Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 15 weeks of bed rest  (Read 3380 times)

busybaking

• View Profile
15 weeks of bed rest
« on: May 02, 2012 at 10:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been following this website throughout my pregnancy and decided to finally post something because my story may help someone else cope with bed rest :)

This is my first pregnancy and prior to bed rest, I was very active.  I work in a hospital as an occupational therapist and part of my job description was to actually work with women who were on hospital bed rest.  How ironic, however, I don't feel that made bed rest ANY easier for me!  I was an emotional wreck!

My ultrasound tech noticed that I had a short cervix at 21 weeks. She was measuring by using the ultrasound head on the outside of my belly and I believe it was measuring around 3 cm.  It was by chance that my doctor decided to do a trans vaginal ultrasound (TVU) and had me actually bear down..I then funneled down to around 1 cm.  I went straight to the hospital for a rescue cerclage. 

Since the rescue cerclage I have had weekly TVU's, except when things got really short I had translabial ultrasounds as to not irritate my cervix.  After cerclage, at 21 weeks my cervix measured 3.1 cm.  At 25 weeks it went down to 2.4 cm.  At 31 weeks it went down to 1.5 cm.  At 32 weeks it went to 8mm-1.1 cm with funneling...which landed me in the hospital again for 3 days. 

I am now back at home with last cervical measurement of 1.3 at 34 weeks and I don't need to get measured anymore!!!!  I am currently 35 +3 and I can sit up and stand/walk more!  It feels great!!  I also managed to not go into labor last night after hiding out in our basement crawl space because of a possible tornado, ugh!!

My doctor plans to check my cervix next week.  If the stitches look like they are being strained, she will remove them.  If they are fine, she will take them out at week 37 and then I can finally be a "normal" pregnant person!!

I believe in bed rest!  I also believe that God only chooses women who He knows are strong enough to endure this for our babies.   Looking back, these past 15 weeks have been a roller coaster of emotions, but I can say now that it feels like it went fast for me.    Bed rest is only temporary, we are giving our babies a lifetime in return!

Hang in there ladies, we are all stronger than we will ever give ourselves credit for!
First pregnancy
Bed rest at 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix. Healthy boy at 38 weeks!

Second pregnancy
Cerclage at 14 weeks, no bed rest, healthy baby girl at 38 weeks/6 days

Third pregnancy
Cerclage scheduled for 11/11/15

nelgh

• View Profile
Re: 15 weeks of bed rest
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012 at 05:14 AM »
Hi busybaking,

First I want to give you a fancy, foil stamped certificate of accomplishment for 15 whopping weeks on bed rest. I have only been on hospital bed rest for a week and a half and I have NO idea how I am going to do seven more weeks!!

Second, I had no idea that occupational therapists work with women on bed rest. Certainly your experience (if you have done so before) will be invaluable to everyone in the bed rest forum, whether it made things easier for you or not. You know from both sides of the bed now how hard it is. Maybe that will become your specialty :)

Third.... a tornado... hiding in a crawl space !? Holy smokes just the thought of it gives me contractions. Good job not going into labor...

Fourth-- WHY hasn't anyone given me a translabial ultrasound?? I feel like every time they stick anything remotely near my cervix, my cervix gets mad. The other day, the doc digitally dug out a progesterone suppository so he could see the tvu better. OMG it was awful, I said "wait, wait" but he didn't listen. At that meaurement I'd gone up to 15mm, I wouldn't doubt my cervix is shorter again on account of his grabbing around in there. Anyway, I am going to request translabial now. Thank you for that information.

Fifth, I don't know how you did it, but I agree that time passing works wonders. Seems like it went fast once it's over... and time only goes in one direction.... but wow YOU and anyone else here on bed rest longer than two weeks, you all are my heroes.

Congratulations!

busybaking

• View Profile
Re: 15 weeks of bed rest
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012 at 10:45 AM »
Hello neigh,

I hope the next 7 weeks are good to you.  Hospital bed rest is hard.  One morning I burst into tears at the sight of my pathetically small bowl of raisin bran, just as my nurse was walking in to introduce herself to me. 

It depends on the antepartum program at the hospital as to whether or not PT/OT are involved.  Some things that I feel helped me were a "J" shaped body pillow, a wedge pillow to put under my belly when I was on my left side, a shower bench, and a reacher for grabbing things just out reach or that fell on the floor.  I borrowed the pillows from family and our city has a Goodwill that lets you borrow medical equipment free of charge.  They just ask for a donation if able.  I have heard of other organizations such as Lions club, churches, etc. that have medical equipment loan programs. 

In my opinion, another thing that helped is body mechanics and avoiding any movements that made me bear down.  I hate it when I am lying on a table and my doc gives me her hand to hoist me into sitting because it makes you use your abdominal muscles.  Instead I always do a log roll where you roll to your side and use your arm to push you into sitting. that way you don't use your abdominal muscles.  I always exhale when I move from sitting to standing and vice versa to try to avoid any bearing down.  Kind of like breathing during yoga.

As for the translabial ultrasound, I know they are hard to read.  I had 2-3 ultrasound techs in trying to locate the knots of the cerclage and the length of my cervix.  They indicated that they may be less accurate than transvaginal, but since I was 33 and 34 weeks at the time it didn't really matter.  My doctor advocated for it.

I still can't believe I am still pregnant with such a short cervical length.  I guess the cerclage is working.

Take Care!

First pregnancy
Bed rest at 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix. Healthy boy at 38 weeks!

Second pregnancy
Cerclage at 14 weeks, no bed rest, healthy baby girl at 38 weeks/6 days

Third pregnancy
Cerclage scheduled for 11/11/15