Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 25 weeks, twin to twin transfusion syndrome and cervical shortening  (Read 2629 times)

Motherhen

• View Profile
So...I call myself the Mother Hen because that is what bed rest feels like. I am no longer a mother to my other two girls, i am not a wife, i am not a friend. I feel very lonely as I am now just a mother hen sitting (but actually laying) on my little eggs all day until they hatch. who thought bed rest would be so incredibly hard? Our identical twin girls were diagnosed with twin to twin transfusion synodrome at 16 weeks. They share one placenta. Essentially TTTS means that one twin was getting more blood flow and nutrients than the other. We were rushed from Atlanta to Miami to have a laser surgery which would give the babies a chance at survival. There are only a few doctors in the US who can perform this surgery. We were lucky to have such an excellent medical team. It is a miracle that our babies are now thriving and the TTTS seems to be cured. However I remain on strict bed rest due to cervical shortening. Last week it measured a 2.07. I am currently taking nfedipine and progesterone shots to hopefully help prevent early labor. I was already high risk before we even ound out it was twins because my first born was premature at 33 weeks. I can look back and say I can not believe that 9 weeks of bed rest has already gone by. I have filled my time with reading at least 5-10 books a week, lots of bravo tv including way too much trash like nj housewives, countless hours on pinterest and Facebook, reorganizing recipes, making picture albums on shutter fly, online Christmas shopping...but I am starting to really lose focus. Everyday seems to get harder instead of better. I don't know what it is...maybe because the holidays are approaching and I know I m going to have to lay here and miss so much with my 2 and 4 year old girls... parties, making cookies, wrapping gifts, pictures with Santa...etc. I know...it is all stuff that shouldn't matter in the big picture. Keeping these babies healthy and safe is the important thing. But I just can't help feeling a bit more depressed each day. At only 25 weeks, I still have a long way to go. I just don't know how I can bear it. I need to regain focus. I need some pep talks. That's why I joined this forum. I am hoping that by reading some of your stories i will not feel so alone. Positive thoughts! I need positive thoughts!
Bed rest with identical twin girls - diagnosed with TTTS at 16 weeks. Expected due date 2/19/12
Mother to Samantha (4 years) born at 33 weeks
Mother to Stella (2 years) born at full term

mamamia

• View Profile
Re: 25 weeks, twin to twin transfusion syndrome and cervical shortening
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
I know how you feel. I've been on hospital bed rest for 25 days now and I have another three weeks to go (I'm 31 w today and get released at 34w). I have a 22 month old daughter and she's changed so much since I've been here, I feel like I'm missing out on her childhood. The worst part is the worry and not letting my imagination run wild with worst case scenarios.

I know my daughter is in good hands and she is growing and prospering and she won't even remember this.  Everyday you are on bed rest is less suffering for your twins in the long run. Soon this will all be in the past and it will just be an experienced you survived, It sounds like you are doing great, 9 weeks is such an accomplishment and look how fast time has gone by. Everyday is a victory, you inspire me to make it another 3 weeks. Take care and keep going!

Taya

• View Profile
Re: 25 weeks, twin to twin transfusion syndrome and cervical shortening
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011 at 03:42 AM »
Hey Ladies! You are amazing women and mothers! Your babies and children are so lucky to have you!!!!! Do not forget that!! Try googling and reading some positive thinking books. I have been doing that lately myself to keep myself in the best mindframe.  I am always looking for someone to chat with if you want to add me to your friends list on facebook. My name is Taya McCoy in the Minneapolis, MN area.  Would love to chat and help keep the positive coming in!!!

Your thoughts leave a lasting mark on your brain. Is what you are thinking impacting you in a positive way?

You can do it! Keep those babies cooking!!!