Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Lexapro while pregnant?  (Read 4777 times)

Motherhen

• View Profile
Lexapro while pregnant?
« on: November 09, 2011 at 03:19 PM »
My doctor just prescribed Lexapro. I am 25 weeks...I have been on bed rest for over 9 weeks. I have been dealing with anxiety and depression. I know these feelings of being upset can make things worse for my bed rest and the ultimate goal of keeping these babies cookin as long as possible. But...I am scared to take the drugs. My parinatologist says it is not going to harm the babies...but of course as soon as I got home I looked online and read all kinds of horrible side effects/complications during pregnancy. Anyone else have experience with Lexapro while pregnant? Or can you suggest websites with positive research results?
Bed rest with identical twin girls - diagnosed with TTTS at 16 weeks. Expected due date 2/19/12
Mother to Samantha (4 years) born at 33 weeks
Mother to Stella (2 years) born at full term

Mum_to_3

• View Profile
Re: Lexapro while pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011 at 10:06 PM »
Hi!

I have very severe anxiety and depression. I am on both Zoloft (anti-depressant) and Xyprexa (anti-anxiety) and my psychiatrist, GP and OB are all happy for me to be on these. The minimal risks to my bub are outweighed by the benefit to my mental health. It is an individual choice, so you have to do what feels right for you. These drugs suit me and my pregnancy is progressing ok so far. (29weeks today).

:)

masons_mommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM »
I've been taking Lexapro since 2008, because of anxiety & depression from previous losses.  I'm now almost 29 weeks prego and still taking it.  All my doctors including my high risk OB are perfectly fine with it!
Charlie - born 16 w on 4/20/07
Anthony - born 16 w on 11/19/07
Max & Ava - born 18 w on 10/20/08, failed TVC
Mason - ADOPTED SON - born 10/19/09
IC - TAC pre-preg placed 9/09
Now prego with little boy! Rescue TVC placed 18w4d. Due 1/30/12!

Geanbean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012 at 04:35 PM »
Hi,
I would take the Lexapro, it will really help with anxiety and sheer thoughts going through your head on all of this bedrest.  I am fairly new to bedrest myself, started at 27 weeks and today makes 29 weeks pregnant, but I had depression when my daughter, only child thus far, was born.  If I knew then, what I know now and how much better you will feel emotionally and able to cope better with the bedrest, I would give it an honest try for a couple of weeks.

I am taking ambien to sleep currently, even though I was initially afraid to get dependent on it, but need it to calm down and just rest.  I hope it helps you.

Take care,

Gina