Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed rest and worried about bills  (Read 2817 times)

MomInWI2009

• View Profile
Bed rest and worried about bills
« on: August 22, 2009 at 03:29 AM »
I am 35 weeks along with my first child, a boy.  I have been having elevated blood pressure readings since June/July, but my urine and labs were always good...  my doctor put me on no overtime (nothing over 40 hours) back in June as my blood pressure was sometimes hit or miss and was trying to avoid any complications... my boss was not very understanding, to say it mildly, which caused more stress...

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, the doctor strongly recommended bed rest because of my blood pressure continuing to rise.  My spouse is not currently working a fulltime job because he went back to school for a career change.  I carry all the insurance and most of the income thru my job.  So, my doctor agreed to work with me - lay down as often as I could on my left side and follow ups 2x per week.  I had to tell my boss that I needed to rest during the day at work... again, not the greatest response.  (We have a work from home option, many partake in it, I even use a laptop for my job, but she is not letting me work from home... it's a long story, but we do not have a great working relationship and she is a control freak.)

Well, my doctor was out and I had a follow up with his partner last night... and he admitted me to the hospital... thankfully my labs all checked out, my blood pressure went down almost immediately, and the baby monitor showed baby as doing great.  (From the ultrasounds we have had done, he is currently showing to be 7.6lbs and very active with a good heartbeat.  My dr has been talking to me about having the baby early because of his size.)  So, I was released without an overnight stay.  But, with some very stern words that I am now NOT WORKING OUTSIDE THE HOME, two hours of rest in the morning, afternoon, and evening.

I'm just curious how others are dealing with being on disability?  I will have to apply for short term disability with work on Monday, as well as change my FMLA paperwork.  We are still buying items to get ready for the baby, and this added stress of no money coming in is probably going to wreak havoc on my blood pressure.  (From others I know who have been on disability at work it can take a LONG WHILE for it to come thru...)  Tips, suggestions, others' stories would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!  --I have a "mild" version of Type A personality so even though I've only been on bed rest for, oh, not even 12 hous, I am going crazy... 

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Bed rest and worried about bills
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM »
Hello! Welcome to the forum. You post an excellent question about applying for disability, dealing with bills, etc. I tweeted a request on Twitter, so hopefully some other bed rest moms will have some advice and experience to share with you here.

What can you tell us about the process so far? So you applied for short-term disability through work? And what kind of coverage does that provide; for example, a certain percentage of your salary?

Thanks for sharing!

lilcapmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009 at 09:50 PM »
Wow. I feel for you.  I have been on best rest since 7/06/09, with a little more than 3 of those weeks spent in the hospital.  I have been lucky enough to continue working remotely this whole time.  I know my stress levels would be much higher if my boss was not super understanding and very willing to work around doctor's appointments and my needs to rest during my last trimester.

Your health and the baby's health is what is most important right now. Hang in there and I send you my best wishes. 

MomInWI2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009 at 03:46 AM »
Thank you...

It is frustrating having a boss who is a control freak and having the tools to work from home, but not being allowed to do it.  She has not been very understanding the whole pregnancy, and so this was one thing she could control, and so she did.  Decisions for remote work are up to manager discretion, and so...  right now I have to say after the way she has acted, I do not even want to work from home.  I had been working so hard to stay working and apparently just harming myself and potentially the baby by doing so, and so now I'm just tired. 

I did apply for short term disability and was already approved.  I don't know what that all means yet (what percentage of my pay, if any, will be given), because my boss had originally told me if I was put on bed rest I would have to use vacation time to cover it.  --I have been keeping her updated as the pregnancy went on, and so she knew this day might come.  I was trying to be upfront about it all.

My last check up went well - my initial blood pressure was lower than it has been for some time, still high, but it was encouraging. 

And, WOW, lilcapmom!  ... I'm impressed with how well you are handling it!  (and for how long!)

lilcapmom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM »
Glad to hear your last check up went well and that your short term disability was already approved. Hopefully that will take some of the stress off of you.

As I get closer to closer to 37 weeks, I am finding it harder to be good and stay on bed rest. There are so many things I really want to get up and do around the house. Being able to continue to work has really helped me make it through these last 8 weeks. I work remotely from my boss (he is in Oregon and I am in Florida), so my relationship with him hasn't changed much since I have been working from home or from the hospital. His willingness to be so flexible and the concern he has shown toward my health and the baby's well being has definately helped my attitude for doing as much as I can until the baby arrives.

Focus on keeping your little one cooking for a few more weeks!