Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New here. Twins and bed rest in Germany  (Read 3629 times)

german_bedrest

• View Profile
New here. Twins and bed rest in Germany
« on: April 06, 2012 at 11:34 AM »
Hello all, found this a few days ago and like the well balanced articles and forum.

I live in Germany and am in my 24th week with twin boys. It's my first pregnancy. I am on bedrest for 5 weeks now.

My pregnancy got monitored frequently at an early stage already, because it seemed like the kiddos were developing a twin-to-twin-transfusion syndrome. So far that is not the case, the placenta seems to deliver only different amounts of nutrients to each of the boys. They do very well and grow steadily in their own pace, which I am really happy about.
So once I was relieved about this, the next challenge was on its way. My OB found out that my cervix funneled and was only at 2,6 cm - that very day I was forbidden my job and was sent home on moderate bed rest. 4 weeks I spent at home, hardly going out and being in bed mostly. Then the last exam showed that my cervix has opened even more, now only at 1 cm. Ouch! They kept me in the hospital right away and I was pretty overwhelmed finding myself in a strange white linen bed again. Medication, injections, support tights followed, and my first night was felt horrible. I thought I would not be able to do this, I felt like I am stuck within an empty room without a door and my breathing got all shallow. I was scared for the fetus boys, a lot of mind stuff in my head, dark ones, more darkened by the night. Next morning after a little minutes of sleep I felt so much better. The dark thoughts vanished and now one week later I adapted here pretty well, I think. I reminded myself, that everything is a process and takes its time. So I should not be too impatient and give myself and my body some time to adapt. I am also glad for the kindness and support of my partner, friends and family. Now THAT helps a lot, too. Medical staff here is also nice and seems competent within their decisions.

Since then: At the hospital they detected an urine infection, which probably caused the further shortening. I was given antibiotics and now the infection vanished. Woo! Along with this I got steroid shots just in case. They also contemplated about a cerclage, but since things keep cool for now, they think they will not do it. I do hope that my cervix will now strengthen a bit. I really lie down most of the day, even to the toilet I am rolled into in a wheelchair. I really do hope I can make it to the week 30 at least, preferably 32 or 34. The boys do well, they move and poke out, and that feels reassuring.

One question: Medical staff asks me if I feel contractions and stuff. They want me to tell them once I feel something, only the thing is: I never felt any or identified anything as that. That is irritating me, but since I have such a short cervix I must have had some. Any ideas how to identify them?

Best wishes to you all and happy eastern,
Viki

jp99

• View Profile
Re: New here. Twins and bed rest in Germany
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012 at 12:15 PM »
Hello, I too am on hospital bed rest with a cervix measuring 1cm and funnelling.  I am caring twin girls and am 26 weeks today.  Hospital bed rest is tough, i just take it one day at a time.  As for the symptoms of the shortening cervix, i am like you.  I have not felt any contractions.  The only thing i get is occasional cramping and low back pain that lasts for an hour or so and then goes away.  Also, at times I feel enormous pressure down below.  Had the ultrasound not picked up the problem I would never have thought to call my Dr about any of these symptoms. 
Good luck with everything. 

mharris8239

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012 at 02:18 PM »
I am on hospital bed rest as well. My cervix is 1.5 cm. I also have not had any contractions but I don't think you have to in order to have a shortened cervix. In all of my research and in talking with my doctors, at 24 weeks, a cerclage could do more damage than good, sending you into preterm labor so i am glad they decided against that procedure for you. I remember, with my first child, i had preterm labor starting at 26 weeks but I had back labor and had no idea i was having contractions. I would ask your doc about a non-stress test where they monitor your babies heart rates and whether you are having contractions. If you are contracting they can give you medication to calm your uterus. Good luck! I will pray that those babies stay in there until they are strong enough to come out.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM »
Hi, Viki! How has this last week been for you?

How are the boys doing? Behaving, I hope.

--Angela

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM »
viki,  I went in at 24 weeks with contractions, also pregnant with twins.  I had read about Braxton Hicks and thought that was all it was.  They checked my cervix and discovered that I had funneling and had shortened to 1.9.   I was also immediately pulled from work and sent home on modified bed rest after a scary night in labor and delivery.  After two more trips to L&D was given nifedipine and prometrium, both of which seemed to have worked.  Survived 10 weeks and will be 34 weeks tomorrow.  My contractions were painless making them hard to detect.  the most noticable thing was that the right side of my stomach would tighten to almost a point, and the babies would always stop moving during one.  during the tightening the skin on my stomach and the muscles would feel fuzzy, if that makes sense.  the best way I can describe it is how your mouth feels when the novacane wears off.  I would feel that and look down and see that my stomach was rock hard on one side and pointy.  Luckily mine weren't doing anything, just resulting from an angry uterus due to my "excessive fetal growth" as the doctor calls it.  Hope this helps a little.  Everyone feels things differently.   
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest

german_bedrest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012 at 04:54 PM »
Hello all,
thank you for taking your time and sharing your own story and feelings along with advice. I am amazed over and over again by how communicating and sharing helps to sort out my own mixture of thoughts in my mind. Awesome.

It is my fourth week in hospital now. still strict bedrest, although the doctors now allow me to go to the toilet myself and shower once a week (cat wash was always okay though). very nice. that got me some more quality in life here.
I do lie right next to a huge window with a lively view, so that is another good connection to the outside world and life itself. my other roomate and i get along, staff is nice.

my cervix is now at about 8mm, pretty okay. boys are doing great, which I am really grateful about. one is considerably smaller, but grows steadily in its own pace. in the 27th week now, my next goal is the 28th and moreso finishing it.
I am amazed how well I adapted with my current situation, especially considering the fact that I thought of hospital rest as the worst case in first place back at home. it is not that bad. others do it, one is not alone. and if everything else works out (support, etc.), than I am more than happy. little things are suddenly very important and make me smile (little robin on tree outside, birds chirping their melodic orchestras in the early morning. a nurse singing and humming while working, colors, moves, shapes, so many things..).

so far i am on contraction inhabiting medication (Adalat in Germany) three times a day (did not feel any contractions yet). they ultrasound once a week and check for contractions and heartbeat of boys everyday. I feel safe so far. 

Wish you guys to develop and find unimagined power in yourself. you go and hang on!