Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 22 weeks pregnant - 6 weeks of bedrest already - dialated and short cervix  (Read 3941 times)

DarrellnDawnsBaby

• View Profile
Hello everyone... my name is Dawn. I'm a 37 year old Mom pregnant 22 weeks 2 days... I started pre-term labor at 16 weeks and I've been on P17, Procardia, Indocin and now a Terb pump. I was hospitalized at 20 weeks to get on the Terb. I was dialated 1-2cm and my cervical length wa 1.61cm... Now my cervical length is more like 1.4cm, as of last Wednesday...

They completely expected me to deliver this little boy... but I lost a preganancy about 7 months ago due to Trisomy 22 at 20 weeks 6 days and this will definitely be my last pregnancy depsite the outcome... I just can't keep going through this. I'm too old and my body is failing me. But, I have not delivered yet. I'm on strict bedrest with only bathroom privledges (because I have no other choice).

My first goal is 24 weeks, I feel like I can make that.... but I'd really like to make it to 28 weeks at the least. That is the goal I have in my mind. I know that the baby would most likely be ok.

I have a history of PTL although it's been a long time ago. My sons are now 15.5 and 14. I made it from 27 weeks to 35 with my first son. 19 weeks to 34 weeks with my 2nd son... and this one is yet to be determined. My body is dialating and making more cervical change, much more quickly this time.

They will not do a cerclage because the said it would do more damage than good. I have the true definition of preterm labor.

It's been very hard... I have and extremely supportive husband who's done everything from wash my hair to shave my legs and pluck my stray hairs... he feeds me, makes sure I'm medicated... he really is a blessing.  But, even still... bedrest is just hard! It's been over 6 weeks already. And, it seems like forever! And I feel like I have forever ahead of me... only 6 more weeks to make "my" goal of 28 weeks. But, at this point my doctor says... we'll make it to 24 weeks and each day beyond that is a bonus.... I just need this little man to be ok.

I also had a partial placental previa ... which may or may not have resolved itself by now...

So, supporters, people going through the same or similar... anyone with positive outcomes... are welcome to respond. I need all the encouragement I can get!

Izzys Mommy

• View Profile
Re: 22 weeks pregnant - 6 weeks of bedrest already - dialated and short cervix
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009 at 02:10 PM »
Hi!
You can do it! Good for you for sticking to the bed rest and not "cheating"...I have a history of PTL too...I went into preterm labor with my daugther. I dialted 1-2cm, my interal os was completely open, and my water bag was bulging at 21 weeks!! I wasn't given a cerclage at that time because they said it was too late into the pregnancy. I was admitted to LND and then stayed in Ante-partum for the duration of my pregnancy. My doctors said that my daughter would most likely be born in a "couple of weeks". However, the nurses promised that they had seen many mom's go weeks longer because of bed rest!! I was on full bed rest too, except for I had NO bathroom priveleges...I used bed pans.
I made it to 33 wks! My daugther is as healthy as can be!
My first goal was 24 weeks as well, then 28 then 30...
A lot of people said, aren't you sick of being in the hospital and I responded by saying NO, because it's ONE DAY CLOSER to having my baby!!! : )

Keep us posted!

DarrellnDawnsBaby

• View Profile
Re: 22 weeks pregnant - 6 weeks of bedrest already - dialated and short cervix
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009 at 04:45 PM »
Hi!
You can do it! Good for you for sticking to the bed rest and not "cheating"...I have a history of PTL too...I went into preterm labor with my daugther. I dialted 1-2cm, my interal os was completely open, and my water bag was bulging at 21 weeks!! I wasn't given a cerclage at that time because they said it was too late into the pregnancy. I was admitted to LND and then stayed in Ante-partum for the duration of my pregnancy. My doctors said that my daughter would most likely be born in a "couple of weeks". However, the nurses promised that they had seen many mom's go weeks longer because of bed rest!! I was on full bed rest too, except for I had NO bathroom priveleges...I used bed pans.
I made it to 33 wks! My daugther is as healthy as can be!
My first goal was 24 weeks as well, then 28 then 30...
A lot of people said, aren't you sick of being in the hospital and I responded by saying NO, because it's ONE DAY CLOSER to having my baby!!! : )

Keep us posted!

Wow, you are an inspiration! It's getting so hard to lie here day in and day out... how did you manage?! Were you on hospital bedrest? I believe when I was in the hospital it was easier because at least you have the nurses to talk to.... You had a great attitude... that's awesome! :) So happy your baby is healthy!