Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: cervical effacement  (Read 12137 times)

mihindimindy

• View Profile
cervical effacement
« on: June 07, 2009 at 03:16 AM »
Does anyone know of the cervix can regrow?  Or at least firm back up?
I was placed on bed rest at 21 weeks because I was effaced.  The ultrasoud a week later showed everything was fine, but my Dr. found that the cervix was still soft after digital exam and told me to continue bed rest due to that and "poor obstectrial history."  Now, six weeks later, everything seems to be stable.  I would really like to return to work.  I am using all of my maternity leave prior t delivery and seriously risk losing my job or at least my family's health insurance if I am required to say home much longer.  Even modified bed rest would improve things.   
I am truly frustrated by the lack of information that I can find.  Any info wold be appreciated. 

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: cervical effacement
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009 at 12:57 AM »
A doctor I talk with on Twitter noticed your post and asked me to forward the following info:

"Please tell mihindimindy she is a perfect candidate for FFN test. Cervix is dynamic and can change. Neg FFN means < 5% risk of preterm delivery in following 2 weeks."

He makes a GREAT point! If your risk is low, your doctor would likely support removing your bed rest restrictions, or agree to modified bed rest. Definitely ask your OB! I know it was always a big relief for me when I got a negative FFN test result! We have info about the test here:

www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx The article is titled "Preparing for a Preterm Birth"

And here (about three-fourths down the page): www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

And also see www.fullterm.net

Hope that helps! Let us know what your OB says! And the test results... :+)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 at 01:50 AM by Angela »

mihindimindy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009 at 06:30 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I will ask for the test at my next visit on Monday. 

3rdtimesacharm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011 at 04:16 AM »
One thing that my doctor and a few of my friends had me look into was the family medical leave act (FMLA).  I know you are using your maternity leave for the complications that you are facing and I know how much of a drag that is; but based on the FMLA, an individual is entitled to take up to 12 weeks of leave for the birth of a child without fear of losing their job.  The only thing with the FMLA is that it is unpaid...again, something you may want to look into.  That and disability insurance.  It may be something that you already have through your job or another insurance plan that you may have.  This type of insurance pays a percentage of the pay you currently receive if you become medically disabled to perform your duties at work.  I hope this information helps you out!