Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: MIL coming to help - need advice?  (Read 4121 times)

justaboringmom

• View Profile
MIL coming to help - need advice?
« on: September 02, 2009 at 09:47 PM »
My MIL will be here tomorrow to stay until after the baby is born to help out. How do you cope with feeling guilty about her doing all the housework and most of the child care stuff? My MIL is a total neat freak, and I'm not. Especially since I've been on bedrest for several weeks and the boys have been (halfway) doing most of the housework. My house feels like a pig-sty right now... it's driving me nuts and I feel soooooooooo guilty having anyone else clean.

I've been cheating on my bedrest orders the past couple of days, I've done laundry and gone to the grocery store and helped my grandma with some stuff and now I'm paying for it with contractions and lots of pain, so I know I need help.... it's just hard for me to accept it. 

And how do I keep the peace? She's very lenient with my boys, and they both NEED structure. At 13 and 14 years old they've both already had invovement with the juvenile court system (they are my step-sons  but we have full custody). They will TOTALLY take advantage of their grandma being here...

UGH. Just any words of wisdom at all? I'm struggling here....

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: MIL coming to help - need advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009 at 11:17 AM »
Ladies,
Have your MILs been a help or a hassle? Any funny stories to share? Or advice?

justaboringmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 at 07:14 PM »
Mine has been a great help, but also a hassle. She asked me at one point how we lived in such a dirty house. Ummmmm.....  because I've been on bedrest for a while and have been relying on 2 teenage boys to keep up with the chores while DH is remodeling parts of the house? I was a little offended but decided to let it all go. We've had our differences with disciplining the boys, but she's learning the ropes up here and it's getting better.  She has been a GREAT help with getting the laundry done (2 teenages and a toddler make laundry a daily chore!) and cooking and she has actually been forcing the boys to do their chores and do them right, which is a big help! She also watches the toddler whenever I have a dr. appt or need to go somewhere, and she's gone to the football games so the boys have someone there to cheer them on! The biggest thing she's taken over is bathing the toddler every night.... I just can't do it and there's not enough room in the shower for my belly AND a toddler!  So I guess overall it's been good... gets a little better every day!

chastity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
My MIL will be here Monday..  she had been planning on coming down anyways for Christmas..  I LOVE my MIL.. she is one of the greatest people I know.. but I have never been in this situation and usually when she comes down we do pretty much everything together.. and I usually do most of the cooking and cleaning up... So I dont know... it should be intersting.. I am sure it will go fine though. :)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM »
Glad you'll have the help! Since you and your MIL get along so well, this will be a great time for you to bond.