Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bedrest again!  (Read 5306 times)

erica11775

• View Profile
Bedrest again!
« on: May 03, 2012 at 04:08 PM »
Well I had really hoped that this time around would be different!

This is my third pregnancy. Jordyn was born November 30,2004 at 34 weeks. I was on bedrest and terbutaline from 19 weeks on. At 33 weeks my water broke and into the hospital we went. That pregnancy was littered with trips to the hospital for bleeding and contracting that never seemed to be explained. Last May I miscarried at 11 weeks.

I was seen very early by my regular OB this time around at which time the Dr was already suggesting that he felt I may be loosing the baby beause of very slow heart rate. A week and a half later I was seen by the perinatologist who said everything looked ok and suggested we sart progesterone shots at 16weeks. I was about 14 weeks when I started cramping and bleeding. My OB blew it off as nothing and told me to stop being such a worrier. At 15 weeks 2 days I started contracting. I started drinking a ton of water and laid down for the rest of the evening. The next day I started to worry when I noticed that there was some bleeding caused by the contracting. I called the Dr and was told to come in the next day. My cervix measured 3.7cm that day and was closed no funneling. I was started on progesterone shots that day and felt alot more heard by the Dr that I saw. On Easter Sunday after using the restroom I stood up and was bleeding profusely. Heavier than any period I have ever had. We were 2 hours from the hospital so we left and drove home by the time I got home the bleeding had slowed. I waited and told the Dr at my appt on Tuesday. I was still bleeding but not near as bad. The Dr did an exam and changed his mind about a cervical length check when he heard the ultrasound was in use and being waited for by the other Dr. 2 weeks later at an appt with the Dr who seems to listen after bleeding and contracting the whole time I was told that my cervix had shortened to 2.8cm. I was put on nifedipine and told to go back to the wonderful world of bedrest where I have been for a week and 2 days now. At todays appt I had made no further change and was told to keep doing what I was doing.We go back to the perinatologist on Monday for our anatomy scan and I was told they would probably remeasure my cervix at that time as well.

We are very blessed to have a wonderful church family that is ready and willing to help out this time. I must say though that I have not quitte humbled myself to the point of letting people in. My wonderful husband is trying to do it all and insists that we don't need any help. Bless his heart I know he is getting exhausted.I am homeschooling my daughter which is becoming increasingly difficult just because I have such a lack of patience. I was so greatful to get a visit from a friend this week who took a few minuted to sit and pray with me and just talk about life stuff. I must say I had to laugh today when I went to the Dr and was winded walking up a flight of steps. I feel very alone and very cheeted again. As I grow out of my clothes  dream of shopping for maternity clothes but at this point I may just start wearing my hubbys clothing no one is going to see my baby bump anyhow. 17 weeks to go!

~Erica

Mommaof3

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest again!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012 at 05:12 PM »
I am sorry that you have to go through this yet again... I am cookin' my third child as well, but this is the first time that I've had to deal with anything like this. I have been on bed rest for almost 10 weeks and have been in the hospital for 5 weeks as of today... I was also admitted for a week before but was allowed to go home before returning again! Ugh... I have never experienced such emotion... Every hour could be different one day and the next you're having an extremely horrible day and then the next you could be having a decent day! It's so crazy!!!

It is always great to have someone willing to help! In my situation though, I have certainly learned that people can talk about wanting to help and offer, offer, offer, but when it comes down to it that's all it ever was, just an offer! I have plenty of people that I know are ready and willing to help though, but my husband is stubborn as well! We have two babies, a 21 month old and a 9 month old... I know some days he has to be going nuts in his own head, but he powers through everyday and listens to my relentless complaining! He is too head strong to ask any of these people for help...

I hope the doctors start taking you a lot more seriously, I know I would be worried as hell just like you! No doubt about it. You have gotten through this before and there's no doubt you can do it again... It can only make you that much of a better and stronger person... Welcome back to the lovely world of bedrest (those are the last words you ever wanted to hear =P)!!!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

jmegio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012 at 08:57 PM »
erica-
i'm right there with you.  this is also my second time on extended bed rest, although i thought we were being proactive enough to avoid it!!  first time, it was mainly due to contractions; this time, a shortened cervix was caught at 23 weeks -- same time bed rest began with my first child  :( it was a major blow.

i know you feel cheated (and i'd be lying if i said i don't become envious of women who are still walking around and enjoying their pregnancies until they safely deliver).  BUT, like me, you're also seeking divine intervention and have a supportive church family.  the Bible tells us to be thankful for our sufferings because they produce perserverance, character, and hope.  i try to praise God for His blessings during times when all i feel like doing is complaining - it really helps!!  trust me, this is an on-going battle, but i truly feel it's what keeps me going in my darkest hours.

i hope you feel His presence as you endure this trying time.  you can do this!!
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

erica11775

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012 at 11:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies and encouragement ladies. My hubby and daughter are off to church and it amazes me how quiet and empty this house is on the weekends.

I am a bit concerned that I may have lost my mucus plug this morning so I am on the lookout for any worsening contractions. I really hate not having any confidence in myself as to when something is not right.

Hope the wekend is finding you ladies comfortable and not so lonely. Have a great week.

Erica

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012 at 11:23 AM »
Hi, Erica.
I think you really do know when something is not right. I'm sorry that first doctor made you feel like you don't. You know your body better than anybody! In fact, recognizing a change in your mucous is very important, and you're right that it could be a sign of preterm labor. Take a look at this page about talking to your doc, and scroll down to NORMAL DISCHARGE VS. LOSING THE MUCUS PLUG (http://www.keepemcookin.com/talk.aspx).

