Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Preeclampsia  (Read 16887 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Preeclampsia
« on: January 29, 2009 at 04:10 AM »
I've come across a  number of women dealing with preeclampsia, or who had preeclampsia that went undiagnosed. If anyone has any questions, I went through it and I'm happy to share everything  I experienced if it means even one woman can avoid what I went through. My preeclampsia led to kidney failure, and I missed the first two weeks of my son's life while I was sick and in the hospital. The recovery was long and frustrating.

The Preeclampsia Foundation (www.preeclampsia.org) is an excellent source of information.

Of course, everyone is welcome to vent, chat, or ask questions here.

--Angela
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009 at 02:35 PM by Angela »

love1221

• View Profile
Re: Preeclampsia
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009 at 05:31 PM »
Mine hasn't turned into Pre-e just yet, thankfully.  My protein is creeping up though, so I'm on hospital bedrest until I deliver.  I'm 35 weeks 2 days today and trying to make it to 37 weeks.

I can't be the only one who is dealing with this!!!  Tell us your stories ladies!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009 at 04:43 AM by love1221 »

babynurse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 at 03:39 PM »
I am 31 weeks pregnant and on bedrest with PIH.  Myblood pressure is stabilizing but my bloodwork and proteins are increasing.  I am nervous as the doctor said if it didn't settle or kept going up in the next few weeks, she will think of delivering.  I had severe symptoms and was hospitalized for it but AM feeling better since starting Labetolol.  When I went in, I had severe headaches, epigastric pain and was seeing spots.  My BP was 171/105.  It has been better but still not perfect.  I am hoping for the best but I find bedrest brutal

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009 at 03:26 AM »
Bed rest IS brutal! It gives you all the time in the world to worry. But it is worth it though, I promise. Every time I look at my little guy, I'm just so in love. I probably won't hold the many months of bed rest against him at least until he's asking to borrow my car. :+)

Do you have anything fun planned for the weekend, as far as visitors or spending time with your man?

JessicaHarrison

• View Profile
Preeclampsia
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009 at 01:31 PM »
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with Preeclampsia 5 days ago. I'm a very get and and go kinda person and bed rest is making me a bit cranky but I know it's best for baby to be able to bake a couple more weeks. Over the weekend I was dealing with extreme waves of nausea! The doctor said it could be liver related and to come into the hospital. Luckily the blood work came back fine and I got to go back home. I have a regular doc appt. later this morning so we'll see if there's any update on a plan of what we're doing. I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow! Yea! ;D

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 at 02:31 AM »
I had the waves of nausea too! Around the same time: weeks 36 to 39 (when I delivered). It was like "Hold up, stop the Earth, somebody turn the lights back on." One doc said it was probably heartburn. :+( 

Glad they checked your liver; I'm guessing they checked your kidney function too. That is measured by checking the "creatinine" level in your blood. For me, it was my kidneys that suffered from the high BP (followed by acute kidney failure after delivery).

Hope you'll continue to let us know how you are doing! In the meantime, here's a list of preeclampsia symptoms to watch for: www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp An easy symptom to miss is hyperactive reflexes. Have them check those at your next appointment. :+)

JessicaHarrison

• View Profile
Preeclampsia
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009 at 04:41 PM »
Does anybody know if preeclampsia inevitable always worsens? My state is currently stable...bedrest is keeping my blood pressure and swelling down very well and besides my 24 hour urine test which was bad, I've had two 1 time checks at the doctor and those didn't show elevated protein levels in my urine. I know preeclampsia can't just go completely away once they know you have it. But, could it stay stable all the way until I naturally go into labor on my own ( I'm 36 weeks today) or is it just a matter of time before it worsens and I'm just lucky so far??

love1221

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009 at 05:46 AM »
I'm not really sure if it's inevitable that it will get worse.  However, when I started having problems at around 33 weeks, my OB made it sound like it would.  At the time she told me that I probably wouldn't make it to 37 weeks before they would have to induce.  My BP was so unstable and my protein was creeping up each time.  I ended up being put on hospital bedrest, and went into labor on my own at 35 weeks 6 days.  I'm stil having issues with pre-eclampsia now...at almost 4 weeks post partum.  The day Alexia came home from the NICU (9 days after I delivered) I was re-admitted to the hospital because of my BP, protein, and reflexes. 
I know how much bed rest sucks.  But, if you can make it work while you're at home, it will be so much easier than being on hospital bedrest!  I didn't follow the rules at home for 2 weeks and ended up in the hospital.  I would have been so much more comfortable in my bed at home...I wish I would have followed the rules!  The nausea is probably caused by heartburn or reflux.  Mine got so much worse the week I was in the hospital.  And just all the added pressure, because baby is taking up more space!

Babynurse:  How's it going?  Just wanted to check and see how you are doing with BP, headaches, and everything!

