Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Baby Shower Question  (Read 4060 times)

Tbunnie

• View Profile
Baby Shower Question
« on: January 10, 2012 at 03:45 PM »
Hi :)
I'm still here on bed rest.  I will be 26 weeks tomorrow.  I have hesitated to think of a baby shower, baby things, etc. because I want to make sure  my baby boy will stay in my belly long enough and that I know he will survive.  My peri always mentions that I should go on line and look at baby stuff and all but I just don't get it.  I am going to be on bed rest until 36 weeks which is also when she plans to remove the cerclage.  My questions  are:  Are any of you even thinking of baby showers?  If so... when are you planning on having one.  How soon are you going to have one.  Is having a baby shower at 34 weeks to early????  Should I wait until after 36 weeks??? Suppose my baby is ready to come out as soon as she takes the cerlage out???
Am I the only person even wondering about this stuff??  You see, this is my first and probably only child.  I am still hesitant to think about baby things because I am only 26 weeks.  I just don't know... I'm just wondering what you guys have done in the past or are planning to do.

NurseShaw86

• View Profile
Re: Baby Shower Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012 at 08:34 PM »
Hello, I have been in and out the hospital on hospital and home bed rest since 22 weeks 4 days. I am now 30 weeks 1 day. I have an extremely irritable uterus with at least 5-6 contractions an hour, sometimes up to 30 an hour so I'm always threatening to go into preterm labour. I was VERY hesitant to start buying things for our baby. I previously lost my twin girls that were born at 24 weeks in 2009 due to preterm labour. We had bought lots of stuff for them and it hurt so bad to have to return things and take down the cribs. When I was around 26 weeks with this pregnancy I posted the same sort of questions on my birth board and most of the women agreed that at that point I was far enough along that if baby came he would have a good chance. I just wasn't ready yet, and so when I hit 28 weeks I looked at my husband one day and said today is the day we buy our baby something, anything. He said "oh, I'm' tired not today". I looked him straight in the eyes and told him I was scared, and i sensed he was too, but to me buying something for our baby symbolized faith and hope that he would be coming home with us. So, we went to walmart intending on getting one thing.... we ended up buying a few things - little shoes, and outfit, shampoo. completely random things. We got back in our car, looked at each other and smiled. We did it!! we took that leap of faith and it felt so good!! I don't' think I"m getting a baby shower, so I can't comment on that, sorry. Only you will know when you are ready to buy things..... and in a way you do have to just take a leap of faith. I wish you luck, and hope that you will feel ready to buy something soon.

Amy

AngelLily03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012 at 09:34 PM »
I am hoping to get a shower, even registered, my OB suggested doing one to help pass the time.  I"ve been down since 25 weeks and will most likely be kept down until my body gives out.  It have PTL due to excess fluid (has a fancy name that I can't remember right now) but I basically have enough fluid for 3 pregnant women.  That on top of an already irritated uterus and very active baby are a bad combo.  We are 34 weeks today.  But I don't think anyone knows what to do with me shower wise.  There are gals a church that do everyone's shower.  No one has called or approached DH about one.  I suspect if I get one it will be after little man comes.  If I were to have one right now everyone would have to come here and I would worry about the house getting clean, food prepared, and all that fun stuff.  I had my shower for my first at 36 weeks, have it whenever you want :).  I like having time after it to sort thru the presents, do thank you cards, decide what needs to be returned/exchanged, and see what we still need.  If you have it a little early you have the time to take care of all that...or DH to take care of it :).
 I am lucky since this one is my third and we're having our second boy so I already have a lot of the stuff we need.  What I do need I have DH pick up a little bit at a time or get it online.  I'm also looking forward to going and getting it after he comes...its going to take a lot to keep me from running around like a crazy person when I get let up.

jillv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012 at 08:17 AM »
My friends planned my shower early (partly because the holidays were approaching and partly because we wanted to be ready if she came early).  The location of the shower changed about 3 times because I was in and then out of hospital.  My friends were prepared to host the shower in the hospital room but I was discharged 2 days before.  I ended up having the shower at 29 weeks at my house because I was still on bed rest.  I know it is earlier than usual, but it  was fun to be with my support team and of course get excited about baby things. Personally, registering and having the shower was a very positive experience.

Mandyml1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012 at 04:42 PM »
I agree with several of the other comments.  You have to decide when you are ready to take that leap and begin getting ready.  As far as 34 weeks being to early?  No, I don't think so.  I personally would have it even earlier.  With my first baby, I had my baby shower around 28 weeks so that I could have everything ready for when he arrived.  I had just enough time too, because I delivered early (PTL) at 34 weeks. 

I would talk to your family or friends about having a baby shower.  They could help you decide when a good time would be and help with back-up plans: just in case. 
EDD: Feb 28, 2012
B/R at 18 weeks for placenta previa
9-13-08 Healthy boy born @ 34 weeks PTL and PROM
8/07, 8/10, 2/11  Miscarriages

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012 at 01:42 AM »
I had a "healthy" first pregnancy and planned my baby shower close to my due date.  My son came at 37 weeks and his shower was the day we came home from the hospital!  So my 2nd pregnancy (high risk but didn't hit modified bed rest until 34 weeks) I planned ahead and had my shower at 30 weeks.  The 3rd pregnancy I ended up on bed rest at 13 weeks.  This changed everything. We waited every day to see if our son would live or die.  We didn't know if we'd be visiting a NICU or bringing him home.  So how do you plan when you don't know?  I ended up having a shower at 34 weeks.  And I have to tell you it was great!  But I was a sobbing mess the next day from exhaustion.  I hadn't had that much social interaction in MONTHS!  We left everything in the boxes until we passed 36 weeks. 

So I now host a bed rest support blog called embracebedrestblog.com.  And I wrote a blog specifically about baby showers while on bed rest.  Here's a link.
http://embracebedrestblog.com/2011/02/24/to-baby-shower-or-not-to-baby-shower/
Hopefully you find something in it that helps you decide.

All I can say is try to make this very un-normal pregnancy as normal as possible.  Keeping you in prayer mama!

KitKat07

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012 at 08:53 PM »
Hi there... My friends are planning my shower for a couple weeks from now when I'm 35wks along. I think anytime after 34 weeks is a pretty "safe point".. whatever that means!

I wish you luck.. creating my registries (2) of them was frustrating at first.. but it's been fun peeking at the stuff that people have bought my son!

-KitKat07

mvp_57

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM »
Hi there,

With my first pregnancy, I opted to wait until my baby was born mostly b/c of practical issues....I was in the hospital on bedrest and although they could have accommodated a baby shower in one of the rooms, I had to pee every 20 minutes and contractions
sent me to the hi-risk unit 3x. Baby showers can also be exhausting as you can't help but do more than you should (sitting up too long, chatting a lot, etc. -- things that you don't realize take up a lot of energy particularly if you've been relatively inactive for weeks).

I registered for everything online during bedrest, and gave immediate family members/closest friends the green light to purchase the essentials like a car seat as it was my first baby and I didn't have anything. My baby was born at 29.5 weeks, and she had to stay in the NICU for 7 weeks. We scheduled the baby shower once we were assured that she was doing well and hubby and I felt comfortable leaving her for a few hours. I had the peace of mind that my baby was going to be all right, so I was able to enjoy the baby shower. And it was nice to be up and about during the event:).

It's what you feel comfortable with. I know it's difficult not to let pessimism sneak in, but here's wishing that you make it to 36 wks and beyond -- so that your baby can attend the shower with you!