Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Questioning my son's premature delivery- why didn't they stop it?  (Read 3415 times)

SRKDVMMOM

• View Profile
My son is 2 years old now. I have a malformed uterus with only half having developed, so having one baby is comparable risk to twins in a normal uterus. The pregnancy with him went well until around 28 weeks which is when my cervix started to shorten and I had some contraction activity. I was put on Nifedipine and bed rest at that time, and did a round of betamethazone injections. At 31w4 days I went into premature labor. Contractions were 4-5 minutes apart, regular, uncomfortable, definitely different than the BH I had been having, but I could still walk and talk through them. I believe I lost my mucus plug that morning too. My doctor had me double my nifedipine, and head to the hospital to be assessed in L&D. At that point, when checked, I was maybe dilated to 1-2, and contractions were holding steady. I could still walk and talk through them, though they definitely got my attention. They weren't showing up well on the tocometer either, which for me isn't uncommon, the receptor has to be placed in the correct position to actually capture what my uterus is doing due to its odd shape. One nurse said I wasn't in labor, another was more hesitant. They checked baby's position- he was presenting head first and was doing well. Eventually they gave me a single injection of terbutaline which had no effect on the contraction activity. I sat there for hours contracting while people seemed to be unsure what to do. Eventually I got dilated to 4cm and my bag of fluids was visible. At that time they decided I was going to birth that night/following morning and moved me from triage to actual delivery room.
I read so many stories of women further dilated, worse contractions than this. I was only 31.5 weeks, only dilated to 1-2cm, and having comparably mild contraction activity. In retrospect, I don't know why they didn't try magnesium to stop the contractions, or do more to interrupt labor.
My son spent 47 days in the NICU, and now I wonder if it was even necessary. How far along could I have made it if they had worked to stop the labor?
Does anyone have any incite as to why the decisions that were made were made as such?

I am 27+3 now with our second baby. I have cerclage in place since 13.5 weeks and been on strict bedrest since 13.5 weeks, on progesterone shots since 14.5 weeks, on nifedipine every 4 hours, just had a round of betamethazone since my cervix shrank a bit. I don't want a replay of last birth if I can help it. I am hoping the cerclage makes a big difference and I can hang onto this baby for a bit longer.
Preemie momma
Expecting #2:
-Hemi-uterus
-Cerclage at 13.5 weeks
-Progesterone shots weekly
-Subchorionic hemorrhage at 15 weeks
-Bed rest since 13.5 weeks and counting....

Mcentire

• View Profile
Re: Questioning my son's premature delivery- why didn't they stop it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012 at 08:40 AM »
Congrats  on your current  pregnancy. I am also a two time preemie mom, I have 4 children total. I also have a malformed uterus, heart shape. My first pregnanc was easy, except for the 1 st trimester bleeding. My 2 nd pregnancy we discovered I had IC, 14 weeks of hospital bed rest, delivered t 37 weeks. My 3rd came at 31 weeks, (preventative cerclage at 14 weeks) he spent 25 days in the NICU. My membrane ruptured, they managed to keep him in 1 week and i went into labor, all the terbutaline in the world wasn't stopping him from coming. Also my water had become dangerously low and he was safer out than in, he will be 3 in August .
My 4 th was born last month, she came at 36 weeks ( cerclage, p17 until 34 weeks), she was induced, she was coming anyway, they could have stopped the contractions, but she was not doing well in, she spent 5 days in. The NICU and is 1 month old now.

I can only guess why they didn't stop your labor,talk to your doctor. You should feel comfortable and entitled to go over what happened the last time and find out what the protocol would be if you were in the same position this time around. Good luck and I hope you make it farther this time around.
Mother of 4
#1 2004 full term
#2 2006 born at 37 weeks 1 day after 14 weeks of bed rest due to IC
#3 2009 born at 31 weeks 1 day PROM at 30 weeks with cerclage
#4 2012 born at 36 weeks  2 days IC, cerclage, p17

SRKDVMMOM

• View Profile
Re: Questioning my son's premature delivery- why didn't they stop it?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012 at 04:44 PM »
Good job making it so far with your new addition. I am sorry you missed those four days to the NICU, but glad to hear you are both home safe and sound. I am hoping I will get to chat with my OB next week when I see her to try and find out more. The more I think about my whole birth experience, the more frustrated I get. I am determined not to let the same thing happen this time.
Preemie momma
Expecting #2:
-Hemi-uterus
-Cerclage at 13.5 weeks
-Progesterone shots weekly
-Subchorionic hemorrhage at 15 weeks
-Bed rest since 13.5 weeks and counting....