Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 22 wks,dialated 4cm, membranes exposed, at risk for infection nervous mommy/dad  (Read 27460 times)

dtrumpet2g

• View Profile
This is our first pregnancy and it hasn't been smooth. My wife has been dealing with chronic fatigue and hypertension issues since the beginning of this journey and was put on bed rest at about 11 weeks ..
2 weeks ago, she was feeling pressure in lower abdomen. And felt as though the baby was ready to drop out of her while standing (20 weeks) She immediately went into the emergency room where the doctors examined her and initially said her cervix was short and then they apparently adjusted the camera which reflected a longer cervix(4.2) so they said her symptoms were because of an infection, gave her antibiotics and sent her home (huge mistake).. Conditions continued!! And then we came to get our regular checkup to measure the babies limbs and organs last Friday.
The lab tech did a vaginal exam based on the fact that my wife kept complaining about the synptoms and discovered that my wife was 4cm dialated with membranes bulging and needed to be admitted to the hospital immediately.. The high risk doctor did another exam after we got admitted an told us that he believes that we will be going into labor that night and will most likely lose the baby being that she was 4-5 cm already.. He and his team advised us that we should terminate because there are risks of an infection and membranes are exposed which puts us at a very fragile position. My wife and I spent that night praying and came to the decision that we are not going to terminate this week and let nature take its course unless my wife has an infection that can be of harm to her.. So today, we made it to 23 weeks.. One week away from viability .. My wife's vital signs have been perfect, no symptoms and is doing well with the total bed rest that the doctors have her on. The doctors are still advising us to terminate before the viability milestone as they believe that the possible risks the baby have defects or even living is so low.. We are hanging in there. Trying to be strong, trying to keep our little girl cookin.. We are looking for encouragement and any advise that anyone might have.. The threads have been amazing on this site an I hope that we can make as far as some of the people on here..

-nervous mom/dad

Mom2Z

• View Profile
you are in my thoughts.  Be strong.  Do what you think is right. 
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

afknick

• View Profile
You are in our thoughts. I started leaking fluid at 19 weeks, with a full rupture at 23-- I managed to make it a week before infection set in, but I wasn't dilated prior to the rupture.

I just want you to know that my daughter was born at 23+6. It's not an easy road-- we spent months in the NICU. But there is *some* hope. I don't want to tell you that it's all sunshine and roses, but there are some of us out there.

Is your wife in an inverted position? (Feet higher than her head?) Are they giving antibiotics? Has she gotten steroid shots? What level NICU is available at the hospital?

If you need to talk, or have any questions, feel free to contact me.

All our best wishes. I want you to know that no matter the outcome-- early delivery, months of bedrest, or the loss of your child, you will survive this. We're all here to make sure you do. None of it is easy, and all of it changes you, but we'll do everything in our power to help you through.

Amanda
afarr04@gmail.com
understandingprematurity.com

Mommaof3

• View Profile
My family's thoughts and prayers are with you guys. I hope everything works out for you, there is hope so as long as you two decide what you think is best =) I hope everything works out and you guys end up with a miraculous little girl!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

littlemamadugan

• View Profile
    • a girl with wishes
you are in my prayers and please know that i have a friend right now whose water actually broke at 20 weeks and she has made it to week 33 (!!!!!) on hospital bedrest, VERY little fluid for baby, AND no infection. she has spent a lot of time in the inverted position. and on may 8th, she goes for her c-section....NO ONE thought she'd make it this far. have faith that God will bring you all through this in His time.
i cannot imagine your fear or anxiety. every day is a guessing game, just surround yourself with positivity and supportive people and lay it out for your wife's doctor. ask him/her to support your decision whole heartedly and if that dr cannot do that, then ask the dr to suggest one that will.  i cannot stress enough how important it is to have a doctor who has your back when it comes to these kinds of decisions.
Lily Angelina -9-11-04 @37weeks induced(10weeks bedrest)
Angel baby- due  4-4-11, miscarriage at 8 weeks
Amelia Mae Rose -7-28-11 @36weeks came on her own!(20weeks bedrest)
Cain Arnold due 8-30-12, born on 8-8-12, 36.6 weeks
Jacob Henry due 9-11-16, born 7-14-16 at 31.4 weeks

dtrumpet2g

• View Profile
Hello all..!!! Thank you so much for your support during this difficult time.. I wanted to take the time out and answer the questions Amanda had. My wife is in an inverted position on strict bed rest., she cant even get up to use the bathroom. She is not on antibiotics, the doctors said that it isn't protocol to administer antibiotics without knowing 100% that she has an infection. She is positive for group b strep which also complicates things further. We have to hold on!! We have a very long way to go but we are praying for the best and will keep our baby cookin as long as possible. The good thing is that she isn't showing symptoms.. All tests are perfect and her white blood cell level went down from 11.6 to 10.1. So we are in good shape today. One more week until viability (24 weeks), At that point the doctors will administer the steroids for the baby.. They even said that they may even do it at 23.5 if we get that far.. We are hoping for the best!!

stacem628

• View Profile
I was put on hospital bedrest at 23weeks 2days, 1cm dilated, and a very short cervix.  We got steroids at 24 weeks and made it a total of 4 weeks.  It was hard and extremely scary, but it can be done.  I know that your circumstances aren't the same, but hang in there.  Thinking of you and your baby and wife. 

