Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: IC - short labour? No pain or contractions?  (Read 2749 times)

Rosa

• View Profile
IC - short labour? No pain or contractions?
« on: May 20, 2012 at 07:45 AM »
I've need some advice/reassurance from those who went into labour and had IC and/or were already dilated for a while... Basically i've been reading some 'horror' stories of women who had very short labours and didn't really feel any contractions, even women whose labour went so fast they delivered at home :( short and painless labour would sound wonderfull if it wasn't for t fact that i'm at least half an hours' drive ro t hospital and my partner will be at work all day! So i'm really getting worried about not worrying enough? I just hit 36w and now am getting really anxious... I've been having a lot of pelvic pressure but think this is probably normal. My belly keeps getting hard on and off, but no real pain. I'm just waiting for it to get painfull, but is it going to get painfull? If at least my waters broke i would phone t hospital and get going...

Anyway, i'd just like to know if anyone had a fast labour with no warning, if you don't feel contractions how are you supposed to know? Do i have time to call a cab? I'm guessing t baby won't come out till i push but i read some stories of women who just didn't realise what was happening untill t baby's head started popping out :O should i stop reading nonsense on t internet or what???
first pregnancy, IC - due to Lletz in 2010?
progesterone pessaries since wk 22 - cervix 1.6cm
bedarrest since wk 24 - cervix measure 1.4cm
hospital strict bedarrest at wk 26 - cervix 8mm
back at home, strick bedarrest since week 28 - cervix 1cm
cervix dilated 2cm at week 35

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: IC - short labour? No pain or contractions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012 at 01:11 PM »
Hi, Rosa!
Good news: When your belly gets hard and then soft, that's a contraction. If you have 6 or more of those in an hour, it's time to head to L&D. Pelvic pressure means that things are progressing as they should. Of course, I'd love to see you get to 37 week or beyond, but contractions and pressure at 36 weeks is something not to worry about. I know you've spent weeks and weeks being anxious, but now these are good signs.  ;D

Even with a fast labor, if you call a cab at the point you're having 6 contractions an hour, you'll have time to get there. If your water breaks, head to L&D right away. It may still be hours from that point OR it could be much quicker. Don't do what I did and take a shower before heading to the hospital after your water breaks. Barely made it (though that was with Baby #2). First babies typically take several hours. BUT, as we've learned here, anything is possible and nothing is certain.  ;)

Mommaof3

• View Profile
Re: IC - short labour? No pain or contractions?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012 at 02:06 PM »
Things differ with every pregnancy you know =) With my first my water broke at home and I was in labor for over 18 hours! With my son I dilated to 6 without even knowing it and went in for a "routine" appointment. Was sent to L&D and kept overnight with no changes and sent home and then went back in less than 24 hours later and progressed to 7 and they broke my water and #2 popped right out 20 minutes later =)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)