Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 19 weeks, cerclage, cervix 1.6cm, slight funneling - your inputs pls!  (Read 6792 times)

stayin.P

• View Profile
so i had another appointment today and morphology scan :) great news is baby is doing really well, and of course as gorgeous as they get :) we've decided not to find out the gender this time round, i'm up for a surprise! i will confess though, at the same time i was looking for 'parts' but with my untrained eye i wouldn't have a clue what i was looking at lol.
so the big thing was today my cervix (again!) which at 17 weeks was about 2cm and today at 19 weeks 1.6cm with some funneling. i really don't know why but at each appointment i'm getting shocked with the measurements. honestly i'm not feeling easy about this. has anyone been a similar measurement at 19 weeks and made it through? my docs/midwives are being very optimistic but i'm not sure if i'm only getting half of it. i've also been getting brown spotting these past 5 days or so which i didn't take as anything, but if it continues i have to go back in. also with the cerclage i've been getting niggle naggles and sometimes a hard pulling sensation. at first i was trying to determine weather it's in my head or really happening, but i think it's something i've started to feel more often now.
i guess what i'm interested in hearing is if you've experienced similar, or someone you know has and went past viability in my current situation?

ATesdell

• View Profile
I can't remember my exact measurements, but when I had my cerclage at 20 weeks I almost didn't have a cervix (I think I was around .6) After the Cerclage it grew to almost 2, but shrunk again down to 1.5.  I started the progesterone gel and it finally stayed stable around 1 and then I got to go home after a month of Hospital bed rest.   I will be 35 weeks this Sunday!!!  I have been on bed rest for almost 4 months now.  I believe the progesterone gel is what finally made my cervix stay stable.  You might want to ask about this if you’re not doing it yet.  SO YES - it is possible.  They will take my Cerclage out in a week at 36 weeks and then we will see what happens.  I feel so blessed to still be pregnant!!  I also feel some "tugging" and aches and pains down in that area all the time.  Also menstrual type cramping once in awhile.  I think this is all normal with an IC and a Cerclage.  When I asked about it at my last appointment, my DR said it is very normal. 
BEST OF LUCK - IT CAN BE DONE!!!  Hang in there.  Stay off your feet as much as possible. There were days when I thought I would never make it to 35 weeks and now I'm surprising everyone, including myself!! :)  I just read a story on this site of a gal that had her baby at 35 weeks and 5 days and the baby didn't need any NICU time.  That really gave me hope! :)  I hope my story helps you!

stayin.P

• View Profile
hehe congrats on 35 weeks coming! i can't imagine the worry you must have had at 20 weeks and what a long way you've come!
i'm so happy to hear your story, they pick me up again :) and you are blessed to still be pregnant!!
i'm on 200mg progesterone pessaries, one at night and started them 2 days after my cerclage which was at 15 weeks.
my cleaning lady (she comes with being on 'light activities' lol) had her daughter at 35 weeks, nicu took her for observations and 40 mins later, they were back together! of course her baby was small but was fine enough and didn't need to be in the nicu and from my terrible memory they stayed in the hospital for a few days to make sure everything was smooth.
all the best with baking bubs!  :)

Mcentire

• View Profile
You are such a trooper, I'm sorry the cervical length is so short. It would be pretty freaked out too, but I did make it 14 weeks dilated to 2 cm and managed to deliver term.
This time we had progesterone suppositories until the cerclage at 14  weeks, they switched us to the P17 injection At 17 weeks. I don't know if that is a proper course for you, but you might mention it to your doc. I know you are on modified bedrest, do as little as you can. I know with two boys it's asking a lot from your whole family, but truly take it easy, farm out anything you can. I hope with all my heart that your cervix hangs in there, along with your sanity.  ;D
I did not have any spotting with my cerclage, but lots of the pinchie feelings and some sharp pains, later in pregnancy I had lots of random sharp pains vaginally. They all freak me out. Pay attention to your intuition, if it feels a little weird or too stressful, let it go.

Take care
Mother of 4
#1 2004 full term
#2 2006 born at 37 weeks 1 day after 14 weeks of bed rest due to IC
#3 2009 born at 31 weeks 1 day PROM at 30 weeks with cerclage
#4 2012 born at 36 weeks  2 days IC, cerclage, p17