Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: shortening cervix, steroid shots?, p17 shots or gel? Looking for any advice!  (Read 3725 times)

shan2250

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading many of your post now for weeks. Here is a little bit of my background info so far. This is my second pregnancy, no complications other than gestational diabetes, full term induction. At 20 weeks I went in for my level 2 u/s and was told my cervix was shortening (2.5) and funneling. I was told to see my MFM dr in a few days and to be on strict bed rest until then. 3 days later had that appt and cervix was up to 3.7cm and no funneling. I was excited to hear that. 5 days later ended up in L and D for constipation and remeasured at 3.7cm, still no funnel. Was then advised to recheck in 2 weeks. I did that this past Friday (24 weeks now) and was told no funneling but back down to 2.2 cm and my dr told me I can go to dinner, walk a bit, basically increase activity. ???? What??? I'm shorter now. She suggested getting the steroid shots for lung development next week. No mention of the P17 shot or gel??? I'm thinking of calling my MFM dr for another recheck and her advice. What are your thoughts on this situation? I'm extremely nervous and don't want to do anything to hurt my little girl. Any and all comments please. Thank you!

Angela

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1974
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Hi! I think you are right on target getting a second opinion from your MFM. At 24 weeks, a dynamic cervix measuring 2.2 cm is definitely something to keep a close eye on. You're certainly a candidate for the progesterone gel, or possibly the 17P shots. The steroid shots work best within 10 to 14 days prior to delivery, so if delivery doesn't seem imminent, the MFM will likely recommend that you wait. Let us know what the MFM says!

And if you have ANY of these preterm labor symptoms, be sure to call your OB or go to L&D: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx Second deliveries can happen quickly. Stay positive!  ;D

MM2

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
I second that. I dont think thats the best advice, why would the dr schedule you for steroid shots when you aren’t even in preterm labor yet. Its like they're accepting it. I dont think that is acceptable at all. They have to do everything in their power to keep that baby in you. There is no incubator in this world that is like a mothers womb. You have to fight for your baby. Find a doctor thats willing to take all necessary measures to try and halt preterm labor and keep it at bay before throwing the towel in and accepting you will have a preemie. I know sometimes there’s simply nothing they can do, but I'll tell you that bed rest does work miracles and you dont need to be increasing activity if you are starting to thin out and dilate. Find a new doctor ASAP! Good luck!

shan2250

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Thank you ladies!!!! I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I called the MFM today and have an appointment for this Thursday for her to re-evaluate. I'm going to continue to lay low and keep up with the bed rest. I believe I have made it this far because of it. I will keep you posted.

shan2250

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Update: had to go into L&D today. I was having some tightening and some crampy feeling on and off and wanted to make sure all was ok with baby girl. They wound up doing a FFN on me which thankfully came back negative! They checked my cervix manually...ouch. the nurse said it was closed. Still confused about the actual length but I have an appt with my MMF in the morning. Hope to get good news! Praying for all you moms out there.