Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Calla Rose Elizabeth is here! 33w2d  (Read 3253 times)

Kmm05

• View Profile
Calla Rose Elizabeth is here! 33w2d
« on: January 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM »
After spending 5 weeks on bedrest, with more than 3 of that spent in the hospital, my body finally said it had gone as far as it was going to go.  Calla Rose Elizabeth was born at 11:28 PM on January 27, weighing 3 lbs. 15 oz and 17 inches long.  Calla is currently on CPAP but they are working on weaning her off of it.  She is also fighting jaundice so is under the lights.  But she is fighting and working hard and we are so proud of her.  I finally got to hold her for the first time today and that was such a wonderful moment and that made all of the stress and worry that we went through getting to this point worth it.  Though I only made it to 33 weeks and 2 days, and wanted to get to 36, I am thankful she waited as long as she did and know she is better off for every minute, hour, day and week she stayed put.  Thank you all for your support and encouragement, it really helped me get through the tough times.

Mandyml1

• View Profile
Re: Calla Rose Elizabeth is here! 33w2d
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012 at 11:51 PM »
Congratulations! 
I know it's a double edged sword to have her early like this, but at the same time to finally be able to see and hold her.   I'm glad to hear she is doing so well. 
EDD: Feb 28, 2012
B/R at 18 weeks for placenta previa
9-13-08 Healthy boy born @ 34 weeks PTL and PROM
8/07, 8/10, 2/11  Miscarriages

celticmama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012 at 03:51 PM »
Congratulations!! ;D What a beautiful name!

You did an awesome job and I'm amazed at how long you were able to keep her cookin'! 

Prayers that she she comes home quickly!!

~Mary Kate~
Happily married to Kyle for 17 years
Blessed to be Mama to:
Killian 16, Joe 13, Maeve 11, Jack 9, Eamon 4, Faith 2, & our 3 saints in Heaven (2 m/c and our full-term baby born still, Fiona May).
Happily awaiting our latest blessing with a EDD of 4/23/12 (del. date 3/12/12)

Taya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012 at 03:57 PM »
I love her name!!! Congrats! Keep it up lil miss fighter!!! Enjoy getting to know your precious lil girl on the outside! She says thanks for letting me cook so long mom!!

sjaz09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012 at 04:01 PM »
Congrats!! I know you must be disappointed that you didn't make your original gest. goal but I hope you can find some peace in knowing what you have done for your little girl! After having my 28 weeker I had such guilt that I could have done something more/better/less/ to prevent her birth and I wish we had been given a chance to intervene. I hope she has a short stay and meets her milestones for discharge quickly!

Good Luck to you and your family and enjoy getting to know your little girl!!!

Mommy to Haley (gest. 28 week 1 day) born June 2009.
Hoping for a healthy Baby Boy due March 8, 2012; Bedrest @ 22 weeks for IC

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM »
Just thought while I was on here, I would include a quick Calla update.  She is doing well for the most part, though not as well as I would like to see.  Momma is more than a little impatient to get her home.  She is off the CPAP, has been for a few days now, but is still getting supplemental oxygen through a nasal cannula.  Yesterday she decided to pull it out/off so the nurse let her go for a while to see how she did.  She lasted a good 45 minutes before her oxygen level dropped to the point she needed some help again, so that was a very encouraging sign and they are working to wean her off of it.  Her biggest challenge is feeding and gaining.  She is learning to eat from a bottle and we have varying degrees of success with that.  They have just started to supplement her breast milk with formula to boost the calorie count so we are hopeful that will help her with gaining.  Though we are all more than ready to have her home, we know it will only happen when she is ready, whenever that might be.