Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Is it too early to buy baby things?? Advice please  (Read 3417 times)

everhopeful

• View Profile
Is it too early to buy baby things?? Advice please
« on: February 08, 2012 at 03:55 AM »
Hi Everyone
Just looking for some advice if anyone can help.  I will be 27 weeks on Saturday and my husband has mentioned that we should start buying things for our little girl.  I have lost 3 babies (17wks, 21wks, 24 wks) and so do not have any equipment whatsoever.  I am extremely nervous that buying at this stage could be "flying in gods face", but I realise that I will probably not be comfortable buying anything until baby is born which is not entirely practical. Do you think that 27 weeks is too soon??  I have had steroids and I am currently on bed rest so maybe buying a few things might be a welcome distraction.  Any advice would be very welcome, I am extremely nervous.

Thanks a Million ;D

unchangingjenny

• View Profile
Re: Is it too early to buy baby things?? Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012 at 12:07 PM »
In my opinion, it may help with the nervous feeling that I am sure you are getting right now. I would start small with something like baby toy or outfits.. Myself I think it will make you feel more secure and feel like it is going to happen. Gotta have some faith and not stressed cause baby can tell when you are stressed and nervous!

Hope this helps a little.. and keep that baby cookin'!

AngelLily03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012 at 12:15 PM »
So sorry for your previous losses but congrats on making it this far!  I went onto bedrest at 25 weeks due to PTL with my little man (we made it to 35w 1d and he is happily snuggled against my chest right now), and honestly bought way more for him after I went down.  It gave me something to do to kill the time.  He is my third so we had a lot of what we needed and before I went down onto bedrest I was nuts with getting the big stuff we needed.  My husband playcated me and did it, but kept saying we had so much time.  Boy, we didn't know what was coming but somehow my body/brain did.  I'd say pick up some stuff, especially the basics, and maybe have a friend or family member hang on to it if your uncomfortable with it in the house.  I didn't look at it as tempting fate but if I had it, he was coming home...period.  Good Luck!

thayasmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 at 03:39 PM »
So sorry to hear about your previous losses.  Congrats on hitting the 27 week mark!  I got put on bedrest at 26 weeks due to PTL, I am now 32 weeks and still on bedrest.  I have an older daughter who will be 8 next week, so I had previously gotten rid of all baby items.  I like yourself have also had 3 miscaraiges (however mine were earlier in the pregnancy).  I was still scared to buy anything just in case.  We had not purchased anything, and then I got put on bedrest.  I have found that amazon and ebay have become my best friends.   For me, it gives me a little something to look forward too.  Also not knowing when or if ill get off bedrest before I have my daughter put things into a larger perspective for me.  There are certain things that she is going to need.  I would tell you to get the basics, things that you can't do without if you are still worried.  As you progress furthur in your pregnancy maybe you'll get more comfortable expanding the type of items that you are buying.  We still have not gotten a crib, because I know I won't use it right away (I will use the pack n play and put it in our room), same with a highchair.  Wishing you the best!!!                              Brandi

everhopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012 at 03:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice all.  Well I have made a list of small things and large items that we will need. Now that I have made this step we have decided to go ahead and buy small things each week until we get a little further.  I wont buy much in the way of clothes as I can do that when we know how far I will get or later in the pregnancy. When I went for my weekly hospital appt yesterday, I saw a regular dr as oppose to the consultant.  This reassured me somewhat as although they are still seeing me weekly, they seem to be thinking and talking more in terms of neonatal should I go into preterm labour as oppose to survival and viability.  27 weeks tomorrow, plenty of fluid around baby and baby has now decided to turn around as is no longer in breech feet first. Yay!!  Well fingers crossed that I will be looking forward to my "weekly outings" to the hospital for many weeks to come.  Good luck everyone and thanks again.

Geanbean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012 at 04:14 PM »
Hello,

I am on bedrest too, since 27 weeks and today I am 29 weeks.  I am actually still in the hospital, but hopeful to go home on bedrest early next week.  My advice would be to try to browse and pick something small each day to look up to buy.  Craigslist has some awesome stuff too for a fraction of the cost.  Looking online may be calming for you too.  Whatever works is always best!  I can't say enough good things about the "swaddleme" blankets that make swaddling your little one so easy and comforting to the baby!  Best wishes coming your way!

Gina