Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 28 week 2 day twins  (Read 3425 times)

Abcmom

• View Profile
28 week 2 day twins
« on: December 07, 2011 at 09:02 PM »
So after a cerclage, 8 1/2 weeks of strict bed rest, and being hospitalized for a gush of blood at 28 weeks my twins have arrived at only 28 weeks and 2 days.

Last Sunday I was hospitalized because of a gush of blood. They deemed it a partial placental separation. The bleeding stopped by Monday morning but they continued to monitor the babies regularly but my boy ( who was estimated at only 1pound 14 ozs, while his sister w as estimated at 2 pounds 9 ozs)  was not responding well to my occasional contractions. After transferring to the postnatal floor they decided to send me back upstairs to l & d to monitor my contractions more closely on Tuesday morning. After being there for 30 minutes they decided to deliver my twins as a result of some dips in my boys heart rate. I was started on Magnesium drip for a few hours and then brought back for a c-section. After a long and very uncomfortable surgery (my spinal didn't take well) my babies were delivered around 5:30pm. Luckily the boy weighed in at 2 pounds 6 ozs while the girl weighed at 2pounds 8 ozs.

They are currently in the NICU and will be there for quite some time. As of right now they are on CPAP and doing well. they are 27 1/2 hours old and we have not been able to hold them yet. We are hoping to head up to the NICU soon and hold our precious girl (hopefully) Our son won't be ready to be held until at least this weekend. Can't wait to be able to cuddle with our precious babies soon!

HeatherGayle

• View Profile
Re: 28 week 2 day twins
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011 at 10:04 PM »
Congratulations on your twins! You're a blessed mommy!

Now, I can't say I know what you're going through entirely, but I can say this: this is the hardest time, ever, but it won't last forever. 8)

My little guy was in the NICU for 12 days, then the Children's hospital for 5 days after being born early at 35 weeks. He was in respiratory distress, and on CPAP for a while. We took him home on caffeine to keep him stimulated. Anyways, he is now almost 6 months old, and doing perfectly well! At the time, I couldn't see this far ahead at all. I was all consumed with what-ifs and worry. I sat beside his little plastic bin and watched him breathe for hours on end. I felt guilty when I went home, slept without being woken up all night, and had a meal. It's a weird time.

But here we are! Back to normal, and worth every moment spent in that NICU. I just want to encourage you to hang in there, take it day by day and don't be hard on yourself. It will be okay. One day you'll look back and think, "remember when?". :) Congrats again!

sjaz09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011 at 09:58 AM »
Congrats & I hope you are doing well at the beginning of your NICU experience. I my little girl at 28 w 1 day and she weighted 2lb. 7 oz. at birth, if you have any questions or just need to vent, please do. I hope you are recovering well after your C-section, my prayers will be with your family during this stressful time. Good luck,

Sara
Mommy to Haley (gest. 28 week 1 day) born June 2009.
Hoping for a healthy Baby Boy due March 8, 2012; Bedrest @ 22 weeks for IC

Mandyml1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
Congratulations on the unexpected delivery!  I'm so glad that both babies are doing well.  As you mentioned, hopefully you'll get to hold them soon.  I've heard that NICU babies have good days and bad...  Hopefully you're good days will out-weigh the bad.
EDD: Feb 28, 2012
B/R at 18 weeks for placenta previa
9-13-08 Healthy boy born @ 34 weeks PTL and PROM
8/07, 8/10, 2/11  Miscarriages

lpolinder51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM »
Thinking of you as your start the journey of life in the NICU. My daughter was born at 28 weeks and weighed 2.8 lbs. The journey felt like an emotional rollarcoaster. Praying for your little ones.

Abcmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011 at 08:12 PM »
Thanks to everyone's for your thoughts and advice. I can't believe he twins will be. Week ol tomorrow. There are definitely good days and bad for both of us. Today was just one of those days where I wanted to cry all the time. Just focusing on each day that they get a little stronger and hopefully I can bring them home soon!