Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Heart Burn???  (Read 2951 times)

pchanner

• View Profile
Heart Burn???
« on: June 09, 2009 at 07:43 PM »
Has anyone else discovered that their heart burn increased once starting bed rest?

I can't determine whether the increase I have had recently is due to the new bed rest or if I have just reached that stage in the pregnancy and just need to tough it up. Tomorrow I will be 25 weeks. I had loads of heart burn in the beginning, but it stopped once I realized I was drinking way too much milk in the morning. But now, I get waves of burn in my upper chest and neck. I don't lay down after eating, but I am in bed sitting down when usually I would take a quick walk around the block to help get my food down. I miss those walks very much.  :-\

love1221

• View Profile
Re: Heart Burn???
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009 at 10:39 PM »
My heartburn was definately worse while I was on bedrest.  I noticed it more when I was on hospital bedrest also.  Then I truly couldn't get up and move around. 

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Heart Burn???
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009 at 10:50 PM »
Here are a few replies from Twitter:

fentonslee@KeepEmCookin:
heartburn often increases on bedrest because you're laying down so the acid isn't fighting gravity anymore

fentonslee@KeepEmCookin:
to lessen effects of acid reflux, have dh raise the headside legs (wooden blocks work well) a few inches to reintroduce gravity

My heartburn on bedrest was pretty bad too. It seemed to always happen before bed time. You can take Tums, but check with your doc first to see if that is the best option for you. In some cases it could be TOO much calcium. There's a heartburn med called Reglan that was recently given a blackbox warning (just in case OB or nurse mentions that as a possibility). Here's the warning on Reglan: www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx (Article is dated 2.26.09).

Hope you can get some relief soon!