Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Rescue cerclage and bedrest  (Read 5009 times)

Heather

• View Profile
Rescue cerclage and bedrest
« on: May 09, 2012 at 06:20 PM »
Hi all! It's been very encouraging reading everyone's posts and knowing that there are people out there who understand what I'm going through.  I'm very greatful this site was recommended to me.

I have a 16 month old son who we had to kick out of the womb after his due date, so the last several weeks were quite a surprise for me as I expected to have the same senario this time around.  Everything seemed to be going normal, although completely opposite from my son, until my anatomy scan at 19+2 weeks when we were informed that my cervix was "wide open" and I was driven the couple hundred feet from the dr.s office to the hospital and admitted immediately.  (Thank heavens I had made my husband go with me!)  After being checked by the OB and Perinatology it was concluded that there was only 0.5 cm of cervix and significant funneling, the perinatologist saw debris on the ultrasound and though I might be in preterm labor even though I felt nothing at that point.  Because of the debris he wanted to have us wait over night with me in Trendelenberg and see if things remained the same or progressed over night.  We were told that if anything changed they would not do a cerclage and would let nature take its course, I'd most likely deliver in less than a week; if nothing changed they'd attempt a cerclage, but only had a 25% chance of reaching viability.  Then followed the longest, hardest wait of my life.  The next morning I was taken back to perinatology  and had another ultrasound.  The tech looked at the ultrasound, froze and image and said "That tells all" and left it at that.  I asked her if there was still any cervix left since the whole point of this ultrasound was to see if there was any change or if they would do a cerclage and was told there was but I had been this close yesturday and was now this far and she didn't know how they would be able to stitch it together, but that was up to the dr.  She then went on to tell us that the dr wasn't in yet and would be in in an hour or so, would look at the picture and then come down to talk to us.  That next hour or two was worse then the night before because we thought we were going to loose him (it's another boy!) at that point based on what the dr had told us the day before. 

The doctor finally came and our luck changed.  She was more than willing to attempt to do the cerclage because the worst that would happen is they would accidentally break my water or it would put me into labor, which would happen if they didn't do anything.  We were more than willing to try it, all we wanted was to at least give our boy a chance.  Everything went smoothly and they ended up discharging me 2 days later on strict bedrest and progesteone shots.  I've gone in every 2 weeks since, and so far only gotten good news.  The strict bedrest went to moderate bedrest and then I was even allowed to have increased activity.  I currently am allowed to be up for 1-2 hours 3 times a day.  The doctor that saw me yesturday feels that strict bedrest isn't going to be more of a benefit to me than partial and that the movement will actually decrease some of the emotional toll and the chance for blood clots.  We'll see if that changes at my next check up though.  I just hope I don't over do it in the meantime.  I'm currently 24+4 weeks, so we beat out 25% chance of making it and they are now hopeful that I'll make it to 36-37 weeks! I still have a long way to go though.

Heather

Mommaof3

• View Profile
Re: Rescue cerclage and bedrest
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012 at 10:07 PM »
I am so glad they were able to do something to help you out! It is so nice to hear about proactive doctors, although I have very proactive doctors, I think they might be a little to proactive but that's just because I've been stewing in a hospital for 6 weeks =P I noticed you said that your oldest is only 16 months... I have had my children closer together than that but I was just wondering if they might have said something about your having the kids "close together" being the reason for the "incompetent" cervix? My doctor didn't seem to think that it had much to do with that (that's what started all this and then PTL lead me to dilate to a 5) but said that could be part of the reason. Anyway, so glad things are going good and hope strict bedrest isn't on the horizon for you again!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012 at 02:53 AM »
We have been very blessed with the doctors we have.  I'm surprised and greatful for how things have progressed over the last 5 weeks.  I can only imagine how much harder it would be to be stuck in the hospital.  The few days I was there were very hard, we didn't have my son come because he was happy with grandma and grandpa and I didn't want to upset that if they were going to let me leave, but it was definately tough.  I work in the hospital I was at so I was fortunate to have several visitors once we let people stop by (I didn't have anyone come the first day because we thought we were loosing him and I didn't want to see them). 

