Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: What do contractions feel like ?  (Read 5842 times)

claire1228

• View Profile
What do contractions feel like ?
« on: May 06, 2012 at 10:52 AM »
I have never had a real contraction. My first pregnancy, everything was going fine then at my 28 week checkup, my doc told me I was dialated to 2cm. I told him that a couple of days before that, it felt like the baby was getting into a tight ball, but that it didn't hurt. He said that was probably a contraction. I thought they hurt? At least that is what I have seen on TLC's Baby Story ! I ended up holding him for 7 more weeks on bedrest and delivered a healthy baby boy via c-section at 35 weeks. Then on my second pregnancy, again everything went fine until 30 weeks when my water broke (the morning of my baby shower, how convenient !). We had to deliever that evening, again via c-section. He was in the NICU for a little over a month but had no serious problems, thank God. Then with this third pregnancy, I had a cerclage at 18 weeks and have been on bedrest since. I'm now 27w2d. I'm not having contractions but I know that it's possible for me to maybe have some at some point. So I'm wondering what do they feel like ? Do the "early on" contractions feel like the baby is balling up real tight? And then is it like horrible period cramps and shooting pain? I know sometimes you can feel it in your back. Is it the same feeling with that? Sorry I kinda went on ! Thanks for the help !  ;)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12

jmegio

• View Profile
Re: What do contractions feel like ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012 at 11:14 AM »
that "balled up" feeling your describing is more than likely a contraction.  now, whether it's a braxton-hick (which does not cause cervical change) or the real deal (which does) can only be determined by a physical exam.  start clocking them - you should not be having more than 4 in an hour, even if they come at irregular frequencies.  yes, they do become more intense as labor progresses and are often marked with lower back pain that moves to the front (or vice versa), with a noticeable rise & fall.  when i knew delivery was near, i felt pressure in my bottom too.  also, feel your tummy - it hardens with a contraction.
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

Mommaof3

• View Profile
Re: What do contractions feel like ?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012 at 11:21 AM »
My experience with contractions is that usually "early on" they do feel like your belly just tightens into a ball! I never had really painful contractions until I get a little further dilated. I dilated to 5 when I was last having regular contractions and those were painful before they got them to stop. The stronger they get the more pressure they seem to put on my bladder and I have to go to the bathroom all the time and then they start to radiate into my back. So yeah... you'll know if you're having them (everyone used to tell me that and I was like whatever but it's the truth). I just feel like they were more painful the more dilated I became. I am still dilated to 5 and have small contractions every now and then that are just that tightening feeling but for the most part if I have an irregular contraction I can feel it really low and it's pretty much like a little beyond severe period cramp. A lot of other people on here are much better at describing their contractions so hopefully they'll help you out a little to :)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)