cerclage was at 4 cm and 2 wks later at 1.7 its scary so if you have any questions call your doctor thats what they're there for to help you and your baby the only silly question is the one not asked cuz it could be the one that matters.  I wish you the best of luck.

firsttimemommy

• View Profile

I totally understand how you feel and how you feel like if you jostle anything, you could pop open at any minute...

I had a cerclage at 22 wks and am now at 36 weeks with the cerlage having been removed recently. I was on bed rest the entire time and I am continuing to self impose bed rest so I can try to make it at least one more week. But I agree with justjestoyou... ask your doctor about anything and you can trust that cerclage stich... I saw it when they took it out and it looks like the zip ties that you would use for keeping computer/tv cables organized!! :D

take care and take it easy... don't fight bedrest and go with the flow and it will pass, I promise!