My oldest is 16 months, while we planned on having 2, we didn't plan to have them this close. If I make it to 36-37 weeks then they'll be 19 months apart, that thought has been a big shock, but I've come to grasp the idea of being extremely busy for the next few years, and at this point I welcome the challange, it's much better then the alternative.  Mommaof3, how far apart are your kids?  They were pretty stumped at first as to why I had an incompetent cervix this time since my son was so stubborn to come out last time (induction let to pushing for 3.5 hours and then they realized he was too big for my pelvis and did a c-section), but discovered that I had a cervical tear during the c-section that was repaired and they think that is the cause.  While they haven't said anything about the closeness being a factor, I have wondered if it plays a part, maybe more time would have helped, but who knows.

While it's nice being off the strict bedrest, it's also hard. Today was the first day that I've been allowed up for more than the bathroom, food, or drink and everytime I get up I feel like I'm being bad and doing something I shouldn't.  I'm paranoid that I'm going to progress things along even though I was told it was ok (although I have a feeling some of the other perinatologist wouldn't agree with the amount of activity he's allowing, so we'll see what they say at my next appointment).  About a week ago I started having "uterine activity" as the OB called it when I went in and got monitored, it's not enough that they're concerned about it, but every time I feel my uterus tighten it makes me concerned that more is to come (I never had any kind of tightening, contracting, etc with my other son).  Here's to hoping to full term pregnancies!

claire1228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012 at 09:40 PM »
hello heather ! i'm glad to hear that you have made it to almost 25 weeks. i too had a cerclage. i had mine at 18 weeks when my cervix was about 2.1. i had an appt yesterday and it was measuring 1.9, a little shorter than it was so she put me on a round of indocine (sp?). i have also been on the progesterone shots and had a round of steroid shots at 26 weeks ! it has been 10 weeks since the cerclage (i will be 28 weeks tomorrow). my doc has had me on strict bedrest. i am on my feet every morning about 20 minutes or so because i have to help my 6 year old get ready for school. (tomorrow is his last day so i won't have to worry about anymore that after then.) for the rest of the day i get up a few times just to get food/drink or go to bathroom. sometimes while i am up i will do a few quick things like look thru the mail or something. and i bathe every other day now. i was bathing everyday but i switched to every other day last week. even tho your doc says you can be on modified bedrest, if you feel that you are doing too much then you can always cut back. you know your body better than anyone so if you feel that you are pushing yourself then go ahead and rest up more. you will need lots of reserve energy when the baby comes ! you said you are hopeful to make it to 37 weeks so continue to stay positive ! i am also faithful that i will make it full term. let us know how you are doing after your next checkup !
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012 at 01:44 PM »
My kids are about as close as you can get them, although I do know several others with children that are closer. My first two are a year and 10 days apart and if this one makes it until the due date it will be just over 11 months after the second! 3 children just before the oldest is two! It is CRAZY! My first two pregnancies were without complication except for the fact that the first was born at 35 weeks and the second at 34 (I will be 34 weeks tomorrow so I'm becoming increasingly more paranoid about everything that's going on with my body) weeks! So this is all so new and so hard!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012 at 05:35 PM »
After 5 weeks of bedrest and expecting 10 more (they told me they would take me off at 34 weeks) I was excited to hear that they were going to increase my activity level, but I've also been skeptical based on what I know and had already been told.  Plus my cervix was measureing 1.5 this week, which is the lowest I've heard since the cerclage, although this is only the second time I've heard the actual measurement, I'm usually told it's around 2 or there's been no change. With seeing other people's measurements that are on stricter bed rest it does make me wonder.  Plus the last 2 days I've felt the cerclage a lot more than I have in the last few weeks which I'd assume is from moving more.  I know it's best to listen to my body and be on the safe side, so I think I'm going to cut back some so that I'm just doing a slight bit more than I used to, which was pretty close to the same activity level as claire1228; getting up for the bathroom, drinks, quick snacks or meals, and helping get my son ready for daycare (some days more than others, we bumped him up from 2 to 5 days so I wouldn't have the stress and activity of watching him) and I  shower most days (that way my son gets cleaned as well).

Claire1228, they had me on indocin for almost a week after the cerclage, but told me it was to keep the uterus relaxed, did they tell you how it helps the cervix?  Just wondering if that's something I should talk to them about.

Mommaof3, WOW! That is definately close, especially with 3 that close.  How was it when you had the 2nd?  Any tips to make it easier and less hecktic? Congrats on almost 34 weeks, that's great being that far dilated and to continue cooking!