Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Confused with terminology  (Read 2718 times)

melandchico

• View Profile
Confused with terminology
« on: June 25, 2009 at 01:12 PM »
Hi there!

I have some questions that I am hoping some of you may be able to help answer.

This past monday (at 30 weeks) I saw my doctor for my regular appointment.  During his exam we discovered that The braxton hicks I thought I was having are in fact REAL contractions.  He was concerned with the "status" of my cervix and immediately ordrered me home on bed rest as he is concerned about preterm labour. 

I am confused about the terminology he used in his description of my cervix and what exactly it means. He told me I am not yet dialated(I got that one), but my cervix is low, very soft & blunt (instead of pointed as it should be).  While searching online, I have not seen these discriptions used and I am curious as to what others terms may be used to describe this?  Anyone know?

Thanks

gaylen

• View Profile
Re: Confused with terminology
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM »
I think many doctors use their own descriptive words; but I can only assume he is meaning that your cervix ix shortening and starting the thin or efface (thin/efface- same thing).  It is supposed to be long, thick, & closed.  At any rate it sounds like your cervix is getting ready for labor and I suppose the thought is if you are laying down that helps relieve pressure on the cervix and might help.  Hope this helps!