Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced back spasms during pregnancy?  (Read 8278 times)

mvp_57

• View Profile
Has anyone experienced back spasms during pregnancy?
« on: February 22, 2012 at 02:52 PM »
35 weeks and 1 day today! I've been on modified bedrest since the beginning of my 2nd trimester. I'm thrilled to have made it past my first child's gestational age (29.5 wks) and everything since has been a new experience. For one thing, I can't imagine getting any bigger. It's so difficult to move around (I inch my way to the bathroom), and my hips are achy from laying on the side. I almost wish I could be strapped to some kind of rotisserie-type contraption to ease the pressure on my belly as I flip from side to side ;D.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone's experienced back spasms in their pregnancy? From what I've read on Google and books so far, it's most likely the result of the baby's position. It started a few days ago and is very sporadic. The spasms move from my lower back all the way up to almost the base of my head. Totally freezes me up. Happens when I lay back down, even though I do so gently. I had really bad back labor with my first and know what the tightening around the abdomen feels like. I've never experienced "painful/cramp like" abdominal contractions, so I can't help but wonder if these back spasms are a form of BH contractions. If it persists, I'll call the doc. Just wondering if anyone's experienced it. Thankfully, I've not had any of the PTL symptoms, so I'm hoping to chalk it up to normal pregnancy discomforts.

DFTLEE

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone experienced back spasms during pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM »
Hello,
I had horrible back pain with my first pregnancy. Part of it was due to my daughter's position in my belly, but the other part was due to the fact that I was carrying her high and directly in front of me and not really in my hips at all. As a result, the erector muscles of my back were working overtime to compensate for the additional pull and weight of my belly. On recommendation of a friend, I got a really good maternity belt (I highly recommend getting fitted for it at a maternity shop if possible. perhaps after one of your OB visits!!). The belt pulled my daughter off of my sciatic nerve and provided additional support to my struggling back muscles.

The other thing that I recommend, if you haven't already, is to get a body pillow. I am currently recommending the Snoogle. It's a large pillow in the shape of a "C". With it you can comfortably support your neck, your belly and place some of the pillow between your knees and thus aid your low back and hips. You can order one from www.maternityandnursing.com.

Hope this helps!!

Darline Turner-Lee, Bedrest Coach
Mamas on Bedrest & Beyond
www.mamasonbedrest.com

mvp_57

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone experienced back spasms during pregnancy?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012 at 01:24 PM »
Thanks, Darline. This is very helpful! I'm carrying my baby really high, front and center as well. I definitely agree about the maternity belt, w/c I've used since the 5th month. I'll check out the body pillow. It doesn't help that I had a weak back to begin with. Iz all guhd though. Thanks for the info!