Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Lay in bed, sofa or recliner?  (Read 12090 times)

claire1228

• View Profile
Lay in bed, sofa or recliner?
« on: May 01, 2012 at 11:30 AM »
So, I have kind of a crazy question for ya'll !!  ;D  At 18 weeks I had a cerclage put in due to a short cervix. I have been on bedrest since. I am currently 26 weeks strong !!! My doc told me not to sit upright. He said to always stay in a reclined position, in order to keep pressure off of my cervix. When he discharged me, I asked him if its ok to lay back on a recliner and he said yes. Well, I spend most of the day laying on my reliner (with a few pillows for support). During the afternoon I will usually go lay on the sofa for a few hours. And of course at night I sleep in my bed. So, I am just wondering what is everyone else doing?  Do yall think I should be laying flat (like on the sofa or bed) more often? Thanks for the help !!  ;)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12

claire1228

• View Profile
Re: Lay in bed, sofa or recliner?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012 at 11:37 AM »
Also, how often do ya'll get up? In the mornings I am usually on my feet for 20 min or so getting my 6 yr old fed and off to school. For the rest of they day, I get up only to the bathroom and maybe 1 or 2 times for food or drink. Also I take a bath every night, thinking of starting to bathe every other night. Is this about how much everyone is getting up?
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012 at 07:36 PM »
I am currently in the hospital but I don't think you're doing too much. I sit in my hospital bed in a reclined position all of the time and lay on my side a lot. I was told not to be upright for more than 15 minutes but I am also dilated to 5 and have been for a while so I'm sure that doesn't help. I take a shower every other day and shave every other time I take a shower (except for my underarms, I do those everytime! haha). I think you're doing fine =) I think the main thing is to be at no more than a 45 degree angle or something like that =)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

claire1228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012 at 08:59 PM »
thanks for the reply! I am embarassed to say this, but i have been on bedrest for 8 weeks now and have not shaved my legs since about a week before i was put on bedrest!  :o  i do my underarms but i am scared to have to bend over for that long. i dont wanna ask my  hubby lol, that might be a little much for him! i think imma have to shave this week, i can't take it any longer !!

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012 at 09:28 PM »
everyone is different and there's no way to find out if you're doing too much or too little. I think it all comes down to how paranoid and worried you are. I wasn't being too strict during my first 2 weeks of bedrest at home, i was having showers every day and sitting up to have breakfast, lunch and dinner... I was even doing a bit of washing up now and again... So 2 weeks later my cervix was half t size, down to 8mm and i was put on hospital bedrest - only toilet privileges and even lie down while eating (eat everything with a spoon). My cervix stays stable since. I only shower 3 times a week and haven't washed my hair in ages (too long to dry). Shaving??? I got so hairy during this pregnancy hahaha... I feel like shaving my belly too! But shaving can wait :) maybe i'm being too obcessive but i rather b safe than sorry. To me strict bedrest means strict. Lying down all day and only get up so i don't pee in bed. Myperi had mentioned before that she'd let me go out for lunch and start getting up a bit if i get to week 34. I'm on week 33, saw her yesterday and she said to stay on bedrest and if i make it till t next appointmet, in 2 weeks... Everytime i see her she's really surprised i'm still cookin. I don't think she realises how strict i've been. Being so strict is driving me mad (i started giggling uncontrolably in t waiting room, twice, for no good reason! I'm really losing my marbles!) but i'm just so paranoid i rather b safe than sorry. It sounds stupid but i rather have stinking greasy hair one more day than have a baby in NICU one extra day.
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012 at 09:33 PM »
ps: sorry i went on a bit... Meant to say: i lie in bed all day, it's more confortable. Also, realised while waiting 1hr for my appointment, that i am getting big now and it's not very confortable sitting up - even t baby was complaining about being squashed! ;)
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35

nelgh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012 at 04:57 AM »
Congratulations on making it to 26 weeks!

I've been wondering the exact same things, Claire. I am later in my pregnancy than you, and I don't have a cerclage because my issues were picked up too late for one. I am in the hospital right now on bed rest, and will be going home in a week. Went from 6-8mm of cervix and a big funnel to 15mm of cervix and a smaller funnel. So, I want to have it all figured out before I go home.

My problem is that I want to lay down to sleep, but when I lay down on my side, with pillows and all, I not only feel dizzy, but my tummy hurts terribly. I then start contracting and my uterus stays hard until I am off of my side again. Therefore, I stay on my back at around a 45 degree angle (have an electric/adjustable bed both here in the hospital and, by a stroke of luck, at home.) Doc said it was ok. I keep pillows behind me and often find myself slipping downward, but never flat on my back. I love reclining and recliners, and wish I had one. But my adjustable bed will do.

