Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: bedrest positions suggestions for short cervix??  (Read 14207 times)

studioz27

• View Profile
bedrest positions suggestions for short cervix??
« on: April 04, 2012 at 06:34 PM »
Hi! Im a newbie and have been on bedrest now for 6 days for a short cervix ( 2.3 at 27+6) and usually stay on my side. Did anyone get any other positioning recommendations, such as being in a recliner type chair to take pressure off the cervix? Or are most ladies out there pretty much laying sidelying. Please let me know, hopefully i'm doing this right! This is my third child and I had 2 previous 34 weekers. The first one was PPROM out of the blue, with the second at 31 weeks I wasnt feeling right and went to obgyn who told me i was in labor and contracting every 10 minutes, given steroids and trebutaline and sent home to then PPROM at 34 wks. Now, being closely monitored due to history, I've been given transvaginal sonograms every 2 weeks, as just  last week they found this shortened cervix :( and Im on full blown bedrest. ( 2 weeks before that I went to L&B for constant but irregular contractions or stomach tightenings, got steroids for lungs and medication to calm my uterus)..
Im also on the p17 shots...
 I'm currently 28+4, praying for each new day to come and baby to stay in, nervous as ever for the what ifs... anyway, let me know about your positioning please for short cervix, making sure Im doing this bedrest thing right! Thanks everyone!

Rosa

• View Profile
Re: bedrest positions suggestions for short cervix??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012 at 11:22 PM »
i started bedrest at home 5 weeks ago, when my cervix was measuring 1.4, i had toilet privileges and was sitting up to eat. 2 weeks later my cervix was 8mm and i was admitted to hospital strict bedrest, in t first week there i wasn't even allowed showers and had to eat lying down (as much as possible). 1 week later my cervix was 1cm and has stayed stable since. No special positions, just lie on my side, try not to get up to even shower. Woke up last night several times with so much pain in both my hips, i just wanted to sit up or even get up... Lied on my back for a bit. T pain seems a bit better this morning. Guess have to lie on my side at different angles and do some leg exercises to avoid getting stiff... Oh, while in hospital i was able to adjust t bed to b slightly raised from my waist down, not sure if it helped t cervix but was good to change positions now and again. i'm on week 29 + 5days now. Hang in there and hope you keep cooking it a bit longer. :)
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35

studioz27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012 at 11:38 PM »
thank you so much rosa for your experiences. Thats great that you are still doing well. I go tomorrow to check my cervix, we're just a week apart from each other! Hopefully we'll keep getting good news. I find that when I get up to go to the bathroom, my stomach quickly tightens. Are you on progesterone too? Today my family brought me in one of our zero gravity lawn chairs from the patio.. i must say it was a nice change!:) I feel I can't wait to get in the "30" zone. Feels safer! Take it easy :)

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012 at 12:52 AM »
i initially started t progesterone pessaries, but 2 weeks later my cervix was half t size so i was put on not-too-strict bedrest at home. I'm still doing t progesterone, it's hard to say if it's making any difference but from what i've read, i can't stop it now coz t drop in progesterone is associated with t onset of labour. I think being strict and stayin horizontal is workin more than anything. Yes, i feel a lot of pressure when i get up and am paranoid so it's giving me t motivation to stay in bed. I'll put up with t hip pain. Take care and good luck.
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35