Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: new here and mulling sub pregnancy after 20 week loss  (Read 3013 times)

maesmommy

• View Profile
new here and mulling sub pregnancy after 20 week loss
« on: June 03, 2009 at 02:59 PM »
Just want to introduce myself. I am not currently pregnant but I may drop in now and then to ask questions and read your stories. I've detailed my story below. As a warning - it is not a happy ending and I don't want to stress out any mommies who are focused on staying positive!  :) So please don't feel obliged to read on! I'm now thinking and planning for my next pregnancy. I've been told I have about a 20% chance of another preterm birth. It's scary. Next time I want to be prepared, both in how I take care of myself and in how I negotiate with my doctors. In other news, I am newly and very happily married, and I live with my new stepdaughter who is 10 and who will forever be my first girl. :) Thanks everyone!

--------------------

At the end of February I lost my little girl at exactly 20 weeks (first baby). I had had vaginal bleeding, which they think was caused by a polyp, for most of the pregnancy. I had one trip to the ER at 15 weeks with cramping and bleeding - a threatened miscarriage and possible cervical funneling. We got through that crisis with self-imposed bedrest and a couple of trips to the MFM, who thought my cervix was fine. No cerclage or P17 shots or anything were seriously considered because I did not have a history of previous birth problems. The bleeding stopped and I had an excellent 19 week checkup and was told everything was fine, go back to normal. A few days later I had cramping but no bleeding. It came and went. The nurses told me to not to worry, keep an eye on it, to rest, and to go to the ER if I started to bleed a lot. One evening it got very bad. I lost my mucous plug, but I didn't know that's what it was. I was in labor, but I was out of my mind with pain and fear and couldn't figure out what was happening or what to do. Within a couple of hours we were in labor and delivery and I delivered my baby with a midwife. She passed away instantly. The hospital staff were wonderful with us. We stayed up all night holding our tiny girl. They cleaned her, dressed her, took her hand and footprints, and brought us a certificate with her name on it. In the morning, when they took her away they gave us the clothes she'd been dressed in and her hat and a blanket that was knit for bereaved parents by a local convent. In the morning we went home without our baby. We received her ashes a week later and we keep them in a basket with her clothes and our collection of precious memories of the pregnancy. Later we learned that my placenta had an acute bacterial infection, which caused the early labor.

I wish, hope, and pray that no one ever has to go through an experience like this. I'm very grateful for a site like this that helps to educate parents. Although I don't know if my outcome could have been prevented, I certainly did not have all the information, or the active, involved support from my doctors, that I really needed to have my best shot at a healthy full-term pregnancy. I'm hoping to do it all differently next time.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: new here and mulling sub pregnancy after 20 week loss
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009 at 10:30 PM »
I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope it helps to give you some closure, or to somehow makes sense of thing, that they were able to explain the cause. Hopefully it was a one-time, rare occurance.

I'm excited to see that you've been researching options like 17P and cerclage. And, there are a few less-invasive options for prevention. With your next pregnancy, you can request that your OB perform regular measurements of the length of your cervix by ultrasound. Cervical length is an excellent indicator of preterm birth. There's lots of info on that here: www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

There's also the Fetal Fibronectin Test (FFN), which can be done every two weeks starting at 22 weeks. The test can predict the likelihood of preterm birth, based on the presence (or hopefully lack of) fetal fibronectin in a vaginal swab. There's more info about the test here: www.fullterm.net/info/fetal_test/what_fullterm.html

Feel free to stop by the forum anytime! I wish you the best!
--Angela

sargemom

• View Profile
Re: new here and mulling sub pregnancy after 20 week loss
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009 at 06:36 PM »
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss.  I know it is devastating!  I had a miscarriage in October, 2005 and it sounds like what you were describing, though I had it earlier on (10 weeks).  It was horrible.  I am so sorry you had to go through that. My heart just goes out to you. The next year, I got pregnant and had a beautiful and healthy son (who is 2 now) with  no complications, so rest assured, even if you have one m/c, it doesn't mean that you will necessarily have another, so I wish you the absolute best next time!  I was interested in your story because I am now pregnant (26 weeks) and have had unexplained bright red bleeding (spotting once and gushes after I went to the bathroom) here in the 2nd trimester.  I was in the ER once and L&D twice; they cannot figure out what caused the bleeding as I had no placenta previa and the baby is growing and looking good.  However, I have been on modified bed rest ever since (for 3 months).   It's scary that the placenta could be infected and they cannot detect it on ultrasound.  I am praying like crazy that all will be well; our baby girl is due October 10.   I am just incredibly sorry and mourn with you for your loss.  I cannot imagine how hard that must've been.  I am thankful that your hospital staff was so caring.  If I were you, I would switch OB/GYNs!  I have at times been exasperated because my Dr. is SO cautious and conservative but after reading your story, I will never feel that way again.  Thank you for sharing and may God bless you and bring another sweet baby your way as soon as possible.  SIncerely, Holly