Conversely, if I am at too steep an angle in the bed I feel like I can't breathe or worse, that I am putting pressure on my cervix. I was sitting around in chairs for a week at home and my cervix got shorter and funnel got bigger. I knew something wasn't right because I kept feeling sore and staying tight and contracting. After a week doing this reclining on back position in the hospital bed, it appears that my cervix is longer and funnel is smaller. So, no more attempting to sleep on my side or sitting in chairs for me! I'm sticking with on back/butt reclining, no less or more than 40-45 degree angle (except for when they monitor my contractions/fetal heartrate-- I'm on my back. And my O2 sat is crappy.)

I am only allowed up to go to the bathroom and I shower every couple of days and sit on a bath/shower stool. I wasn't even allowed to be pushed around outside in a wheelchair because "the ground is too rough" (!) I don't have any children at home, so I can't really speak to having to be up to get kids ready, but I will have to prepare my own food and travel a distance (on the same floor, fortunately) to get to the bathroom. I am going to stick with sitting in the shower here in the hospital, and taking baths (yay!) at home every 2-3 days (gross, yea but hey... I'll try anything. I've got wet wipes in the interim.) I'm doing all this because it seems to have worked here in the hospital.

Of course, being this immobile means I have to watch out for clots, so I am on deep-vein-thrombosis prophylaxis (Fragmin/daltaparin/low molecular weight heparin) shots which I have learned to administer myself. I just hope I don't go into labor while still on this stuff because that would mean no epidural for me (Fragmin and epidurals don't mix, apparently!)

Claire, I think you are doing great being up for only 20 minutes to get your 4 y/o ready, trips to the bathroom and 1 or 2 times for food and baths. That all sounds very efficient. Perhaps when you get further along and the baby is heavier, you may need to do more (getting your 6 year old ready, getting food) while sitting or reclining but I want to encourage you that you can do it if you need to. I have a rolling cart and a small ice-chest shaped fridge I will be using at home. I was thinking of putting the microwave in my room. I was also going to ask for a wheelchair to get around the apartment (it's kind of big) and to the car. The only things I will miss at the hospital is this bedside desk thingy and being brought my meals in bed!

Keep asking these great questions, strategizing, and going strong for the best possible outcome for your pregnancy!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012 at 05:06 AM by nelgh »

claire1228

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012 at 10:28 AM »
Thanks for the responses and encouragement !

Rosa, it's definitely easy to ramble on in this condition, it's not like we get to talk to many people all day haha!! You are right, it is wayy better to be safe than sorry ! I will pray that you make it to 34 weeks and more and deliver a healthy baby ! It will be very nice for you to get to move around a bit more! God willing, when I get to that point, I will also ask my ob if I can move around a little more. I'm so thankful I have my hubby, sister and parents to help with the boys and housework. In a few weeks they are gonna start getting things ready for baby. I have 2 boys and this time it's a girl so we have to get all new clothes, I want EVERYTHING pink !!  :)

Nelgh, I also take heparin shots twice a day. But my doc never said anything about not being able to have an epidural. I definitely having a c section so I have to have an epidural !! I understand your problems with being uncomfy. I don't have any contractions but for the past couple of weeks I am sooo very uncomfortable at night. I toss and turn all night long !! I try to prop up on pillows and also put a pillow between my legs when i lie on my side. It helps a little. Its a possibility that I get admitted into the hospital at some point for the remainder of the pregnancy. My main concern with that is that the beds on the L&D floor are soooooo uncomfortable. I dread it!! No amount of pillows make it better!! But, if I have to do it, then I will have to do it ! I know the further along I go, the bigger the baby gets and the more pressure that puts on my cervix. So I'm thinking in a couple of weeks I may ask either my mom or dad to come in the morning to help get Gabe ready for school. My hubby leaves for work too early, otherwise he would do it. My father is retired so he keeps my 2 year old everyday  and brings him home when my hubby gets home from work. I hate to ask any more from them but I know they are more than willing do do whatever they need to help us ! I will pray for you that you can start to sleep better and deliver a healthy baby. Oh, and that you can have an epidural  ;) !!

isabella087

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019 at 05:06 AM »
The recliner is the best for sleeping, sitting and back pain relief. Modern recliners give you perfect back support and heat therapy which reduces your back pain. The power lift recliners are more comfortable for sleeping. I personally use a sleeping recliner which I bought from this website http://www.chairsadvisor.com/best-recliner-for-sleeping/ . I work on my laptop at night and sleep on the recliner.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019 at 12:09 AM by isabella087 »