Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: She's Going to Keep Us on Our Toes!  (Read 1859 times)

littlefighter

• View Profile
She's Going to Keep Us on Our Toes!
« on: March 17, 2012 at 03:48 PM »
My name is Lisa and I'm a first time mom at 29 y/o.  We are having a little girl, original due date May 1st.  After having several surprises with this pregnancy (bleeding at 13 wks, contractions started at 20 wks and never stopped, bedrest twice, ER twice, countless ultrasounds and doctor visits) she gave us our biggest surprise Mar 6th, my water broke at 32wks.  Through it all, mom and baby girl have remained healthy.  We definitely have a little fighter!

Most assuredly, this was not the plan I had for my pregnancy.  Nothing has gone according to plan or how I expected, but I guess that's pregnancy for you.  I am so thankful for the quick reactions of the doctors once they determined I had a pPROM.  I was hooked up to an IV immediately with fluids and antibiotics, giving the anti-contraction medication, and given my first steroid shot.  What a blessing to be able to get both steroid shots in for her lung development.  The only thing I am going to be focusing on once she makes her way into this world is that little cry of hers.  I've never wanted a baby to cry so hard in my life.  I'm praying we hear it loud and clear.  I didn't expect this process to go as smoothly as it has.  I never thought we would make it to 34wks but here we are and it's only 5 days away.  I really believed the contractions would start up again since I have had them for so much of this pregnancy, but aside from one false alarm (contractions progressing all day until they were 12 minutes apart by 9pm and then just stopping at 5am) they have not been consistent or a concern.  So far no signs of infection and every time the baby is on the monitor she has good variation in her HR.

They tell me they will begin the process of inducing on Monday night if all stays the same.  They will begin with the ripening of the cervix and then start the pitocin Tuesday morning,  Two doctors have told me to expect it to take as much as 3 or 4 days before I have the baby!  I hope this is not true!  My nurse today said that in the cases she has seen, most pPROMs go fairly quickly because their water has already broke and the baby is smaller so pushing does not take as long.  I pray that the nurse is right, but in the end, just want what is best for our little girl.  I'm anxious also because I have heard labor is much more painful and intense when you are induced.  And also, that women who are induced tend to go through all that labor only to end up needing a C-section.  I have never had a surgery or even broken a bone so the thought of a C-section makes me anxious, but if it's best for the baby I won't hesitate.  It's just difficult having all these uncertainties.  Not knowing how it's going to happen or when or if the baby is going to be ok or how long she is going to need to stay in the NICU.  My whole world is just a bunch of uncertainties and I am trying to cling to God and all the times He has brought us through safely thus far.

Each day is that much closer to the goal. 4 more days to go!!  Thanks for reading my story and for sharing yours.
pPROM at 32wks. holdin on strong till 34wks (03/20/12)! baby girl is my little fighter :)

everhopeful

• View Profile
Re: She's Going to Keep Us on Our Toes!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012 at 02:56 AM »
What a journey!!! I have had 3 preterm losses due to waters rupturing early. I am currently 32 weeks and 1 day. You have done an amazing job so far and so glad that you managed to get steroids in. I pray that all will go smoothly with your labour. You are in the best place and I would love to read an update to see how all goes. Take care and try not to worry too much. I am sure all will be fine. ;D

littlefighter

• View Profile
Re: She's Going to Keep Us on Our Toes!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM »
Thank you so much for your encouragement!  Tomorrow marks 34wks and they will begin the ripening process in the evening.  I can't believe bedrest is almost over! :)

I'm so glad that you have made it to 32wks!  That's awesome!  I just read your story of this pregnancy and my heart aches for you.  I pray that this pregnancy is successful!  Are you close to a hospital that has neonatal capabilities now??  Making it to 32wks in and of itself is fabulous!  That is how far I was when my water broke and they said that pregnancies at 32wks have a 90% survival rate so I am very hopeful for you!  It was a wonderful idea on your part to make the bedrest stricter than recommended.  Even though it is a helpless/frustrating experience it is so healing for the baby and that makes it all worth it!  Keep drinking that water too!  That made the biggest difference for me when I was having contractions and cramping.  Can't wait to hear your success story!  You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM by littlefighter »
pPROM at 32wks. holdin on strong till 34wks (03/20/12)! baby girl is my little fighter :)