Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: constipation on bed rest  (Read 4102 times)

shan2250

• View Profile
constipation on bed rest
« on: July 03, 2012 at 07:00 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm on bed rest due to a shortened cervix (2.2) and get extremely constipated. I'm taking 2 colace pills, prune juice, fruit, prunes, drinking lots of water and still bad. I don't want to strain at all and don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

jmegio

• View Profile
Re: constipation on bed rest
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012 at 08:28 PM »
i was/am able to ward off constipation with one colace pill and a 1/2-full dose of miralax, daily.  i also ate/eat a high-fiber cereal in the morning and drank/drink at least 80 ounces of WATER per day.  there was one time i had to try a glycerin suppository only because i knew i would have to strain to go, and i didn't want to get too "backed up."  i don't advise regular usage of suppositories and certainly ask your doctor before starting any drug regimen. 

this worked well for me, even with taking iron supplements (known to cause constipation).  good luck!
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

shan2250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012 at 09:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I will try the high fiber cereal too. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I've alr eady been to L&D for this issue and had to have enema after not going for 8 days. I already have a slow system but not moving is slowing it down even more. Thanks again for your advice.

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM »
I drank a gallon of water a day and two colace pills, one in the am and one at night.  Like clockwork!!  It worked for me. 
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest