Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 27 weeks 5 days - Fraternal twins measuring 25% different  (Read 3765 times)

Abcmom

• View Profile
27 weeks 5 days - Fraternal twins measuring 25% different
« on: December 02, 2011 at 10:45 PM »
A little background...
Rescue cerclage @ 19 weeks
B/g fraternal twins

I had a doctors appointment today. I have not felt so great the past few days and have been battling very uncomfortable and sometimes painful Braxton Hicks contractions. I have also had a great deal of pressure. I went to my appointment cautiously optimistic as we have overcome a lot but still have a ways to go. They did a growth ultrasound on our twins and estimated the boy (A) at 1 pound 14 ounces and the girl at 2 pounds 9 ounces. The girl has gained 1 pound in 4weeks but the boy only gained half that amount, 8 ounces.

The doctors took a look at his umbilical cord and placenta and said it all looks great, but they will now take a look at it every week to make sure he's getting what he needs, but aren't doing another growth ultrasound for three weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will gain weight and I totally realize these are only estimates but I am scared to death. It feels like yet another thing to worry about.

Has anyone else had this discrepancy with their twins? What was the outcome? They aren't worried about twin to twin transfusion because they aren't identical and have their own placentas. To finish on a positive note, yeah for being 2 days shy of 28 weeks!

Motherhen

• View Profile
Re: 27 weeks 5 days - Fraternal twins measuring 25% different
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011 at 08:42 PM »
My identical twin girls share a placenta and we found that they were stage 3 twin to twin at 16 weeks. We had the laser surgery and it was successful, so we are blessed that the TTTS was cured and the babies (now 29 weeks) are thriving. But I assume you doctors told you that the size difference couldn't be TTTS if they don't share a placenta. I just want to make sure you aren't online reading about TTTS and thinking that's what it is. Be careful what you read online...a lot of that stuff out there will scare you. Just trust your doctor and write down all your questions before your appointment. I'll be thinking about you.
Bed rest with identical twin girls - diagnosed with TTTS at 16 weeks. Expected due date 2/19/12
Mother to Samantha (4 years) born at 33 weeks
Mother to Stella (2 years) born at full term

Afinsley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014 at 01:09 PM »
I noticed you posted this back in December. How are your babies now?

I'm 27 weeks and 3 days with di/di boy/girl twins. My babies have a decent sized growth discrepancy as well. Just a few days ago baby A (girl) measured approx 1 lb 11 oz (14th percentile) and baby B (boy) measured 2 lb 4 oz (40th percentile). Baby girl is growing week to week but they will be monitoring me weekly to make sure of it. Her cord plugs into the side of the placenta rather than the center and that could be causing slowed growth. The blood flow on both of them looks great though.

I'm now on bed rest due to having contractions and a positive fetal fibronectin. My cervix looks great though.

I'd love to hear an update from you though...

Abcmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014 at 09:20 PM »
Wow, it was weird to go back and reread my original post as it was over 2 years ago now. It is amazing how time fades memories and the emotional pain we went through.

My twins (Austin and Bailey) ended up being born at 28 weeks 2 days after Austin's placenta started to pull away and I was hospitalized for bleeding. He was showing signs of stress and they decided to deliver me. He weighed 2 pounds 6 ounces (he was not as small as they thought) and Bailey weighed 2 pounds 8 ounces. As a result of having 2 rounds of steroids shots their lungs were surprisingly strong and they never had to be intubated after being born. They spent 70+ days in the NICU before they came home.

Today they are happy healthy 2 year olds. Bailey is caught up developmentally while Austin has some developmental delays. He just started walking last week (25 months) and still doesn't talk much. He receives PT, OT and speech (as a kindergarten teacher I have pushed for early intervention). 

I wish you the best of luck and am happy to answer any other questions you may have. I remember the days of bed rest. The trauma will fade one day :)

Afinsley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014 at 12:58 AM »
Wow...that's amazing that you delivered at 28 weeks. I'm glad that your kids are doing well. I hope that Austin continues to have improvements.
Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that your post was back in 2011...I guess I just saw December and didn't notice the year.
Medical technology is so amazing these days. The neonatologist told me last week that if I delivered my twins at 27 weeks, they'd have a 90% survival rate and an 80% chance of having no residual long term effects. That is such a miracle.
I'm still going to try my best to keep these babies cooking for as long as possible!