Any doctors who are pressuring you to terminate-- ask to not see them. See doctors who are supportive-- there will be high risk doctors who are.  You don't need extra stress.
<Connor James>  July 19-21, 2009
27 weeks

Colby John: July 19, 2009
27 weeks

Sydney Hope: May 25, 2011
34 weeks

Zoe Elizabeth: May 25, 2011
34 weeks

Hunter Jacob: March 4, 2013
35 weeks

dtrumpet2g

• View Profile
Thank you for the advice.. We have told doctors already that we will not be terminating at all unless signs of an infection are visible.. Wether are starting to talk less and less about the termination and more about the health of the baby as we move closer to viability at 24 weeks.. We are 23 weeks and 1 day today.. Hoping to last a couple more weeks and at least get a round of steroids in for our little girl  a fighting chance..

Mcentire

• View Profile
Our prayers are with your family.

We went in with our 2nd child at 23 w+ 5 days, dilated to 2, fully effaced, membrane bulging. We spent 10 weeks in hospital on bed rest, we got to come home at 34 weeks. We made it to 37 weeks. We also went through the whole "your baby could die" in the very beginning. It was,terrible. We had amazing doctors and nurses and a lot of support from family and friends. I pray you make it.

Our next pregnancy we had a preventative cerclage, picture perfect until my membrane ruptured at 30 weeks, they administered I.v. Antibiotics prophylacticly in hospital. We,delivered a week later. Our son spent 21 days in the NICU but he is an amazing almost 3 year old now. Have faith. I know not all of these stories have a happy ending, but I pray yours does.

Best Wishes to you and your family.
Mother of 4
#1 2004 full term
#2 2006 born at 37 weeks 1 day after 14 weeks of bed rest due to IC
#3 2009 born at 31 weeks 1 day PROM at 30 weeks with cerclage
#4 2012 born at 36 weeks  2 days IC, cerclage, p17

dtrumpet2g

• View Profile
Today we made 25 Weeks.. So far no changes in our condition.. Very excited that we have been able to cook our baby for 3 weeks.. We received our first dose of steroids at 24 weeks !!! We have a sonogram due on week 26 and we cant wait for that either!! Our chances of survival have increased so much and now that Doctors cant talk about termination anymore they are progressing forward with every thing in the book to keep the baby going!! We know we have a long way to go but we are intent on making it there!!!! Thanks for all the support.. Please keep the stories coming..

Mommaof3

• View Profile
I am SO happy to hear that you guys are still cooking your baby! You guys are going to be GREAT parents!
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

dtrumpet2g

• View Profile
So my wife went into labor last night !!! We had an emergency C-section!! Our daughter was delivered at 25 weeks and 2 days .. She is in NICU and is in stable condition... Very happy we were able to cook her for 24 days and give her a fighting chance!!! Thank you all for your support and I appreciate all te love and support.. My wife is doing ok, lots of pain from the cut.. Blessed , now we have the road to recovery and hoping for the best

Mcentire

• View Profile
Your family is in our prayers
Mother of 4
#1 2004 full term
#2 2006 born at 37 weeks 1 day after 14 weeks of bed rest due to IC
#3 2009 born at 31 weeks 1 day PROM at 30 weeks with cerclage
#4 2012 born at 36 weeks  2 days IC, cerclage, p17

Mommaof3

• View Profile
I am glad to hear that you got a few more weeks out of her and that she's in stable condition! Your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers until you're out of the hospital!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Been thinking about you and your family often. Please post an update when you can.  Don't be afraid to ask for support during this time. There is a huge preemie community ready to help you, and be sure to share with your friends and family the ways they can help you during this time.

Also, there's a wonderful group for parents of preemies here: http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemie Everyone is SO helpful. I really encourage you to join the group.

Also, a group called Graham’s Foundation sends care packages to the parents of micropremies. Request a package here: http://www.grahamsfoundation.org/care_package_request.html

You'll also want to check out Tami Gaines' website: http://www.preemieparents.com. Tami is so inspirational.

Never be afraid to ask for help, or a hug.
--Angela