Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Delivery after bedrest???  (Read 6087 times)

abby

• View Profile
Delivery after bedrest???
« on: March 06, 2012 at 12:25 PM »
Hi, I'm concerned about delivering my twins after 10 weeks of modified bedrest.  I still don't know what type of delivery I will have.   what is everyones experience with healing from a c-section, and taking care of a newborn(s) after being so deconditioned?  If you had a vaginal delivery, how tough was it to make it through labor and ultimately push the baby out?   Thanks for any input on this subject. 
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest

sjaz09

• View Profile
Re: Delivery after bedrest???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012 at 12:34 PM »
Hi. I had that exact concern (I started my mod. bedrest at 22 weeks when they placed my cerclage and delivered at 36 weeks). Just like with my 28 week-er I delivered vaginally (so I can't speak to Csection recovery) but I was pleasantly surprised that this time around my body once again just knew what to do. I had only been "off" bedrest for 3 days when I had my little boy, but it was a fast 4 hour delivery and I have been slowly getting used to being up and about, I think the key will be slowly increasing my activity levels, I am itching to get going and he's only 3 weeks old.

Mommy to Haley (gest. 28 week 1 day) born June 2009.
Hoping for a healthy Baby Boy due March 8, 2012; Bedrest @ 22 weeks for IC

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012 at 10:22 AM »
I had a c section with my twins and found it very difficult to recover from major abdominal surgery after being in active for three months.  My twins spent 13 days in the nicu which in the end turned out being not so bad, even though it was really hard, because it gave me a chance to recover a bit before taking them home. There was no way I could have took care of them by myself - my body was so exhausted justt going up and down stairs! 
Natural boy/girl twins!!
EDD November 1, 2011 (based on 38 weeks)
Bed rest at 20 weeks for cervical shortening
Cerclage placed at 21 weeks after further shortening
13 weeks and 1 day of strict bed rest and Mario and Amelia made their appearance at 33 weeks and 4 days on October 1, 2011!

jennalyns

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM »
I was on bed rest for 9 weeks, then had 4 weeks back up before my baby came at 37 weeks. Delivery was quick - 9 hours from when my water broke until he was here - and vaginal. Recovering from birth was fine, but 4 months later my lower back is always in pain because my core is still so weak. I managed to jog a mile last week but for the most part my body still tires easily. If you can get help around the house and can make the time later for a personal trainer, do. That said, there is nothing I've felt that my friends who weren't on bed rest haven't felt, too.

I was SO scared I would tire more easily than others because of bed rest, but once I had the epidural I napped a bit, and the nurse let me have soda, so between that, the adrenaline, and the promise of a rare cheeseburger on the other side, I was pumped! Hang in there, mama! You'll be great.

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM »
I started bed rest at 21 weeks. I had to be induced at 39 weeks and 2 days. I delivered vaginally after 12 hours of labor. It wasn't difficult at all.
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

threacatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM »
I started bedrest at 11 weeks last pregnancy, and delivered at 39+6. After 26 weeks of bedrest for me, and 3 days in the Nicu for Linnea, it was really hard to take care of her. I found that walking a few laps in our local mall 5 days a week after she was born helped a lot. (It's really easy(low impact) exercise and helped me regain some of my muscle tone
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012 at 09:54 PM »
thanks for the tips ladies.  My biggest fear with trying to deliver vaginally is that one will come out, and then they will have to take the other one by c-section.  Recovering from both would be the worst.  I really want a vaginal delivery but there are only 6 doctors at my hospital experienced with breach extractions.  The others won't even try, and will just insist I have a c-section.  Hopefully baby B turns around and puts his head down, then we should be  a go with hopefully minimal complications.  Anyone had twins with a breach extraction?  How did it go?
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest