Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 29 weeks - on steroids, getting FFN test Tuesday  (Read 1561 times)

ritchiewoman

• View Profile
29 weeks - on steroids, getting FFN test Tuesday
« on: July 04, 2009 at 01:17 AM »
Hi everyone!

I've been following some of you on Twitter when I was first put on modified bedrest in my first trimester.  Now I just started my third trimester and I'm on modified bedrest again!  So here's my story.

I'm 38 years old.  I have one child (a son via c-section - 4) and have had 6 miscarriages.  This is pregnancy number 8.  I have been on blood thinners since the beginning of my pregnancy because the doctors discovered I have a genetic disposition for blood clots, which were likely the cause of my many miscarriages. 

After I made it thru the first trimester, we thought I was basically in the clear and I went on to have a relatively uneventful 2nd trimester.  The contractions started at 28 weeks - but they weren't regular and started after I took a longer than usual walk with the dog.  So I drank water, called my doctor, and was told to not worry about it until I had more than four in a hour and they were regular.  Then on Tuesday of this week, they started again at 3:30 in the afternoon, every 10 minutes, for 3 hours.  After calling the nurse line, I was directed to L&D.

I was monitored right away and started drinking water.  They continued at every 10 minutes.  They did a cervical exam and said I was 1 cm dialated.  The doctor suggested steroid shots so after discussing it my husband and I agreed and I got the first of two shots.  Finally, the contractions became irregular.  But then I started bleeding pretty heavily.  The doctor examined me and figured out that the bleeding wasn't active and was most likely due to the cervical exam, since I am on blood thinners and bleed easily.  I went home to rest and returned the next night for my second steroid shot.

They decided on Wednesday to not do another cervical exam because of the bleeding. Then the doctor suggested I do the Fetal Fibronectin test.  Instead of waiting in the L&D for 24 hours to pass from my internal exam, I went home and then went into my doctor's office the next day to take the test there.

When my doctor did the FFN test I still had leftover blood present so they couldn't send it in.  I will go back on Tuesday and get the test taken then.

In the meantime, I was given nifedipine 20mg capsules to control the contractions and I'm afraid to take them, even though 2 separate doctors said it was safe.  The pharmacist talked to my husband for 20 minutes about how it's a class C.  Then I read some of the side effects you all have had and I wonder if it's better to go thru the contractions.  But doesn't stopping the contractions slow down labor? 

I'm pretty confused right now.  I'm not on bedrest but every time I stand up I contract.  I find myself feeling the worst in the afternoon.  I'm drinking tons of water, laying on my left side, and doing hardly nothing.  I already feel guilty for putting the additional burden on my husband who works so hard already, to take care of the house and the kid.  Luckily I also have my mother in law here to help.  I feel like so much is out of my control.  I'm trying to be positive and keep this kid in me for as long as I possibly can but this lack of control is making me very nervous.

Anyway, that's my story - I'll keep everyone posted on my status and I look forward to learning more about each of you.

:) Amy