Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: feeling discouraged  (Read 7980 times)

jp99

• View Profile
feeling discouraged
« on: April 04, 2012 at 11:25 AM »
Hi.  I have been on hospital bed rest now for 12 days and bed rest for a total of 20 days.  I am 25 weeks 5 days pregnant with twins and my cervix is not co-operating at all!! On March 15th it was discovered by ultrasound that my cervix was funnelling and was measuring at 1.7cm.  Yesterday i had a repeat ultrasound and was told that my cervix was now at 1cm.  So despite laying in bed for probably 22 out of 24 hours in the day its just continuing to shorten.  The doctor told me yesterday that a realistic goal for me at this point would be to make it to 28 weeks.  This was not what i wanted to hear, and now I feel like I am just in a waiting game for labor to start.  I am so scared to have really preemie babies and keep trying to tell myself that I can make it to at least 32 weeks.  The doctors keep telling me that my situation is so different because I am carrying twins and that if it was just a single baby that they would say I could make it a lot longer.  I am wondering if there are any other twin momma's in a similar situation to me who have made it farther than 28 weeks with a cervix at 1cm with the funnelling.  Thanks!!

MamaOfZee

• View Profile
Re: feeling discouraged
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012 at 01:47 PM »
Don't be discouraged! At my 20 week appointment, I was told I have a less than a 1 cm cervix and funneling. I was also pregnant with twins. I was put on strict bedrest. My doctors were pretty pessimistic ... They told me that they'd do steroids if I made it to 24 weeks. But really they prepared for the worst.

I delivered perfectly healthy twins at 38 weeks/3 days.  I did not get progesterone or a cerclage. I delivered full term with nothing but good old fashioned bedrest.  All through my weeks and weeks of bedrest, my doctors told me I was close to delivering. I was 4 cm dilated at 30 weeks. At 35 weeks I was 5-6 cm dilated. At my 38 week appointment, everyone was shocked I was still around to discuss inductions. However, I went into labor on my own.

My twins are 11 weeks. They were born about 6 lbs each and had no nicu time.

Bedrest does work! Don't get down!!!

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012 at 04:39 PM »
I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with twins, was discovered at 24 weeks that my cervix was 1.9 with funneling combined with contractions every five minutes.  I was hospitalized overnight for observation and then sent home on modified bedrest.  Still waiting for a positive ffn test, they have all been negative.  In my 8th week of bedrest and made it with a very short cervix.  I don't even know where it is at right now, they don't want to check it for fear of disturbing it and causing more problems.  Oh procardia for contractions and take progesterone.  Can't wait to meet my little ones.  They are really big for twins which is causing most of my problems, but I made it this far on modified bestrest, so don't give up hope yet.  We will probably end up having to be induced after all of this.  Stay positive!
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012 at 08:19 PM »
Thanks Ladies - what great stories!  You both have reminded me to stop listening to my doctors predictions because really what do they know.  All i can do is keep doing what I am doing and hope for the best.  One day at a time!! Thanks again.

winniewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012 at 09:38 AM »
Hopefully this encourages you - my sister's cervix was shortened to 1.6 at 30 weeks with a singlet - and she made it to 40 weeks on bedrest (though she started modified bedrest at 36 or so weeks).  Good luck!
Home bedrest since 30.5 weeks due to pre-term labor (contractions and dilation).  Due with first baby May 27, 2012.

everhopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012 at 05:13 AM »
Please do not feel discouraged.  After losing 3 babies to PTL, I began contracting on this baby at 18 weeks even with weekly P17 injections .  At 20 weeks my cervix was 2cm and I was put on bed rest at 22 weeks with adelat (nifedipine) and had steroids at 23.5 weeks when babys weight was 1lb 6oz.  I am now 35w 2d and have been on modified bedrest since 29 weeks.  All medication has now been stopped and I will be having my stitch cut in 1 week. I am astounded I have made it this far. I really pray that you make it much further and remember you are in the best place.  Please try to rest and have faith. I will be thinking of you  :)

n1salas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012 at 01:15 PM »
Hey mama, my MD gave me tons of hope when I was 1.4 cm funneling and 28 weeks.(twins!!) Yes its true that a 2000 new england journal of medicine study showed that moms with cervix's like ours have a higher risk of preterm labor at or around 32 weeks, but we also have a 50 percent chance of making it longer. I was on bed rest for premature labor and a short annoying cervix at 24 weeks but I am going to be 32 on Tuesday.

I had an appt today I am 2cm dilated and 25 percent effaced but I am still not worried. I just keep seeing my fat healthy babies, when i get down I just say fat healthy babies and I take a deep breath. You can give yourself positive energy. Because negative energy is not going to help.

Are you seeing a MFM MD? Do they have you on progestrone supp? Did you have an Ffn test at anytime?

Here is the thing just because you have a debbie down of an MD does not mean that you should play into that. You hold your head and your cervix up high and you keep those babes cooking.

niana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM »
They are really big for twins which is causing most of my problems, but I made it this far on modified bestrest, so don't give up hope yet.  We will probably end up having to be induced after all of this.  Stay positive!