Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Placed on bedrest at 32 weeks due to contractions  (Read 9340 times)

amyers0927

• View Profile
Placed on bedrest at 32 weeks due to contractions
« on: May 27, 2009 at 02:33 AM »
This is my first pregnancy - and it was achieved after in vitro fertilization.  Last Sunday (32 weeks), I started having what felt like mild menstrual cramping.  I ignored them at first and went about my normal routine.  On a whim, I decided to see if I could time them.  They occured every 10-15 minutes or so and activity didn't affect them.  After 10 hours or so, I decided to take a chance and I called the on-call nurse for my OB - doubting still that anything was wrong.  She was concerned that I could actually time the "cramping" and we were then off to the labor and delivery floor.  I expected them to tell me it was Braxton-hicks contractions and I was prepared to feel sheepish.  Nope - the nurse felt my uterus during an episode of cramping and said I just had a moderate contraction.  After getting hooked up to the monitor, it was confirmed - I was having contractions every 8-10 minutes.  I was given the first dose of terbutaline and at first we thought the contractions would stop...but they soon came back.  The second dose didn't do anything.  My FFN was negative (whew!) My OB was on call and she came to check my cervix - long, thick, and closed.  She told me to go home for 2 days of bedrest and follow up on Wednesday - when we would discuss my level of activity and when I could go back to work.  I continued to have contractions all day Monday, but Tuesday they pretty much let up.  I drove myself to the appt on Wednesday and had 8 more contractions in the first hour.  My OB saw my face and knew I was still contracting.  She did an ultrasound - cervix was still long at 4 cm and closed (surprisingly), but she took me off of work and sent me home for bedrest.  Today is day number 8.  I have had to take 3 random doses of nifedipine to stop the contractions.  They pretty much start after any upright activity - a quick shower, making a sandwich for lunch, but I can usually stop them by just lying back down.  I have a followup appt in two days and I hope we still haven't dilated.  My husband doesn't understand what the big deal is about lying on the couch all day while he has to work.  I am trying to get him to understand, but it is drawing a wedge between us.  I am usually a very active person and work full time.  After everything we went through to get pregnant with our little miracle, I feel awful complaining about being on bedrest.  I just pray she keeps cookin a little bit longer:)

ritchiewoman

• View Profile
Re: Placed on bedrest at 32 weeks due to contractions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009 at 01:27 AM »
Hi! Your story sounds a lot like mine.  My contractions always start when I stand up and most of the time I can get them to stop by lying back down.  I'm 29 weeks and not on bedrest yet - just moderate activity.  It is hard to explain to my husband too that it's frustrating to not be able to do anything.  I really think it's because everything is so out of our control.  I would much rather be one of those pregnant ladies out there walking and taking prenatal yoga than laying on the couch or in bed thinking of all the things I could be doing. 

Anyway, good luck - I'll be thinking of you and hoping it all goes by quickly and the contractions stop soon.

:) Amy

artjewl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009 at 12:13 PM »
Sounds familiar to me to.  This is my 3rd pregnancy, and my 2nd surprised us at 34 weeks, so I've been hyper-conscious of anything and everything.  Last Wednesday I pretty much had contractions all day.  Lying down would stop them, but honestly, with 2 kids already, that is such a challenge.  After that episode and a visit to the doctor (where they confirmed that I was still closed & thick, though soft), I got a dr's note to work from home, from the couch.  (I'm so fortunate that my work is understanding & flexible... and that I have a desk job.)  Working from home has helped reduce the contractions, and has kept them irregular.  But at my 34 wk appt yesterday, I found I was dilated 1-2 cm.  Ugh.  I'm blessed that my husband has been so understanding and supportive -- even in the midst of my terrible venomous hormonal outbursts.  But he still doesn't seem to get the urgency I feel.  I've been trying to get him to "get" that I don't think I'll make it past 36 weeks.

I think that if telekinesis is ever mastered by the human race, it will be a frustrated pregnant woman who does so first.

Good luck to you two too!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009 at 12:16 PM by artjewl »

animal0222

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009 at 08:55 PM »
I'm in the same boat! My contractions started at 32wks. I spent a few hours in the hospital and got a terbutaline shot. Thought they stopped and went home. A few hours later they were back again. I went back to L&D for several more hours. Received 3 more terb shots and procardia. They didn't stop but did slow down. The next day back in L&D again. This time I stayed overnight. I was sent home on bedrest and procardia every 4 hours. Still having contractions and by 33wks I was sent back to L&D with contractions every 2-3 minutes apart. I ended up staying 5 days and did 2 days of magnesium sulfate IV. (NOT FUN!) So I was able to  come home on bedrest and the procardia. It's been working much better. I was 50% effaced and cervix closed last Thursday so I'm interested to see if there has been any changes. Good luck and wish you well!  ;D