It could easily be nothing to worry about, but you will feel better if you call your perinatologist today and describe what you saw. Also mention any lower back pain, cramping, contractions or tightening. Let's play it safe! Let us know what your doctor says. Sending many prayers and positive thoughts your way!
Angela

Taya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012 at 04:13 AM »
Welcome Erica,
  You have had quite the adventure so far. Hoping things slow down abit for you. I am a bedrest graduate and just wanted to offer you a bit of support and encouragement! Hang in there and don't hesitate to call someone and make your voice be heard! You know your body better than anyone!!! Hang in there! Lots of love and positive thoughts coming your way!

Taya

erica11775

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012 at 11:26 AM »
Well we had our anatomy scan yesterday. I was sure to mention all of my concerns to the nurse during check in. After 45minutes of scanning done by the tech the perinatologist came in and completely rescanned. He was rough and uncarring and I truly believe he looked for something to be wrong just to frighten us and so he had a reason to encourage us to terminate. My hubby was very clear and told him upfront that we were not interested in further studies to look for congenital problems. This upset the Dr who insisted my hubby let him finish telling us why we should proceede with further testing. After another 20 minutes or more of his rough scanning I was in tears and nauseated from the pain I was in. He pointed out a possible kidney issue and made sure to tell me over and over how unusuall it was to start contracting so early and that there really is no good treatment for stopping the contractions at this early stage. I was comforted to see that my cervical length was between 3.1 and 3.3. I completely attribute this to the bedrest. My hubby and I quickly pointed out to our daughter that she was going to have a sister which was confirmed by the tech when our baby gave the textbook leg spread for the gender part of the scan. I was really hoping that htis appt whould be a bit of a comfort no such luck. I still feel terrified that we will never parent this little one and I feel as though none of my concerns were even addressed. I am still concerned that I may be leaking fluid or loosing my mucus plug but he insisted that the bigger concern needed to be weather we could get to a viable point in the pregnancy anyhow. I was disgusted when all the staff in his office failed to be suprised by his behavior and that all agreed when I was glad that the next visit would be with the other Dr in the practice.We return for another scan in 5 weeks at the 24 week mark.Here goes nothing.

Erica

jmegio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012 at 03:30 PM »
how devastating!  would it be too much to change doctors?

know that you have a MUCH bigger power in your court!!
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

Matician

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012 at 03:58 PM »
I agree-change doctors!!! It's hard enough going through a difficult pregnancy and bed rest, but to have a doctor who is not only unsupportive but rude is just too much!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012 at 11:21 PM »
Hi, Erica. I am so frustrated with that doctor while reading your message... but, I'll try to chill out and share what I know. First off, that is wonderful to see that your cervix is stable and in a (relatively) normal range! And thank goodness you'll be seeing a different doctor next time. That ultrasound will be able to tell you so much about your risk of preterm birth, based on your cervix measurement at 24 weeks.

Of course, with the contractions you are having, the mucous discharge and your history of premature rupture of membranes and preterm birth, we don't need to wait to take action. You are an IDEAL candidate for progesterone supplementation. Ask your regular OB if a gel suppository or a weekly injection is the best option for you. There have been proven, excellent results with both. Don't take no for an answer. How soon do you see your regular OB?

Here's more info on progesterone:

PROGESTERONE INJECTIONS AND SUPPOSITORIES
Superior outcomes have been reported in women treated with weekly intramuscular injections of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate, also called 17P and sold under the brand name Makena. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has promoted the use of 17P injections since 2003, following two randomized placebo-controlled trials. In both studies, the participants were women who had experienced a previous singleton preterm birth. In the larger study, women received the progesterone injections starting sometime between weeks 16 and 21, and continuing until delivery or week 37, whichever came first. Women in the 17P group had 34 percent fewer premature births than women given the placebo, and there was a reduction of 42 percent in the rate of preterm births before 32 weeks. In the smaller study, women who received vaginal progesterone suppositories had a preterm birth rate of 2.7 percent, compared to 18.6 percent in the placebo group.

More info: http://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

Keep us posted!

iza_bel_2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012 at 03:35 PM »
Hello Erica,

I am on bedrest since a 13 weeks now almost at the end of my journey as we reached 36 today. My road was long and very bumpy to make the story short 6 bleeds 4 stays at the hospital 2 blood transfusions has been on nifedipine since week 23, progesteron, magnesium and tones of iron to fight the anemia caused by all the blood loss. After each bleed I went through hours of bad contractions and I have still contractions every then and then especially at night...Lost the plug (or had blood strained mucus discharge for days) yes its a sign to be concerned about as it might be sign of premature labor but also its mucus and your body produces lots of it so its easy to replug especially when using progesterone. Same for the cervix, mine shortened after each big wave of contractions and grew back almost every time. Bed rest and good treatment and follow up can sometimes make miracles...   We never though I will make it that far... My baby boy is doing great and we hope for one more week... Please do not loose hope...
I am always infuriated to hear how some doctors are (unkind, some not caring enough and some not doing enough which is the worst) I am blessed with a tremendous doctor on the professional side and human side as well and reading stories where mothers to be get so upset makes me sick. If you can, change doctors as soon as possible. There is also a very good website about irritable uterus a condition not much people and doctors even are aware of (www.irritable-uterus.com/) I am not trying to say that this is the condition you have but you might find some interesting insight. Were they able to see where your bleeding was from? Maybe you can push the medical team to track the causes and not try to find out problems with your baby... Keep tight we hope to hear from you soon...
Boy no1: 38+6 natural birth uneventful pregnancy
Boy no2: 37+4 c-section after 14 weeks of bedrest due to bleeding previa