Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Incompetent cervix  (Read 12129 times)

Felisha86

• View Profile
Incompetent cervix
« on: December 08, 2011 at 06:47 PM »
Hi everyone,
Im new to this site so I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Felisha and I am currently 25 weeks + 1 day pregnant with a baby boy. I was diagnosed last year with incompetent cervix when I lost my first baby boy at 21 weeks. The only symptom I had was bloody discharge so I went to my OB's office to get checked out. She sent me straight to L & D because I was fully dialated with bulging membranes. Scariest day of my life!
So this time around I had a cerclage placed at 16 weeks and I was already starting to shorten a little and I've been on bedrest since the first trimester. At 20 weeks my cervix measured at 4.2, at 23 weeks I measured 3.2, and now I am at a 2.9 with funneling. I go for cervical checks every 2 weeks now but I am still scared to death! I want to hold him in till at least cerclage removal!
I would love to hear about others experiences with IC (good or bad).  Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully for replies :)

Smithuga

• View Profile
Re: Incompetent cervix
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011 at 07:48 PM »
I am so sorry about your loss. 25 weeks is already past viability, so congrats on making it that far! I had a LEEP procedure previously, therefore was being monitored for cervical length checks. At 16 weeks I was 3.6 and by 20 weeks I was measuring 1.3; I then had an emergency Cerclage placed and was measuring between 1.8 and 2.2 until week 30 when my cervix thinned out completely and the Cerclage detached. They "officially" removed the Cerclage at 36 weeks and I am now 37 weeks 3 days with no cervix and still pregnant! Oh and I was on strict bed rest the entire time. You are in my thoughts and prayers, this can be a very lonely, scary journey, but strength in knowing you are getting the greatest gift of all! GL!

angelwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011 at 11:02 AM »
Felisha-
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  Congratulations on having made it to 25 weeks!  I am pregnant with twins and at 26 weeks I was dilated 1cm and my cervix length was less than 1cm.  They told me it was too late to do an emergency cerclage so they put me on strict bedrest.  I was also more than 75% effaced.  While the funneling has increased to 85%, I have not dilated anymore and my cervix is measuring a little bit thicker than at 26 weeks!  I am now going in for weekly checks to monitor my cervix, etc.
All that to say that I am 30 weeks today and still hanging in there! So there is definitely hope for that baby to stay put for awhile! 
Good luck!!!
Boy/girl twins EDD Feb 17, 2011
Bed rest beginning at 26 weeks 5 days

sjaz09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011 at 02:45 PM »
Hi. Welcome and so sorry to hear about your loss.

I have had similar cervical measurements this pregnancy (3.1 at 18 weeks, 2.7 at 20 weeks, and 2.3 at 22 weeks) which is when I had my cerclage. Since my cerclage things have remained stable and I have been on mod. bed rest. I have a friend with IC who suffered a loss with her second pregnancy and had an early cerclage with her second and carried full term. I have heard and read that the "early" cerclages have much success. So stay hydrated and listen to your body.

I am 27 weeks and next week is my first milestone, making it to 28 weeks when I had my daughter in PTL.

Hang in there!!
Mommy to Haley (gest. 28 week 1 day) born June 2009.
Hoping for a healthy Baby Boy due March 8, 2012; Bedrest @ 22 weeks for IC

Julez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011 at 10:30 AM »
I also have an incompetent cervix.  It was a little bit of a surprise as this is my second pregnancy and I had no issues with my first and he was a big boy-8 lbs, 10 oz. but when I went to my 20 week comp. ultrasound they saw funneling and when I came back a week later for a "quick check" to make sure it hadnt worsened I was 4 cm. dialeted with bulging membranes.  They did an emergency cerclage after having me lay practically on my head for two days (trallenberg position?), sent me home and now I'm at 29 weeks-on complete bedrest (which I am SO over).  Good luck to you-stay positive!  You can do it!

Here's a little cervix joke:  "My cervix is so incompetent (How incompetent is it?)  My cervix is so incompetent it cant balance the federal budget either.  (Did I mention I've been on bedrest for 8 weeks?  I'm going a little crazy...)

jillv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011 at 03:46 PM »
Sorry about your loss.  It was discovered that I had a short cervix at week 20 but from week 20-24 we watched it weekly and it was dynamic enough that the doctor opted not to do a cerclage.  Well, sure enough at week 25 it shortened drastically and I was admitted into the hospital.  I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and then discharged when it seemed stable.  I've now made it to 34 weeks but have been on bed rest for a total of 10 weeks!  I'm going crazy, yet try to remember each day is a gift.  At week 32 my cervix was 8 mm and can't believe she's hanging on.  Hang in there and it does appear there is something to this bed rest as frustrating as it can be. 

ABig30

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM »
I have a positive story! 

I was diagnosed with IC at 17 weeks in July of 2011- found it changing on a intravaginal u/s.  Had  a cerclage placed and was on strict bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy.  On the day I was scheduled to have my cerclage removed- my water broke and DD was born 14 hours later! 

These were the toughest times in my life, but the reward of a beautiful baby girl made it all worthwhile.  Bedrest does work, stay strong, remain positive and I wish you ladies all the best.
Bedrest on July 14, 2011  (17 weeks)for incompetent cervix and cerclage.
Off bedrest on November 8, 2011 (34 weeks)
Mom to beautiful baby girl Amélie born on November 22, 2011 (36 +4)

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012 at 08:20 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your loss as well.  This is my second pregnancy and i am having twins.  I had no issues in my first pregnancy, but at my 23 week ultrasound it was discovered that my cervix was measuring 1.7cm and was funneling.  I have now been hospitalized and am on pretty strict bed rest.  It is so tough, and scary as you constantly worry that your baby(ies) are going to come early.  I keep reading positive stories though and so i have hope that I can make it to atleast 34 week!! I wish you luck.