Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New here- previous PPROM and now vasa previa  (Read 4522 times)

lammy

• View Profile
New here- previous PPROM and now vasa previa
« on: January 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am Laura and I have 2 beautiful children and am currently 26 wks PG with #3 (oops!).  DD was born at 33 weeks and DS was born at 32.  Both were precipitous labors that started when my water broke completely out of the blue.  I had 2 healthy, normal PGs up until that moment(s).  The Drs couldn't stop my labors and so neither of my kids had the benefit of steroids.  They were in the NICU for 30 and 29 days respectively. 
This time around I am being followed by an MFM practice to monitor my cervix.  Then, at my 18 week appt I asked a pretty innocent question: "where is the umbilical cord"? which was followed by a diagnosis of vasa previa.  That is when the umbilical cord does not implant in the placenta but in the uterine wall and there is a network of blood vessels that connect the 2.  In the case of vasa previa the blood vessels transverse the cervix (or are next to it).  The danger is that when you go into labor (dilate) or your water breaks, the blood vessel will rupture and the baby will bleed out and in those cases mortality rates are between 80-100%- yikes!  Most women who are diagnosed have a planned c-section at 34 weeks.  The complicating factor for me is that I've never made it that far along.  So, the Drs want to hospitalize me at 28 weeks for monitoring and to keep me close to the OR in case an emergency c-section is needed.
We knew that if we got PG with #3 that i would be at high risk of another preemie, but this diagnosis is much much more than we bargained for.  I feel like a ticking time bomb.  The good news is that the vessel in my case is next to the cervix and may move "out of the danger zone" like a low-lying placenta might move as the uterus grows.  I am going every week for monitoring.  The bad news is that my cervix is only 2.6cm.  The Drs say to "take it easy" and I'm on pelvic rest and no exercise.  My OB this past week agreed to put me on modified bedrest (he doesn't think it will help my cervix but he said it won't hurt it either) so I am now working from home and trying to stay lying down as much as possible.
I should mention I'm also on the 17p shots.  I was with my DS too though and didn't even make it as far as I did with DD (although they were both the same weight).
I think that's about everything.  Thanks for reading (if you made it this far!).  It is great to read the inspiring posts on this site and to know that there are other women out there with less than ideal PGs who are supporting each other.
Bust of luck to you all and I look forward to keeping everyone posted on my journey...
Laura

p.s. I guess I should mention that both of my kiddos, now 4 and 2, are perfectly healthy, tall, strong, and not delayed at all.  I know I am blessed to have carried them both into the 30's.  I'm just hoping for 32 this time around although 34 would be a miracle!!

Mandyml1

• View Profile
Re: New here- previous PPROM and now vasa previa
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM »
Welcome lammy!
I have a similar story.  I knew I would have a high risk pregnancy due to my previous miscarriages and then delivering my son unexpectedly at 34 weeks.  At 18 weeks we found out I had placenta previa.  They would schedule a c-section for around 36 weeks and like you- I've never made it that far.  I know what you mean when you say you feel like a ticking time bomb.  It really is scary not knowing when something could happen.  I've read quite a bit about the vasa previa.  It was always listed with the placenta previa and at one point there was something seen that could have been vasa previa.  Thankfully, my last few scans have showed that my placenta issues have resolved and there was never vasa previa. 
I don't have the right words to say to make you feel better, but It sounds like you have a good team looking after you and your baby.  Going in every week to be checked out and being put in the hospital at 28 weeks to be monitored even closer.  You will have a tough road ahead, but you can do it.  Take it a day/week at a time and use this forum to help you work though what ever you need to.  I wish you the best of luck with your situation!     
EDD: Feb 28, 2012
B/R at 18 weeks for placenta previa
9-13-08 Healthy boy born @ 34 weeks PTL and PROM
8/07, 8/10, 2/11  Miscarriages

lammy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012 at 09:53 PM »
Thanks Mandy! I'm glad to hear your previa ia resolved.  I have a dr appt tomorrow and am anxious to see how things are progressing... Sounds like our babies might be coming around the same time.  Good luck!

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM »
Welcome!  I have no experience with your particular issues, but it sounds like they are trying to be as careful as possible to get you and baby to a safe end.  Celebrate each day and week you make it through with no problems.  At times I have even celebrated making it another hour.  The ladies here are an amazing support and have helped me through many rough moments.  Good luck and how did your appointment go?

lammy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM »
Thanks for the response. My appt this week went really well. The fetal blood vessel is about 3 cms away from my cervix now so they don't believe that if my water breaks the vessel will automatically rupture ( which is incredible news)! But if I dilate at all it could so the plan is to do a c-section early but hopefully I can go as long as 34 weeks.  I plan to go into the hospital at 30 weeks which is 2 weeks before my water broke with my son.  I don't want to be at home when my water breaks and have to race to the hospital for an emergency c-section. It is good to have a plan in place. In the meantime I am on moderate bedrest at home trying to keep everything quiet... I can't wait to hit the 28 week mark next Thursday.  That is such an emotional hurdle...

Mandyml1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012 at 01:21 PM »
I'm glad to hear you had good news at your appointment.   ;)
EDD: Feb 28, 2012
B/R at 18 weeks for placenta previa
9-13-08 Healthy boy born @ 34 weeks PTL and PROM
8/07, 8/10, 2/11  Miscarriages

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012 at 01:38 PM »
Placental issues are so scary.  I had nothing but placental issues.  I hemmoraghed at 13 weeks and from there had Placenta Previa (twice as it corrected then grew back then corrected), blood clots, subchrionic hemmoraghing, and blood pooling in the lining of my uterus.  I was onfull  bed rest for 23 weeks and 3 more weeks of modified.  He was strong and healthy at birth.   Most women don't remember delivering the placenta but to me, that was the moment I could relax.  My baby was in my arms and I was relived but I couldn't fully relax until I knew the placenta was completely out and I hadn't started bleeding again.  All I can say is follow all of your doctor's orders and grow that baby!  You are doing amazing work and the payoff will be HUGE!  Keep us updated!