Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: do steroid shots wear off ?  (Read 4630 times)

claire1228

• View Profile
do steroid shots wear off ?
« on: May 03, 2012 at 09:13 AM »
Hello ladies, I have a quick question for ya'll. Last week I had a positive FFN so my doctor gave me a round of steroid shots to help develop the baby's lungs in case she were to come early. (From what I hear a positive FFN isn't very accurate?) When I had the shots I was 25w 3d. Just say she is born around 30ish weeks....will the steroid shots still be beneficial to her? Or do they wear off after a certain amount of time? Thanks in advance for all responses !  ;D
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12

german_bedrest

• View Profile
Re: do steroid shots wear off ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012 at 11:08 AM »
At the hospital doctors gave me my first shots at week 24. it was two "halfs" with 24 hours inbetween. They said, it holds up for about 5 to 7 days and then actually wears off. I got another shot (and the last) at week 26, this time only half the usual dosage.
In your case, I'd ask your doctor. He/She can tell you everything about it, I am sure.

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012 at 09:14 PM »
My first week back in the hospital we met with a retired NICU doctor. He said that not very often, but sometimes they give steroid shots early in pregnancy (I think I had my first round at 23 weeks) but there is no solid evidence to prove that these "take" are actually effective that early in the pregnancy but couldn't hurt anything so they do that. I got another round at 28 weeks and there is evidence that it shows that the shots work then. It's like a boost for them, so it's not like they wear off. It was kind of complicated how he explained it but it just sort of accelerates something that helps build lungs! I would definitely ask your doctor about it because they can offer you a much better explanation than I can! It's just not a medicine that needs to stay in the system like heperin or progesterone, it's just meant to speed things up and hope it works :) I hope I made a little sense!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

claire1228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012 at 10:06 PM »
Thanks to both of you....Yes, momma you made sense ! Since i had my first round at 25 weeks, i will definitely see if i can have another round around maybe 29 or 30 weeks. i had another ffn done yesterday that came back negative so i feel alot better about the next 2 weeks !!!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12

stacem628

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012 at 11:32 PM »
I was told they are the most beneficial for 3 weeks.  I got mine with my boys at 24 weeks & then was scheduled to get another round around 28 weeks if I got that far (which I didn't).
<Connor James>  July 19-21, 2009
27 weeks

Colby John: July 19, 2009
27 weeks

Sydney Hope: May 25, 2011
34 weeks

Zoe Elizabeth: May 25, 2011
34 weeks

Hunter Jacob: March 4, 2013
35 weeks