Shari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009 at 03:50 PM »
Hi JessicaHarrison,

I don't know that it is a definite that it will worsen. My pregnancy hinted at pre-eclampsia. Around week 20 my blood pressure rose but they only put me on restricted bed rest. I had no proteins in my urine at that time. Restricted meant I could get up and around the house, but exercise and any house cleaning was out for me. I didn't swell and my reflexes were good at that time. Around week 24, if my memory is good, they found protein in my urine but it was a +1 so they gave me a week. The next week was a trace and then gone the next week. Then around week 33 my blood pressure slowly started going back up and protein in the urine once again raised its ugly head. Again it was +1 so they let me go a week. There was a trace of protein in week 34 and 35 but they didn't raise any red flags. On week 36 and 5 days, my blood pressure went up to 158/118. No proteins, swelling and my reflexes were fine. Dr. decided to induce me any way. Baby is healthy. I am not.

Since the birth 9 days ago, my blood pressure is steadily up and I ended up in the ER 3 days after I delivered. I am now on Procardia or the generic form Nifedipine ER to lower my blood pressure. It is a steady 120/90 range and calls to my doctor have raised any red flags for him.

So I would say, yes it can stabilize, but I would not think they would let you up from bed rest until they are sure the baby can survive outside the womb. In talking to our pediatrician, because technically our baby is a premmie, he said doctors are really concerned about the 37 week full term statement. 38 weeks is more what they are aiming for. The extra week of baking makes a lot of difference. In our case we are lucky our baby didn't need the extra two weeks my doctor had hoped for.

Even though I was not technically on bedrest, just modified rest, I still was a little stir crazy. My laptop became my lifeline to just play on. I also read a lot of books. At first it was regular books, then my husband got me a Kindle from Amazon for our anniversary, Mother's Day and my birthday present. This allowed me to download books in seconds to read. It became my new toy to play with. He also go me a lot of TV series on DVD for Christmas. He knew bed rest was a possibility at 12 weeks when they put me on medication for gestational diabetes.

Ok, I am a wordy woman! Hang in there. You are so close to the finish line and the reward is so great!

JessicaHarrison

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM »
Love1221 and Shari...Thanks so much for telling your stories!! It's crazy you both are still dealing with PIH post partum I'm praying you both get better really fast!!  I saw my doctor today and my pressure/reflexes were good, no protein in urine for today so he just said the strict bed rest is doing its job. But, he didn't want to press our luck so we are inducing a week from this Wednesday! June 10th is the day and I'll be exactly turning 38 weeks pregnant on that day so it all should work out. I just need to keep up this bed rest for 12 more days!! The funny thing is he checked my cervix and am already almost at 3 cm he said and 80% effaced!! So there is a chance I could go into labor on my own before then but if not he doesn't want to chance the PIH getting bad. So anyway there's the update...thanks again fo sharing!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM by JessicaHarrison »

JessicaHarrison

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009 at 03:31 PM »
So I had a checkup yesterday and my bp was way too high. Doctor said it would be safest for me to deliver. We are inducing tomorrow morning!!! I'll be turning 37 weeks pregnant tomorrow so everything should be fine. We are so excited to meet our new baby boy but nervous as well. Hoping his lungs ect are ready and ok. Well I go in tomorrow morning June 3rd at 5am to be induced, now enjoying my last day of bedrest! Wish me luck :D

Shari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009 at 10:45 PM »
I am keeping you in my prayers, Jessica. My little guy came at 36 weeks and 5 days and his lungs were fine. He still is tiny though, lol. And tomorrow was my original induction date. I would have been 38 weeks 5 days. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Shari

lulu1026

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009 at 01:15 AM »
They are not syaing I have pre-e just yet either. My bp is 153/106 and that is on bedrest. Some protien in my urine but not enough for them to worry yet.

They gave me my second bp med today. Got home and settled before i took it. It was not long before i was ripping my clothes off. My nipples were on fire!!! :o One of the side effects were tingling sensations but this goes far beyond tingle. DH gave me one tylenol and it seems to have helped - some. When I got monitored today they almost did not let me leave. I am sure I will hear it on Thursday when I do see the dr.

No talk of delivery yet from my drs but I will bring it up on Thursday.

pookthy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009 at 03:15 AM »
hello to all, just wanted to introduce myself.

I had PE (worse post-partum) with my first son almost 5 years ago.  I was scared out of my mind and became symptomatic several days after my delivery at which time my BP was as high as 215/112 and my head felt like it was gonna blow off.  Labetalol for 2 months was successful.

I am now 36 weeks and my BP is starting to creep, 130s/80s which really isn't bad at all but i'm off work now and at home taking it easy and keeping a close watch.  Up until now BP was steady at 110ish/70.  I'm really hoping I don't develop the same issues post partum that I did last time.

I look forward to chatting with you.

Pook

lulu1026

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
Went to Dr today to figure out this burning sensations I have been having. He did not say much about it. I almost passed out in the lab so h was more concerned about that. My bp was down but still high. 150/90. Still had protein too. He told me to cut the meds in half.

He also told me I was dehydrated. UGH!

I go get monitored in the morning and back to the dr right after. Apprently I will be going 3 times a week now. They already have all 3 appointments set up for next week.

Very frustrated!

Lulu