Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: What have you been doing to fill the time while on bedrest?  (Read 5637 times)

lpolinder51

• View Profile
What have you been doing to fill the time while on bedrest?
« on: November 01, 2011 at 07:17 AM »
Not sure what the rest of you have been doing to keep yourselves sane while on bedrest, but I would love to hear from you. I've been on bedrest for 5 weeks now (only allowed up for the toilet, no sitting either). The first few days I thought I was going to go crazy, but surprisingly it has gotten easier as time passes, and anxiety has lessoned with each week he stays inside. I still have my difficult days, but it has really helped me to think about getting through one more day, rather than one more month.

I've been trying to get some of my normal work done while on my back that is possible to do via the computer, and I'm also working on my masters degree online,  but here are some other things I've been doing...

1) Writing handwritten letters to friends and family.
2) SKYPING with friends and family.
3) Pinterest http://pinterest.com/ (If you haven't discovered it yet, now is the time)
3) Etsy http://www.etsy.com/--A great place to start looking for Christmas gifts when you can't get out.
4) Facebook
5) Watching TV Series (Modern Family, Lost, Breaking Bad). I've been living overseas for the last few years so am catching up on TV in America.
6) Attempting to knit (though I am still terrible).
7) Reading "Sing You Home" by Jodi Picoult
8) Listening to Podcasts (This American Life) (Matt Chandler)

What about the rest of you? What have you been doing to fill your days?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011 at 07:35 AM by lpolinder51 »

Mumtaz

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing to fill the time while on bedrest?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011 at 11:32 AM »
Hi lpolinder,

Welcome!  I read your story and am so sorry for the loss of your daughter.
It's great that you're already further along this time!!!  It was exciting for me when I got beyond 30 weeks because my son was 10 weeks preemie in 2009.  I think bedrest is easier when memories of the nicu are so fresh.  Even though it's easier, let me tell you .. I've still had lots and lots of depressing days. 
Seems like you are doing a great job staying busy, so I don't have anything to add to your list except maybe online games (words with friends) and journaling. Mainly, I just wanted to say hi and to tell you that you're doing a great job.
Keep us posted. Wishing you a healthy full term baby! ;)
Love,
Mumtaz

Motherhen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011 at 09:05 AM »
Sounds like you are doing relatively well with your bed rest. I have been lying on my side for 9 weeks now (25 weeks pregnant with twins). I have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad day. I cried almost all day. On those days it seems impossible to get myself to focus on something to keep me sane. But on good days...much like you...I am spending countless hours reading, watching tv and pinterest. I just read the Hunger Games trilogy in less than 2 days. You should read it...it will buy you a couple extra days of bed rest that will fly by!
Bed rest with identical twin girls - diagnosed with TTTS at 16 weeks. Expected due date 2/19/12
Mother to Samantha (4 years) born at 33 weeks
Mother to Stella (2 years) born at full term

Mandyml1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011 at 12:46 PM »
Motherhen: 
  I read that trilogy at the beginning of my bed rest!  It was a great series and I didn't want to put them down.  I would totally recommend them.
  Something else that I have been working on...  researching my family history.  It can be a very frustrating task sometimes (especially since I am not willing to PAY for any sites or services) but I have found some interesting things regarding my family.
EDD: Feb 28, 2012
B/R at 18 weeks for placenta previa
9-13-08 Healthy boy born @ 34 weeks PTL and PROM
8/07, 8/10, 2/11  Miscarriages

Motherhen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011 at 01:26 PM »
@ Mandy...family tree! What a great idea. I really need a project to keep my mind going. I think I might take your advice and start doing some research. It could be a great Christmas gift for my parents!
Bed rest with identical twin girls - diagnosed with TTTS at 16 weeks. Expected due date 2/19/12
Mother to Samantha (4 years) born at 33 weeks
Mother to Stella (2 years) born at full term

bubblegirl214

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011 at 06:57 PM »
Okay, a few ideas that helped me keep going:

1. Shutterfly/Snapfish - both of these are online photo sites that happened to offer great end-of-summer deals when I was early on in my pregnancy but needed to be off my feet. I took advantage of every print sale possible and ordered every photo I could possibly want from my digital library and then put them in some albums I had purchased a while ago. Then I organized my digital photos and external hard drive - basically cleaning up my electronic files some - stuff that will probably be extremely far from my mind with baby here!

2. Baby registry online - there's a chance I could have gone in and went through the stores and registered in person, but I figured registering online would take a lot more of my time (which is good when you have plenty of time to spare) and I could research items a little more. It took up a good chunk of time, occupied my mind, and got my excited for baby. I kinda wish I wasn't done with it - it was like a treasure hunt finding the right stuff to register for.

3. As I get closer, I keep trying to research all the random things I'll need to know and opinions about baby's products and birthing and all that jazz. Being on forums like this too helps. :-)

4. Online puzzles/games. www.jigzone.com. Okay, this one is horrible for my wrists, but oddly it kept my mind entertained.

5. Online shopping! I subscribe to pocketyourdollars.com and a few other emails from stores I like, and I keep an eye out for sales, especially for Christmas shopping and baby shopping. It soothes the bedrest soul any time you know you have packages coming your way. In the past few months, I have quickly memorized my credit card number so I could take advantage of sales I found! :-) Considering what I'm saving on gas, I don't think I've splurged too much. ;-)

6. Electronic books. I got a Nook, and love the ease with which you can read books, and especially find free books and borrow from the library.

7. Maybe a friend can make you a foodtidings.com calendar where friends/coworkers/neighbors sign up to bring you meals. It helps lessen the burden on you and your family and actually gives you something to look forward to when people pop their head in to either drop off a meal or chat for a while.

Hope that helps a little! And if nothing else, grab a bunch of construction paper and make yourself a little chain link "calendar" that counts down until your due date. I did that when I was engaged and it gives you something to look forward to every day, plus you can see how it does get short, even though the days seem so long!

Be strong! Somehow I've gotten from 12 weeks of pregnancy to 29 weeks! I've been able to have some activity, on and off, but I've been on the sofa an awful lot. I get antsy every once in a while, but I do try to remind myself of what life with baby will look like, and it makes me appreciate these days of "having" to watch TV and lie around on the sofa! Trying - as best as I can - to make the most of every season.

bubblegirl214

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011 at 06:58 PM »
Oh and you could also make photo books on snapfish/shutterfly or a ton of other photo sites. They can be a little expensive, but sign up for their emails and they usually have deals running. Plus - photo gifts are a great gift idea!

Julez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011 at 01:23 PM »
I know this is a little late but I look for videos to make me laugh on youtube-like cat videos, and kid videos (there are quite a few that have babies and toddlers just cracking up as an adult rips paper).  Anyway, it just seems to lighten my mood a little bit if I get the giggles.