Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Finally back home  (Read 3197 times)

jp99

• View Profile
Finally back home
« on: May 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM »
I have been on bed rest for 9 weeks now with IC. I am now 32 weeks with twins.  I was hospitalized 2 hours away from home for a total of 8 weeks and it was like torture being away from my friends and family - especially my 2 and a half year old son.  I was always told that when I reached the 32 week mark that I would be able to be transferred back to the hospital in my home town as they would be able to handle 32 weekers in their NICU.  I couldn't believe it when they told me that my doctor had agreed to accept me back to my hometown and that they were going to let me continue to do my bed rest at home.  I have been home for one day now and I am happy to say that the hospital experience is already becoming a distant memory to me. 
WHen I was being discharged I asked the Dr what my level of activity should be at home.  My cervix is considered to be dynamic now - and at the last U/S it was measured at 1cm with funnelling and membranes in the cervical canal.  The dr told me that I could be as active as I felt because they don't really know for sure that it has been the bed rest that has prevented me from going into labor.  I found this very hard to believe.  I do truly think that laying in bed for most of the day and basically getting up to shower and use the bathroom is what has allowed me to make it this far in this pregnancy.  I have to admit that I am already finding it harder to lay down as much with my little guy being so excited that I am home again, but I am in no way shape or form going to take myself off of bed rest at 32 weeks - that just seems crazy. 
Does anyone else find that their dr's are skeptical that bed rest helps?  I have an appointment with my regular OB this week so I will see what his take on the matter is - and until then I am going to be taking it extremely easy, because having babies at 32 weeks still seems extremely early to me!!
I hope everyone is surviving their bed rest ok :-)

Mommaof3

• View Profile
Re: Finally back home
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012 at 01:04 PM »
I know EXACTLY how you're feeling =) I came home after 6 consecutive weeks in the hospital last weekend an hour away and it has been just what I needed... My spirits are much higher and I don't feel like this is such a horrible thing! My doctors still ordered me to strict bed rest so I do think that they think bed rest is helping... I however have been a little deviant as I like to make my kids breakfast (scrambled eggs, bowls of oatmeal or cereal, etc.) and sit and eat at the table with them =) I missed giving baths so I have also done that a couple of times but so far so good. I have passed the point where I had my second child, so that is a little accomplishment! Today I hit 35 weeks and am still committing myself to bedrest for another week but I do think I would like to go to the beach tonight and watch the sunset. My mom has one of my kids for the weekend so I have to take advantage of it. I do feel bad for my husband who has to take care of 3 of us, but he is doing great.

I have certainly noticed how weak I have become even with this little bit of increased activity. Holding my son wears me out and just basically moving a little more makes me extremely uncomfortable sometimes. I had my last progesterone shot last week so I'm thinking labor is in the near future. If I make it until next weekend this will be my longest pregnancy ever! Haha!

If I were you I would commit to bedrest for another couple of weeks at least! 32 weeks is so early! I know that my stubbornness put me in the hospital because I wanted to pick up a few things while I was out for my 28 weeks appointment... next day I was contracting and dilated to 5 so just be careful, I really think laying in bed helped keep your baby cookin! Good luck =D
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

Rosa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012 at 04:10 AM »
there's no guarantee of how long bedrest will work and everyone's case is slightly different... But doctors might as well say 'do what you like, in t end of t day it's not my problem!'. I was released from hospital when i got to week 28, cervix at 1cm, with no clear instructions regarding how strict to take t bedrest. I didn't bother asking coz in t end i do what i thougt is best: keep it strict! I was on modified bedrest initially and it didn't seem to make any difference, but when i was kept in hospital my cervix lenght stayed stable. I've just got to week 36, i was 2cm dilated 5days ago, and have t feeling i'm going any minute, getting more cramps, loooooads of discharge, lots of pressure... But i'm still staying in bed (standing and sitting up just don't feel confortable anyway!), one more day, and then one more, hopefully another one after that. My peri had mentioned letting me go out for lunch if i reached week 34 but by week 32 she wasn't bothering measure my cervix anymore. Like i give a flyin fig about going out for lunch after all this! It's just good to b out of t hospital, but i would recomend keeping it as strict as you can for as long as you can. There's no proof that bedrest works but for IC i believe it makes a hell of a difference. Don't beat yourself if for whatever reason you can't keep it strict though, coz your mental health is just as important! :)
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012 at 02:00 PM »
Until my last appointment almost 2 weeks ago the doctors were pretty conservative with how much they'd let me do.  I noticed the OB's tended to want me doing less then the peri's.  I had been getting up for the bathroom, food, drink, shower, and to help get my son ready for daycare. At one point I had to go in to be monitored, but the OB told me that what I was doing was working and to keep it up.  At my last appointment the peri told me I could get up for 1-2 hours 3 times a day and that research hasn't proven that bedrest works, if I go into labor it's because I would have anyway.  He wanted me to still take it easy, but wanted me to move around more.  While I was excited at the thought of getting up more, I might have pushed it a little the first 2 days.  I noticed I could feel the cerclage more and that made me wonder about the effects of gravity and pressure on the cerclage and my cervix. Since then I've cut back to closer to what I was at, but still moving a little more.  Enjoy the freedom of being home, but I'd definately take it easy, at least for a few more weeks.

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM »
Thanks ladies.  I am definitely being as strict as possible with myself - regardless of what the doctors tell me because I really do believe that it has been the bed rest that has kept these girls in for as long as this.  Mommaof3 - I am so happy for you that you are also back home with your little ones.  It really is amazing how being back home can lift your spirits and make it all seem doable again.  And I have to agree with you about being so weak after all those weeks of laying in a hospital bed.  I keep saying that even if I wanted to do all these things that there is no way I could physically do them.  My stomach is HUGE at 32 weeks with twins - far bigger than I was at full term with my son.  My back hurts with everything that I do and just changing positions in bed or on the couch gives me very strong braxton hicks, so I am definitely laying low!!
One thing I have really noticed since getting home is the intense urge to nest.  Our house is a mess, nothing is ready for babies, and I just want to de clutter, clean and organize.  I have decided that I am going to have to get some close friends over to help me do all of this!!