Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 90%, 1cm  (Read 4236 times)

abby

• View Profile
90%, 1cm
« on: April 20, 2012 at 03:53 PM »
I am currently 34 weeks 3 days with twins.  Off nifedipine  but on prometrium until 36 weeks.  Doc checked me yesterday and I am dialated to 1cm and 90% effaced.  I have to say I was not disappointed to hear that, soo done with this pregnancy.  Can't wait to meet them.  Anyway, this is my first pregnancy and I don't know what to expect with labor and when it will start.  Has anyone been in this situation?  And how long untl the babies finally came?  Also, what does a real contraction feel like, been having them for 11 weeks, curious when I'll know it's the real deal.  thanks for any input.
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest

Mcentire

• View Profile
Re: 90%, 1cm
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012 at 03:23 PM »
Good for you to make it this far. I hope you make it a couple  more weeks, but I hear ya, I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and are so ready to be done. My impression of a real contraction vs. What they call "irritation" is that a real productive contraction takes my breath away. Lasts about 90 seconds and radiates around to my back. The pressure is so strong I often have to get up and go empty my bladder. The other ones, my belly turns into a hard ball but there is no real pain. I say this after hours on the toco and the nurses explaining which ones they count vs. the ones I felt. Hope this helps. I still would not ignore them no matter how strong if they developed a pattern. I "irritated " my self to 9cm last time, with a cerclage in place  ;D they were regular 10 min apart irritations.
Mother of 4
#1 2004 full term
#2 2006 born at 37 weeks 1 day after 14 weeks of bed rest due to IC
#3 2009 born at 31 weeks 1 day PROM at 30 weeks with cerclage
#4 2012 born at 36 weeks  2 days IC, cerclage, p17

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM »
Congrats on making it so far!! I am sure everyone is different, but for me the real contractions were unmistakable.  Like the worst menstrual cramps you could ever imagine and more.  They were in a regular pattern and when they hit I could not speak or even think, just focus on making it through each contraction at a time.  I can remember asking my midwife how i would know when the real contractions would start and she just smiled and said "oh you will know" and she was right.  Good luck!!

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012 at 02:33 PM »
I agree... You will definitely know when you're having a "real contraction". I agree with Mcentire, the real ones made me feel like I had to use the bathroom and I felt them in my back. Although when I was having preterm labor at 28 weeks with this baby I was just having contractions that were very regular (2-4 minutes apart) and not painful in my back. After drinking water and laying on my left side they didn't stop or slow down so I went into the hospital and had dilated 3 more CMs! So they don't necessarily have to be painful but probably should be regular =) And of course if your water breaks like mine did with my first that is surely unmistakable =D Good luck and congrats!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

Taya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012 at 03:00 AM »
I remember wanting to know what a "real contraction was" for me it was INTENSE Pressure! I wanted to go to the bathroom every time i had a contraction because I felt like that would make some of the pressure go away. It is very intense. I had contractions for 4 weeks 1-5 minutes apart then they would die off and start up again and hour or so later. I understand how confusing it can be. My advice is if you feel like your having contractions and they are getting intense go get checked. Better safe than sorry!

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012 at 01:50 PM »
thanks for all the tips ladies.   My contractions are worst at night, and yes I instantly need to go to the bathroom.  However, there has never been a pattern for more than an hour and they haven't been closer than 10 minutes together.  I'm just worried each of these are dialating me further and I'll end up giving birth on my living room floor.  Good thing my neighbor is trained as a paramedic, vet and retired cop!!  Don't want to have twins at home though, especially since they may need help breathing!  Will see where my cervix is at Thursday i guess!
Bedrest Graduate
14 Weeks of Bedrest

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM »
For those of you who say the real contractions make you feel like you have to go to the bathroom - are you talking about pressure on your bladder or bowels? My BH never stick around for too long but sometimes they come with intense pressure... At last check I was only a fingertip dilated so I assumed these aren't the real deal for me.

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012 at 06:23 PM »
I have pressure on both, depending on what's "on deck", for lack of a better term. Depending on how many contractions I have in a day, I sometimes go #2 5-6 times a day.   today feels like I constantly have to pee because of the position of baby a's head.  he is super low now. I wish they could just say when the babies will come.  Constantly guessing is driving me crazy!!!
Bedrest Graduate
14 Weeks of Bedrest