Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 2856 times)

unchangingjenny

• View Profile
New to forum
« on: February 03, 2012 at 01:52 PM »
Hey all. My name is Jennifer, age 24, and I am expecting my first child, a little boy named Brody. I am currently 31 weeks today. Through my whole pregnancy I have had some minor problems (nausea, UTIs, side effects of medicine) but nothing like the past few weeks. It all started right after Christmas when my hubby and I were shopping at the mall and looking through baby stuff when I started feeling pressure and what I could only imagine was a contraction. I went out of the store and sat at one of the benches while the hubby went and got the car and we sat in the car for a little while. Timing the pains we noticed they were getting closer together and getting regular so we decided to go to the hospital to get checked out. The triage center said I was having contractions, gave me vistaril, did some tests (FFT and pelvic exam) and sent me on my way. I had since had some cramping and minor pains but nothing like that evening until Jan 18th when I was having the same pains. I took the vistaril and they eased until a few hours later and were back. After 2 days of cramping and pain I told the hubby that I needed to go back to the hospital because things weren't normal. At the hospital, my contractions were getting so close they gave me the steroidal shots, did pelvic exams, FFT, ultrasounds, and had me sign consent for delivery. They gave me procardia to try to stop the contractions, but my blood pressure dropped so low that they had to stop the medicine. They discovered a UTI and gave me antibiotics and kept me on vistaril. After 3 days in the hospital they sent me home on light bedrest.

Just recently I went back to the doctor for a follow-up ultrasound and they discovered that in 9 days my cervix had went from 2.9 to 2.6. I am now on strict bedrest and go back to the doctor on Monday, I figure then he is going to do an exam and check to see if I am dilating. While all of this is happening my hubby had to go back to work and he works out of town. So he is currently 4 hours away with an emergency clothes bag packed in case I go into labor between now and when he gets to come home. So, since he had to go back to work, I am currently staying with my parents.

So that is my story currently... Baby Brody is showing he is going to be rotten!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012 at 10:51 PM »
You never know. Brody may turn out to be a sweetie!  ;D My little guy started causing big trouble at 24 weeks and my cervix was down to 1.5 cm. With bedrest, progesterone injections and procardia, he stayed put until 39 weeks and 3 days. Today he is three and a half and has always been the biggest love muffin. He was really good baby too! Well, he didn't like to sleep much until about 6 months, but all the snuggles have made it all worth it.

Let me know the results of the fetal fibronectin test. Then you'll know if you can count on at least a couple more weeks. And hopefully it was the UTI making your uterus cranky. Just take it easy in the meantime and lie on either side as much as you can. That's good you have your parents nearby. How often is your husband away?

Angela

mommy_mallory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012 at 11:06 PM »
You are both in my prayers!
I'm currently on hospital bed rest at 32 weeks because of a shrinking cervix as well! It started around 26 weeks.
My measurements looked like this:
26 weeks: 2.6
28 weeks: 2.2 (in hospital for 3 days)
28+3: 2.5cm
31: 2.2 cm
31+4: 1.8cm
And today at 32+4 it has stayed stable at 1.8cm.

My twin girls and I are trying for 36 weeks! Everyone here thinks we can make it!

WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK!!!! Stay put in that bed!

unchangingjenny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012 at 10:02 AM »
The FFT 12 days ago at the hospital was negative. Not sure if they are going to do another one monday at dr appt or not. Sadly, my hubby is gone a lot to work. He gets time off in the winter around Christmas and in the summer time usually, but other than that he only gets a few days off that he gets to come home... if he is close enough that is. Right now he is only a few hours away so that's good. Also, his boss is pretty understanding so he can leave for labor and delivery. We would love for him to get a job around home but everything here is fast food and telemarketing.

There is no doubt in my mind that Brody will be a sweetie, but I have a feeling he is gonna take after me as a child and be aunry as can be too. haha! Anyways, hopefully at the Dr appt Monday I will get more of an idea of whats going on and hope for some good news.

sjaz09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012 at 12:22 PM »
Welcome. At some point in your 3rd tri they stop doing FFN because it's not reliable, you're probably pretty close to the cut off. My cervix has hung right around 2 since I had my cerclage placed at 22 weeks. As difficult as it has been I know the mod. bedrest (staying off my feet, laying for a few hours a day, hydrating, etc) has gotten me to where I am! I know it's difficult but you've made it so far and it will be worth it when you have a "take home baby".  Hang in there.

~sara

Mommy to Haley (gest. 28 week 1 day) born June 2009.
Hoping for a healthy Baby Boy due March 8, 2012; Bedrest @ 22 weeks for IC

unchangingjenny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012 at 10:24 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to do an update. Went back to the dr thursday because I had been having contractions for over 24 hours and medicines were not helping. They monitored me for a while and did a check. Dr said I was still 1 dilated, approx 50% effaced, and my cervix was very soft. Also said that my cervix is slightly tilted backward??? He wants to see me back in a week. Hoping for some good news thursday.