Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: lying on your right side.... help!!!  (Read 3060 times)

Rosa

• View Profile
lying on your right side.... help!!!
« on: March 04, 2012 at 09:51 PM »
hi! Just wonder what's everyone's view and experience re lying in bed... I find it impossible to read or type or even watch tv lying on my side. How importemportant is it really?? I'm only 25 weeks and find it much more confortable to read or even talk on t phone if i'm lying on my back, also don't get neck ache this way. I've been avoiding lying on my left side too, but does this really matter? Please help!
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: lying on your right side.... help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012 at 05:26 PM »
Hi, Rosa!
It's perfectly okay to rotate between the right side and left side. And I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to read, type and watch TV on your side. It can feel like torture finally have time for these kinds of leisure activities but be too uncomfortable to enjoy them.  :-[ Over time it seemed like I built up muscles to make reading on my side a little more comfortable--not great, but doable.

It is important not to lie on your back. When you lie on your back, your heavier-than-usual uterus presses on the vein that returns blood from your lower body to your heart. Lying on your back for an extended period of time could interfere with the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and your baby. I came up with a position that's tough to describe, but I'd do it for half an hour after eating to avoid heartburn and could watch TV at the same time. I'd prop myself back on pillows at about a 45-degree angle, putting my weight on my tailbone but trying to keep pressure off my cervix. Give that a try and let me know what you think!

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012 at 06:29 PM »
  hi Angela

thanks for t advice :) i'll try t 45 degree position after eating too, that's another thing that was driving me mad: lying down staraight after eating and feeling like it's all coming back up... I was so lucky not to get morning sickness and now i've got all this instead! :-\

ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM »
So can I ask you girls do you not sit down at all in bed?? My back is killing me from laying and it's only day 4!!! at least 10 more weeks to go.... I have been on bed rest before for 3 1/2 months but i do remember sitting now and again!..... :-\

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012 at 07:04 PM »
first i was put on bedarrest at home and told i was allowed to go to t toilet, have showers and get up to sit and have meals. 2 weeks later my cervix went from 1.3cm to 8mm and i was admitted to hospital bedrest. In hospital e really have no excuse to get up, only go to t toilet, i even eat my meals pretty much lying down as they bring my food to bed. I only shower every other day and wash my hair once a week (it's too long, takes ages to dry), i am being more strict than i was told to. 1 week later my cervix is still t same lenght. So, i guess we never know how much is too much..